After fooling with this last week a bunch, I went back to my original server (galvatron/bumblebee). I continued to get 11 digits. Then on July 11 I started getting 10 digits again. So perhaps it's fixed...
I asked two follow-up questions in my ticket:
1. To get a current list of servers. That is »vtwiki.org/wiki/index.php/Server ··· _Choices
Earlier in the week the page was getting an error but now it displays.
2. To answer my original request to fix the issue. That was never responded to. But I just tried all of the "new" servers and they all return 10 digits as I have configured in the CP.
So it does look like the issue is resolved.