Norman, OK

2 recommendations

SoonerAl to Jon Acosta

MVM

to Jon Acosta

Re: Enabling SSID Broadcast

Click for full size
inSSIDer WiFi environment scan example
Personally I always broadcast my two home SSIDs. No reason not to if you use strong encryption, ie. WPA2 or at a minimum WPA, with a long random encryption key/password/passphrase.

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· ity.html

You also might run a short wireless environment survey using inSSIDer. Choose a broadcast channel with the minimum interference from nearby networks. The screen shot is a recent scan of my current wireless environment. I have two networks Boomer and Sooner.

»www.metageek.net/product ··· inssider

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

1 recommendation

Brano

MVM

said by SoonerAl:

Personally I always broadcast my two home SSIDs. No reason not to if you use strong encryption, ie. WPA2 or at a minimum WPA, with a long random encryption key/password/passphrase.

Hiding SSID does not add any additional security whether you have strong or weak encryption/password set.

1) Change the SSID to something else than what's default. Keep it visible.
2) Use WPA2/PSK with strong password
3) You may want to check the channel and use one that is free or least used.

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 edit

SoonerAl

MVM

said by Brano:

said by SoonerAl:

Huh?

Brano
I hate Vogons
MVM
join:2002-06-25
Burlington, ON
(Software) OPNsense
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-AC-PRO
Ubiquiti NanoBeam M5 16

2 edits

3 recommendations

Brano

MVM

said by SoonerAl:

said by Brano:

said by SoonerAl:

Huh?

Hiding SSID does not add any additional security whether you have strong or weak encryption/password set.

(Your sentence implies that you don't need to hide SSID if you have strong encryption. I'm saying hiding SSID has nothing to do with encryption settings. Just don't hide it. Hiding SSID can only bring confusion and longer connect times to some clients or not connect at all.)
twixt
join:2004-06-27
North Vancouver, BC

1 recommendation

twixt to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
said by SoonerAl:

said by Brano:

said by SoonerAl:

Huh?

-

Q: Does taking the numbers off the front door of your house prevent people from breaking in - if the house security is poor?

A: No.

-

All you do when you disable SSID broadcast is make life more difficult for yourself - when it comes time to identify your particular wireless modem.

Note: The "bad guys" can sniff your connection whether you broadcast an SSID or not. Turning off SSID to have a "more secure" network is a myth.

Google "False Authority Syndrome" for more info on why this myth continues to perpetuate itself.

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

1 recommendation

Juggernaut

Premium Member

Al has probably forgot more about WLAN sec than most people know. I believe that he was referring to the fact that, most people use the same name(s) for the SSID, login name, and PW. Or, a derivative of them.

Easy to crack when you have a basic foundation to work from. Yes, people are that silly...

SoonerAl
MVM
join:2002-07-23
Norman, OK

1 recommendation

SoonerAl to Brano

MVM

to Brano
I suppose it was a poorly worded sentence...

If you go to my home wireless security page that I linked to you will see that I do not recommend hidding a SSID as a security measure...

»theillustratednetwork.mv ··· ity.html