how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

utahluge

join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT

Testing in Afghanistan

Is there any way to take my General test (or any test for that matter) while in Afghanistan?

I was reading something about just needing 3 volunteers (General or Extra) to proctor the test. There are a few people here that want to take the Tech and we have a little time on our hands to get the material down. I am really hoping it is possible.

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
I did a quick search on this and came up empty. The best bet would be to find a club in the area, if there is one, which is doubtful. The other suggestion would be to contact the ARRL and see if they can help. »www.arrl.org/licensing-education-training

As far as I know, the proctors have to be designated VE's.

pianotech
Pianotech
Premium
join:2002-12-30
New Castle, PA
reply to utahluge
I'm pretty sure Generals can only give the Technician exam. To take the General, all the VEs will have to be Extras.
--
New to ham radio - advice from Elmers appreciated!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
Correct.

Per section 97.509, only a VE who is an Extra or Advanced Class operator can administer the test for General.

This question [at least with regard to General class VEs being able to administer only the Tech test] is in the General exam pool.

fifty nine

join:2002-09-25
Sussex, NJ
kudos:2
reply to utahluge
If you can find 3 Generals or higher on base you might be able to do it.

But I would strongly suggest testing in the states if you can, that is if you haven't left yet. Tech can be crammed fairly easily.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to utahluge
I'm thinking someone knowledgeable in MARS may have a better idea on if this is doable.

utahluge

join:2004-10-14
Draper, UT
reply to fifty nine
said by fifty nine:

.... that is if you haven't left yet. Tech can be crammed fairly easily.

I just meant time for study between other stuff going on. We still have a while out here

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
said by utahluge:

said by fifty nine:

.... that is if you haven't left yet. Tech can be crammed fairly easily.

I just meant time for study between other stuff going on. We still have a while out here

Yeah, sorry, didn't know you were there already.

SmokChsr
Who let the magic smoke out?
Premium
join:2006-03-17
Saint Augustine, FL
reply to utahluge
said by utahluge:

If there are any signal corp (guess that still exist) guys around might check with them and see if they know anything.

fifty nine

Sussex, NJ
It might be good to also ask the operators who are there - T6JP is one of them.