join:2004-11-07
Woodbridge, VA
Asus RT-AX89

aaronwt to Acct101

Premium Member

to Acct101

Re: More HD channels coming by October.

said by Acct101:

Just because Fios has more premium movie channels, doesn't make them better then any other service provider. It just means they are showing the SAME content on more channels.

I remmeber the beginning of cable TV when the only premium move channels we had were 1 HBO and 1 CINEMAX. Those two channels had more substance then all the premium channels put together today. Premium channels today show the same thing over and over and over again. I'd rather seem them convert the Premium Movie channels to VOD (like Netflix Online) and use that space for channels that have current non repeating content.

But back then the premium channels only showed movies a few hours a day. They didn't start showing movies until 5 or 6PM in the evening and during the entire day just showed previews. I'll take what they have now over what they had back in the 70's and 80's any day.
knarf829
join:2007-06-02

knarf829

said by aaronwt:

But back then the premium channels only showed movies a few hours a day. They didn't start showing movies until 5 or 6PM in the evening and during the entire day just showed previews. I'll take what they have now over what they had back in the 70's and 80's any day.

^^^ This.

No one buys that the 70s and 80s HBO and Cinemax "had more substance" than HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Epix, Starz, The Movie Channel, etc combined. That kind of hyperbole adds nothing to the discussion.

The need for accurate comparison is why objective lists of channel counts exist.

MeatChicken
join:2007-08-15
Paramus, NJ

MeatChicken

said by knarf829:

No one buys that the 70s and 80s HBO and Cinemax "had more substance" than HBO, Cinemax, Showtime, Epix, Starz, The Movie Channel, etc combined. That kind of hyperbole adds nothing to the discussion.

The need for accurate comparison is why objective lists of channel counts exist.

I remember in the late 70's/early 80's everyone loved their HBO for the 1st 6 months, then started realizing only a handful of shows were 'new' each month, & started complaining that HBO showed the same stuff over & over, people would switch to/from Showtime or TMC when those came around, thinking they'd get more "new" stuff, but back with the same complaints, they'd get "used to" Showtimes's 6 month rotation & start to feel the need to switch ...
bsangs
join:2002-08-21
Montclair, NJ

bsangs

said by MeatChicken:

said by knarf829:

I remember in the late 70's/early 80's everyone loved their HBO for the 1st 6 months, then started realizing only a handful of shows were 'new' each month, & started complaining that HBO showed the same stuff over & over, people would switch to/from Showtime or TMC when those came around, thinking they'd get more "new" stuff, but back with the same complaints, they'd get "used to" Showtimes's 6 month rotation & start to feel the need to switch ...

"Firefox" and "Time Bandits" - think I watched those 30 times each in the first six months I had HBO as a youth.