uniqs
share rss forum feed

maubs

join:2010-02-26
Farmington, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest

First Capped Month - Way Over the Limit

So I've received my first Cap notice, and we blew through both the 150GB and 200GB limit this month.
Wanting to switch to an uncapped provider, I contacted DSLExtreme. Their prices are similar, and their plans are uncapped. I currently have 6Mb service, but DSLExtreme tells me that AT&T indicates only 3Mbps service is available at my address. Ack! I don't want slower speed.
I don't know what to do. How do I get AT&T to allow my 6Mbps service to a reseller?

RadioDoc
Premium,ExMod 2000-03
join:2000-05-11
La Grange, IL
kudos:2
Switch to a "business" plan. No limits. I get Elite (dynamic IP) for under $35/mo.

maubs

Farmington, IL
Thank you very much for this suggestion. This looks like the way to go, and it doesn't require a land line purchase, thus reducing my bill!

justbits
More fiber than ATT can handle
Premium
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to RadioDoc
No limits on the AT&T business plans? I have Pro-S and I got a nastygram from AT&T in March when I went over 150GB. The nastygram said that if in a subsequent month, if I go over again, I'll have to pay an additional $10 for another 50GB. (A silly Apple Software Update certificate revocation caused a redownload of all software updates for the last 3+ years. »afp548.com/2012/03/22/apple-soft···iration/)

Joe12345678

join:2003-07-22
Des Plaines, IL
said by justbits:

No limits on the AT&T business plans? I have Pro-S and I got a nastygram from AT&T in March when I went over 150GB. The nastygram said that if in a subsequent month, if I go over again, I'll have to pay an additional $10 for another 50GB. (A silly Apple Software Update certificate revocation caused a redownload of all software updates for the last 3+ years. »afp548.com/2012/03/22/apple-soft···iration/)

they better not as Comcast "business" internet does not have a cap or it's a lot higher then the home ones.

XBL2009
------

join:2001-01-03
Chicago, IL
Comcast just dropped the 250GB limit.

AT&T seems to be going backwards.

lev
Anyone else remember ISDN?
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
join:2001-05-30
Chicago, IL
kudos:1
XBL, I think that's intentional. With AT&T, there was very little, if any, difference between the way a business account is treated from a residential one. You called the same support department, and the people you spoke to at tier 1 didn't know the difference. Comcast Business is a different number, different people, North American based. This I've said before.

AT&T definitely doesn't much want legacy business like DSL, and now it seems they don't even seem all that hot to compete with Uverse either. They want wireless, because they see the longest term profitability in that. The other stuff? Meh. We'll provide it, but we don't really give a crap if you find we aren't the best deal.

Whitacre used to talk about "our wires" as CEO. Stephenson looks forward to cutting them. Opinions?

Donut

join:2005-06-27
Romulus, MI
Reviews:
·Sprint Mobile Br..
reply to XBL2009
Comcast didnt drop the cap. They are going to a 300 GB cap with $10 for every 50GB over. They just are not enforcing the new cap in all areas till they test it out in select markets.

But Comcast business class is uncapped for now any way.
--
Mr. Donut

ArgMeMatey

join:2001-08-09
Milwaukee, WI
kudos:2
Reviews:
·voip.ms
·AT&T Midwest
·Time Warner Cable
reply to lev
said by lev:

Whitacre used to talk about "our wires" as CEO. Stephenson looks forward to cutting them. Opinions?

I suppose next they'll be endorsing muni fiber.

I was at my sister's house last weekend, in Minneapolis. She's got USI fiber with an Xyxel FSG1100. Speedtest.net tested out at 15 Mbps down and about 9 Mbps up. $25 or $30 a month, not a promo rate.

There was a newspaper article about this; apparently they are pushing fiber out to increase backhaul from wireless nodes, and they are offering service to those along the fiber routes. They directional drilled from the right-of-way. $100 installation, and since she'd prepaid for a year of wireless, whatever was left on that applied to the bill.

The spokesman said they couldn't serve this to everyone but as long as they were laying fiber, they might as well serve whomever they could.

Try getting something like that from AT&T.

So, yeah, Stephenson has the right idea in giving up that market to somebody who will actually serve it.
--
USNG:
16TDN2870
Find your USNG coordinates:
USNGWeb

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to justbits
said by justbits:

if you got a nastygram and you are paying for a business account Please send those to me as I have to send those and get them fixed. It means the records are incorrect somewhere.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

maubs

Farmington, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T Midwest
reply to maubs
Online ordering for a Business Account calls for a Real Yellow Pages listing for my business, and a bunch of other info for me as the sole proprietor. I just want an uncapped business connection with a better price.
My promo price expired and I'm paying $40 for 6mbps, plus $15 and taxes for a phone line that I don't need. Faster than 768 kbps is only available with the land line.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
kudos:12
Yellow Pages. Ha! Yeah, I keep it right next to my ash tray and rotary phone. Sometimes I use it to weigh down my newspapers and old telegrams.
--
...because I care.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
reply to lev
said by lev:

AT&T definitely doesn't much want legacy business like DSL, and now it seems they don't even seem all that hot to compete with Uverse either. They want wireless, because they see the longest term profitability in that. The other stuff? Meh. We'll provide it, but we don't really give a crap if you find we aren't the best deal.

»Verizon is Willfully Driving DSL Users Into the Arms of Cable

Same story, I think.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
reply to lev
said by lev:

»Verizon is Willfully Driving DSL Users Into the Arms of Cable

Same story, I think. Don't know about the unions in AT&T Wireless. Bueller?

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
The telcos have made it pretty clear they are throwing in the towel on anything wireline. They are just "phoning it in" anymore. (had to use it)

Wireless is the cash cow.
--
...because I care.

lev
Premium,Ex-mod 2002-08
Chicago, IL
I think I'll be switching to something like Virgin Mobile if I get a new iPhone, or might get a Republic Wireless account if they get a decent phone. I'm not planning on giving AT&T the satisfaction of my wireless business in the future.

justbits
More fiber than ATT can handle
Premium
join:2003-01-08
Chicago, IL
Reviews:
·Comcast Business..
reply to lev
For those of us with Residential phone service, who ordered Static IPs, we are a dying breed. ADSL(PPPoE)+Static IP is not available to purchase anymore. U-verse Internet ADSL2?(IP Routed?) + Static IP is the migration path. The official word is that if an "account shows up on a residential service (even though you have static IP's) it is considered residential and does qualify against the cap count." That is why I did get a bandwidth nastygram. Comcast Business is looking so much more attractive, although it's around 2x as much $.

The Dord
Gamecenter CX
Premium
join:2005-01-06
Belleville, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
I got an email wednesday about the 150gb datacap myself but the thing is..

There is no other ISPS around so I'm pretty much stuck either:

A. Using alot less of the Internet. (Goodbye HD steaming and going back to sub 480p content)

or

B. Paying an extra $10+ dollars in November if my current usage is any guide.

I pretty much pay nearly $100 for my bill now (just DSL, phone and nothing else) and read the stories/threads about AT&T not caring about non-uverse DSL.
--
»twitter.com/The_Dord -- Twitter Account

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
I would cancel phone service unless you really need it. Go with cell phones or VoIP if you really need it. There's a savings right there.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

The Dord
Gamecenter CX
Premium
join:2005-01-06
Belleville, MI
Reviews:
·AT&T Yahoo
I tried VOIP, my 2wire hates anything other than Skype or the phone feature in GMail.

I'll see what happens in the next few months before I decide to go wireless/voip. Thanks for the post though
--
»twitter.com/The_Dord -- Twitter Account

maubs

Farmington, IL
reply to nunya
I wish I could drop the phone service. Without it, AT&T only offers a 768k connection. This should not be legal.
I've unplugged my handset for the landline as I only get spam calls on it.

nunya
LXI 483
Premium,MVM
O Fallon, MO
Reviews:
·Charter
·voip.ms
I've been to Farmington. Is CATV broadband not available there? I think when I was there in the 90's, it was a "Starcom" 30 channel system (microwave relay). I would hope things have changed a little since then.
--
If someone refers to herself / himself as a "guru", they probably aren't.

Bink63
Namedrop THIS
Premium
join:2002-10-06
Everywhere
reply to nunya
said by nunya:

Wireless is the cash cow.

lev See Profile is Wireless now?

Damn!

BTW, LTNS RD!