danclan

join:2005-11-01
Midlothian, VA

1 recommendation

reply to PeteC2

Re: Cisco Connect Cloud

Well it would seem the internet spoke and Cisco was forced to listen:

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/···setting/

CCC will no longer be the default setting, from my perspective this is exactly how it should have been from the get go.

Better yet they should have merely added another page of options and allowed you to optionally create a new CCC login that would then allow you to remotely access.

The end user remains in full control, Cisco can still provide cloud access and remote management and you the customer gets to choose.

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast

1 recommendation

quote:
UPDATE:
Cisco has told us that going forward the automatic update process will accomodate people who prefer the local, browser-based management console over the cloud service. That's good news, as customers who don't want to use Connect Cloud won't have to choose between their current management setup and firmware updates that could be important.

"If a customer chooses to use the Embedded Web UI and selects the Auto-Update feature, Cisco will offer them an update," Cisco said. "Currently the only update we have is for the Cisco Connect Cloud feature set, but in future, we plan to provide updates for the embedded Web UI feature set specifically. The core message is that a customer can/will be able to choose an embedded web UI and Update without having to use CCC.”

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
Premium,MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT
kudos:6
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to danclan
said by danclan:

Well it would seem the internet spoke and Cisco was forced to listen:

CCC will no longer be the default setting, from my perspective this is exactly how it should have been from the get go.

Better yet they should have merely added another page of options and allowed you to optionally create a new CCC login that would then allow you to remotely access.

The end user remains in full control, Cisco can still provide cloud access and remote management and you the customer gets to choose.

That I have zero argument with...and yes, they could have avoided much if not all of the hard feelings by setting it up this way in the first place.

I am still using the cloud-based firmware, as I have no serious concerns (so far) with the implementation, but I heartily agree, that this was the approach Cisco should have led off with.

Maybe I am just not as quick as some to suspect a dishonest design behind Cisco's cloud implementation, but of course it would have made much better sense to offer the cloud-based firmware, rather than an auto-update. But, that strikes me more as a lack of fore-thought rather than evil intent.

Then again, keep in mind that I am on Comcast, and they flash firmware to your modem whether you own it or they do...so this doesn't seem as extreme to me as it otherwise might have...

--
Deeds, not words