spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Body Count

join:2010-09-11
Columbus, OH

Will WOW Cable monitor internet traffic?

»www.cnn.com/2012/07/06/opinion/r···pt=hp_t2

just read that news report about how ISP's will now start to monitor internet traffic by sniffing data.

Will WOW be in on the bandwagon and start this also?

It doesn't matter to me. All my torrent stuff is encrypted anyways.

Jim Kirk
Premium
join:2005-12-09

I looked through the list of ISPs that signed on to monitor traffic and didn't see WOW, so I don't think they will. WOW_Dan would know for sure.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI

Since all your traffic goes via WOW you do understand that WOW can easily see where your IP connects to right? Then Google knows your IP it also knows what you may search for, right?

What you need to ask is how much log data WOW collects and how long they save it. My company saves log data for the whole corporation (see my avatar for what company). The amount of data is HUGE and we save about a month. I am sure for WOW it would be worse. Saving several terabytes of data a month is costly and not easy. Believe me it is terabytes.

Now if you want to single out a single IP to track, well that's easy

Body Count

Columbus, OH

said by aes128:

Since all your traffic goes via WOW you do understand that WOW can easily see where your IP connects to right? Then Google knows your IP it also knows what you may search for, right?

What you need to ask is how much log data WOW collects and how long they save it. My company saves log data for the whole corporation (see my avatar for what company). The amount of data is HUGE and we save about a month. I am sure for WOW it would be worse. Saving several terabytes of data a month is costly and not easy. Believe me it is terabytes.

Now if you want to single out a single IP to track, well that's easy

they might see the IP I connect to... but they won't see the traffic I send and receive because it will be encrypted. And to decrypt data, don't you need a court order or something like that?

I also run Peerblock. Great little program that helps filter out the RIAA IP's for me

What legal stance do they have if they see me connect to a known RIAA felon website? They have no proof i'm downloading or uploading any illegal data. All they see is data moving back and forth.

aes128

join:2003-12-19
Saint Clair Shores, MI

1 edit

Well if all the traffic you ever send is https then yes WOW could only see the IPs you connect to however most people do not ever use only https. Lots of web sites do not even support https. If you are going through some https proxy, then that guy sees all your traffic so I suppose you would trust them. I do not know what Peerblock is since I do not download any music from the Internet myself, it is of no interest to me. Also if you get an invalid CERT warning from your browser then there may be someone in the middle who could decrypt your traffic.

One other point...

Normal log data from firewalls, proxy boxes, etc. only contain source, dest IP's ports, perhaps data counts and that's it. At Chrysler we collect terabytes of log data and it's just that. We do not collect data unless we are looking for something. To collect data would be a HUGE task. We can collect it with the NetScout InfiniStreams we have in line but they are used for debugging for the most part.

Body Count

Columbus, OH
reply to Body Count

Hey my father owned a 1939 Chrysler. It was a nice car to ride in when I was growing up. Suicide doors were neat.

Anyways.. could the RIAA prosecute someone based off what sites you visit alone? I would think they would need hard evidence that you were downloading something illegal.

I mean if I visit The Pirate Bay (well known torrent website), could the RIAA send me a letter to pay them money?

Inflex

join:2002-09-05
reply to Body Count

SSL is your friend. WOW will never see your naughty bits.

pparks1

join:2002-01-01
Westland, MI
reply to Body Count

said by Body Count:

It doesn't matter to me. All my torrent stuff is encrypted anyways.

The only torrents that I do are freely distributable Linux distributions. I don't pirate software, steal music, movies or otherwise.