Search similar:

uniqs

redhat1968
join:2000-10-17
Appleton, WI

redhat1968 to alkizmo

to alkizmo

Re: True story - Paveway sealing hottie

On streets they usually use a "Chip Seal" and in your driveway they use a coal tar based sealcoat. It works very well and can double the life of your parking lot / driveway
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo
My buddy is a paver and says that they are a scam. Mind you he doesn't mind getting an extra few hundred bucks if a customer insists on sealer.

That said the stuff he gets is restricted to commercial sales here in Ontario and you need a licence form the Ministry of the Environment to buy it. Everyone else has to make due with acrylic based sealer.

There are guys here in Peterborough right now that have a wooden box on wheels that they push up and down every street in town offering sealing. Interesting gimmick and efficient.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

said by nunya:

When it comes down to it, sealing an asphalt driveway is a complete waste of time and materials. It's for aesthetics only. It does not extend the life of the driveway or "protect" it. It's basically a paint job.

True dat! I've never seen a road crew out sealing an entire asphalt highway.

I used to work for company that subcontracted work from PSE&G back in the '80s. We would repair gas mains and install new service lines then patch the streets and sidewalks. We heard rumors of a new way to repair asphalt without tearing it up. Sure enough, after we finished a big enough area this new company »www.asphaltpavingsystems ··· utus.htm would come in and apply a Slurry Seal over all the streets we repaired. The company was small and barely had enough equipment to do the job. We didn't think this new way of repairing asphalt would last... Oh, and the owner Bobby Capoferri had a hot blonde girlfriend who operated equipment and actually applied the slurry. She had the body of an aerobics instructor and would wear Daisy Dukes and a bikini top while working.

Years later I had left the Laborer's Union and became a plasterer. One day I was called to a stucco job in Hammonton, NJ. It was Bobby Capoferri's house or compound I should say. The sides and back of the property was surrounded by an 8' high block wall with a gated front. We stuccoed the house and block walls. As it turns out that new way of repairing asphalt became quite popular. While plastering the house we would peak into the rather large garage where the owner's Ferraris, Lamborghinis and other exotics where kept. One day while working on the back of the house, guess who comes out to sunbath at the pool... it was the hot blonde who used to work like a dog I had met years earlier. Only now the oil she had on her wasn't from the Slurry Seal and it smelled heavenly.
MaynardKrebs
We did it. We heaved Steve. Yipee.
Premium Member
join:2009-06-17

2 recommendations

MaynardKrebs to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

So just 30 minutes ago some 18 year old short-shorts tank top blondie girl came to my door offering to reseal my paveway for 120$.

For $120 bucks I'd have told her to come inside and let me spray my water-based sealant on her.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya to dolphins

MVM

to dolphins
If it makes you feel any better, I believe she got about 1/2 of his stuff in 2005.

That's quite a bit different than driveway sealing. They actually scrape up part of the road and re-surface it.

alkizmo
join:2007-06-25
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to peterboro

to peterboro
said by peterboro:

My buddy is a paver and says that they are a scam. Mind you he doesn't mind getting an extra few hundred bucks if a customer insists on sealer.

I was checking out DIY videos on how to fix cracks and holes in a driveway. After everything was done, you could see the patch work. Then they applied a sealant which aesthetically covered all the patches. Would that be a good reason to apply sealant?

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

1 edit

dolphins to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

If it makes you feel any better, I believe she got about 1/2 of his stuff in 2005.

That's quite a bit different than driveway sealing. They actually scrape up part of the road and re-surface it.

No they did not scrape up anything. I watched them apply the Slurry Seal directly over the streets. They may do another type of sealing that way but I assure you there was no scraping or removing of any kind.

EDIT: I forgot to mention they didn't have the machines they have today. A machine would spray the coating directly over the original asphalt but they had to level it with asphalt lutes and large squeegees.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO
·Charter

nunya to alkizmo

MVM

to alkizmo
Why do we plant grass? Paint our interior walls? Install pretty hardwood floors?

None of them have any useful function other than visual. If you like the way a sealed driveway looks, by all means do it and enjoy. There's no denying a freshly sealed driveway looks better than an old faded driveway with patches.

I've done it in the past, but under the misguided notion that it was serving a useful purpose. I won't ever do it again.

FiReSTaRT
Premium Member
join:2010-02-26
Canada

FiReSTaRT

Premium Member

I heard from a paver that it's a useless scam. Because it darkens the driveway, it increases the summer heat load and overall temperature differential, which increases the mechanical stress on the driveway, thus shortening its life.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
Westville, NJ

dolphins

Premium Member

said by FiReSTaRT:

I heard from a paver that it's a useless scam. Because it darkens the driveway, it increases the summer heat load and overall temperature differential, which increases the mechanical stress on the driveway, thus shortening its life.

And a concrete finisher will tell you asphalt won't last and a landscaper will tell you concrete cracks so what's your point?

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium Member
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC

Juggernaut to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Then they applied a sealant which aesthetically covered all the patches. Would that be a good reason to apply sealant?

The main reason to use a hot tar sealant is to keep water out of cracks, and splits. It'll eventually erode the road base, and leave potholes. The same if water gets in, and freezes. It heaves the pavement. It's meant to be a fix to lengthen the life of the asphalt.

koma3504
Advocate
Premium Member
join:2004-06-22
Granbury, TX

koma3504 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Some of my best employees I had in the sheetrock, tape bed texture and patch work. Was Female

aannoonn
@optonline.net

aannoonn

Anon

said by koma3504:

Some of my best employees I had in the sheetrock, tape bed texture and patch work. Was Female

They're no longer female?

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to Juggernaut

Premium Member

to Juggernaut
said by Juggernaut:

The main reason to use a hot tar sealant is to keep water out of cracks, and splits. It'll eventually erode the road base, and leave potholes. The same if water gets in, and freezes. It heaves the pavement. It's meant to be a fix to lengthen the life of the asphalt.

That's what I understand, it seals the fine cracks. Asphalt streets don't need it because they usually have a better engineered base and a much thicker coarse (reinforced with stones) layer than driveways.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

3 recommendations

49528867 (banned) to alkizmo

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Oh cmon guys I couldn't have taken a picture of her as she talked to me, nor do I have a camera at my entrance (But for SECURITY reasons, I MUST DO SO ASAP! I told her to come back later this summer).

Send her over my way, I don't need my driveway sealed but I have $120, plenty of cameras (still and video) and access to a couple of private studios one with full dressing room with bath and a wet bar.

And yes I will post the pictures.

Wayne

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to koma3504

to koma3504
Yes but were they perky young girls?

I'm not being sexist. I wouldn't believe a boy of similar build could do it.... Until I saw videos of those scams and it only looks like they are using a pressure hose to spray "paint" the asphalt black.

guppy_fish
Premium Member
join:2003-12-09
Palm Harbor, FL

guppy_fish to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo
Shouldn't you be spending time getting the the house ready for your new baby and in laws? Lots to paint, dual dryer to connect and a basement remodel instead of posting about 18yo gypsy's?

Dennis
Mod
join:2001-01-26
Algonquin, IL

Dennis to alkizmo

Mod

to alkizmo
Usually they just hit me up for magazine subscriptions....this is just a common tactic and yeah like everyone else said god knows what they would have dumped on the driveway.

garys_2k
Premium Member
join:2004-05-07
Farmington, MI

garys_2k to guppy_fish

Premium Member

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

Shouldn't you be spending time getting the the house ready for your new baby and in laws? Lots to paint, dual dryer to connect and a basement remodel instead of posting about 18yo gypsy's?

Yeah, no more looking and fantasizing for you!
telco_mtl
join:2012-01-06

telco_mtl to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
said by guppy_fish:

i think he needs a diversion, poor guy seems like he is going to have a hell of a year, Alkizmo, look all ya want!!

alkizmo
Pierrefonds, QC

alkizmo to guppy_fish

to guppy_fish
Oh the house is ready for the baby. I wanted the basement to create a personal space to hang out away from the inlaws. It's almost impossible to focus on my projects because my wife can't do much anymore as she's like 37 weeks pregnant.

However the basement is cleaned up and I have a mini fridge down there and a laptop. With a 5 weeks paternity leave combined with 4 weeks vacation time, I will have a lot of time to focus on the projects. My wife will have her parents helping out with the baby.

Comment on the basement Reno: I am going through cans of great stuff and rolls of aluminum ducting tape. Man are there a lot of little cracks to tape and unreachable nooks to condemn with great stuff.
Expand your moderator at work
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

to alkizmo

said by alkizmo:

I'm not being sexist. I wouldn't believe a boy of similar build could do it....

Depends on the neighborhood, over in Wilton Manors Fl the door might not even be answered for a young perky girl but would be swung wide open if knocked on by a young boy.

Wayne

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA

Premium Member

Wayne I think you might be right.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

to alkizmo
said by alkizmo:

Until I saw videos of those scams and it only looks like they are using a pressure hose to spray "paint" the asphalt black.

Driveway sealers come in two flavors down here, there are the trunk slamming fly by nighters who spray or skim down some odd foul smelling mixture of coal tar and a binder and companies who use push around or drive around sprayers that are so precise they can cut within an inch or so of a sidewalk or a parking bumper.

The trunk slammers go mostly after the residential market and the pros do commercial where they not only do the sealcoat they also re-stripe the lot and repaint and stencil as needed the bumpers.

As for quality I have seen jobs done by the slammers where they coated right over plants growing out of cracks and sprayed or skimmed the grass around the drive, whereas the pros come in first with a tractor that has a rotary broom mounted to the front which they use to break loose any plants or debris, the area is then vacuumed cracks are filled with hot tar and potholes are primed with hot tar and filled with hot asphalt which is rolled flush using a vibratory roller and then once all that is complete the re-coat is done using some kind of tar based material that is sprayed down hot which once cooled is done and ready to put in service.

The striping the use consists of some type of small plastic beads that they place in a hopper and melt and is also shot down hot with a machine that has two spray heads one for the striping and another that blows glass beads onto the cooling stripe making it reflective.

Wayne

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium Member
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
Netgear CM500
Asus RT-AC68

MrMoody to Zach

Premium Member

to Zach
They do it every few years on the county roads here:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

All the loose gravel handily removes the paint from lower areas of your car ... but no worries, the tar replaces it.
49528867 (banned)
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by MrMoody:

They do it every few years on the county roads here:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

All the loose gravel handily removes the paint from lower areas of your car ... but no worries, the tar replaces it.

When I was kid I remember the county would oil the dirt roads to keep them somewhat in place, they actually sprayed down used motor oil and it seemed to be mostly from diesels by the nasty smell of it, then came rainy season and what a freaking mess it made puddles would have a oily sheen on them, lawns became self edging as the grass near the roads died and every kid in the neighborhood heard the same words when entering the home that being TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF, as it once mixed with mud and water tracked everywhere.

Wayne

DataDoc
My avatar looks like me, if I was 2D.
Premium Member
join:2000-05-14
Hedgesville, WV
·StarLink
·HughesNet

DataDoc to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya
said by nunya:

Travelers. Who knows what they would really put on your driveway. Driveway sealing is one of their oldest scams.

+1
And the guys that show up will want to use your bathroom so they can case the joint.
Expand your moderator at work

Shadow01
Premium Member
join:2003-10-24
Wasteland

Shadow01 to alkizmo

Premium Member

to alkizmo

You have thousands of miles of asphalt roads around you and you are worried about a minimal amount of oil being added to that total on a driveway reseal?