Premium Member
join:2001-11-22
Green Bay, WI

Lurch77 to nunya

Premium Member

to nunya

Re: True story - Paveway sealing hottie

said by nunya:

When it comes down to it, sealing an asphalt driveway is a complete waste of time and materials. It's for aesthetics only. It does not extend the life of the driveway or "protect" it. It's basically a paint job.

True dat! I've never seen a road crew out sealing an entire asphalt highway.
Zach
Premium Member
join:2006-11-26
Llano, CA

Zach

Premium Member

said by Lurch77:

said by nunya:

When it comes down to it, sealing an asphalt driveway is a complete waste of time and materials. It's for aesthetics only. It does not extend the life of the driveway or "protect" it. It's basically a paint job.

Unfortunately, MnDOT fell for it last year. They called it a "flash coat" and I'm still trying to get the shit off my trucks. Thank goodness they came to their senses before ruining more decent pavement.

Jack_in_VA
Premium Member
join:2007-11-26
North, VA

Jack_in_VA to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

No highways but I've seen them doing plenty of Mall parking lots including our local Walmart.

UHF
All static, all day, Forever
MVM
join:2002-05-24

UHF

MVM

said by Jack_in_VA:

said by Lurch77:

No highways but I've seen them doing plenty of Mall parking lots including our local Walmart.

Residential streets, too. They call it "seal coat". Maybe it's a different thing, but with what I'm thinking of they spray a liquid asphalt on the street and then pour some small gravel on it so that traffic can be on it again. A few months later they sweep up whatever gravel is loose.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

dolphins to Lurch77

Premium Member

to Lurch77
said by Lurch77:

said by nunya:

I used to work for company that subcontracted work from PSE&G back in the '80s. We would repair gas mains and install new service lines then patch the streets and sidewalks. We heard rumors of a new way to repair asphalt without tearing it up. Sure enough, after we finished a big enough area this new company »www.asphaltpavingsystems ··· utus.htm would come in and apply a Slurry Seal over all the streets we repaired. The company was small and barely had enough equipment to do the job. We didn't think this new way of repairing asphalt would last... Oh, and the owner Bobby Capoferri had a hot blonde girlfriend who operated equipment and actually applied the slurry. She had the body of an aerobics instructor and would wear Daisy Dukes and a bikini top while working.

Years later I had left the Laborer's Union and became a plasterer. One day I was called to a stucco job in Hammonton, NJ. It was Bobby Capoferri's house or compound I should say. The sides and back of the property was surrounded by an 8' high block wall with a gated front. We stuccoed the house and block walls. As it turns out that new way of repairing asphalt became quite popular. While plastering the house we would peak into the rather large garage where the owner's Ferraris, Lamborghinis and other exotics where kept. One day while working on the back of the house, guess who comes out to sunbath at the pool... it was the hot blonde who used to work like a dog I had met years earlier. Only now the oil she had on her wasn't from the Slurry Seal and it smelled heavenly.

nunya
LXI 483
MVM
join:2000-12-23
O Fallon, MO

nunya

MVM

If it makes you feel any better, I believe she got about 1/2 of his stuff in 2005.

That's quite a bit different than driveway sealing. They actually scrape up part of the road and re-surface it.

dolphins
Clean Up Our Oceans
Premium Member
join:2001-08-22
Westville, NJ

1 edit

dolphins

Premium Member

said by nunya:

If it makes you feel any better, I believe she got about 1/2 of his stuff in 2005.

That's quite a bit different than driveway sealing. They actually scrape up part of the road and re-surface it.

No they did not scrape up anything. I watched them apply the Slurry Seal directly over the streets. They may do another type of sealing that way but I assure you there was no scraping or removing of any kind.

EDIT: I forgot to mention they didn't have the machines they have today. A machine would spray the coating directly over the original asphalt but they had to level it with asphalt lutes and large squeegees.

MrMoody
Free range slave
Premium Member
join:2002-09-03
Smithfield, NC
Netgear CM500
Asus RT-AC68

MrMoody to Zach

Premium Member

to Zach
They do it every few years on the county roads here:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

All the loose gravel handily removes the paint from lower areas of your car ... but no worries, the tar replaces it.
49528867 (banned)
join:2010-04-16
Fort Lauderdale, FL

49528867 (banned)

said by MrMoody:

They do it every few years on the county roads here:

»en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipseal

All the loose gravel handily removes the paint from lower areas of your car ... but no worries, the tar replaces it.

When I was kid I remember the county would oil the dirt roads to keep them somewhat in place, they actually sprayed down used motor oil and it seemed to be mostly from diesels by the nasty smell of it, then came rainy season and what a freaking mess it made puddles would have a oily sheen on them, lawns became self edging as the grass near the roads died and every kid in the neighborhood heard the same words when entering the home that being TAKE YOUR SHOES OFF, as it once mixed with mud and water tracked everywhere.

Wayne