2 recommendations

SoonerAl

MVM

[WHS] Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close

From the WeGotServed site...
quote:
Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close

By Terry Walsh on July 5, 2012in News, Windows 8, Windows Home Server

Microsoft today unveiled its plans for a range of new Windows Server 2012 product lines, but there was no room for a dedicated Windows Home Server refresh. Instead, the company’s small server lines have been merged into a single product SKU – the $425 Windows Server 2012 Essentials. Home users wishing to migrate to a Windows Server 2012 product will be required to upgrade to Windows Server 2012 Essentials, as the new entry level Server SKU available to the public.

The move to sunset Windows Home Server was confirmed by Microsoft today, buried in a FAQ datasheet accompanying the Windows Server 2012 Essentials announcement:

Q: Will there be a next version of Windows Home Server?

A: No. Windows Home Server has seen its greatest success in small office/home office (SOHO) environments and among the technology enthusiast community. For this reason, Microsoft is combining the features that were previously only found in Windows Home Server, such as support for DLNA-compliant devices and media streaming, into Windows Server 2012 Essentials and focusing our efforts into making Windows Server 2012 Essentials the ideal first server operating system for both small business and home use—offering an intuitive administration experience, elastic and resilient storage features with Storage Spaces, and robust data protection for the server and client computers.

Q: How long will customers be able to purchase Windows Home Server 2011?

A: Windows Home Server 2011 will remain available as an OEM embedded product until December 31, 2025, and will remain available in all other current channels until December 31, 2013.

»www.wegotserved.com/2012 ··· a-close/
Expand your moderator at work
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

1 recommendation

dave to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl

Re: [WHS] Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close

Bummer. Windows Home Server, especially in its original concept, was a truly useful, simple-to-use, and basically trouble-free(*) product, which might be close to a first for Microsoft.

WHS (v1) was a product I would unhesitatingly recommend to anyone with more than a couple of home PCs, principally as a reliable and effortless backup solution.

I suppose we saw the writing on the wall with Home Server 'v2', though: the unique 'Home' features got the short end of the stick compared to the requirements of small businesses.

(*) Yes, I do remember the file-system corruption problem!
boontonflyer
join:2004-07-05
Somerset, NJ

boontonflyer to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
Have been using WHS Ver. 1 for about three years and love it.

Have only had to "restore" one computer during that time and salvage a couple of damaged/deleted files.

Have also found it handy when a problem with the operating system arises . It's an easy way to set your computer back several weeks to see whether problem was there previously.

Paul
PS: Will continue to use it even after they stop supporting it.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
I LOVE WHS. Best $400 ever spent is on my HP MediaSmart WHS (v1) box. Love love love that box.

There was an interesting post/link in the Windows 8 thread about the possibility of using Windows 8 (non-server) as a replacement... interesting read. »www.winsupersite.com/art ··· 8-142654

But damn, this little EX490 does everything I need in a fileserver/backup device (and then some).
darcilicious

darcilicious to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
said by howardfine:

There's a reason why Apache and nginx are the world's most used server software.

Yeah, lets talk apples and oranges, shall we? (Linux server just isn't a viable option in an MS home environment when compared to the functionality and ease of use to WHS).
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave

Premium Member

I suspect our Unix fan might not know what Home Server is was aimed at. The main features are:

1. Automatic daily backup (physically incremental, but virtually full backup) of Windows client computers, with block-level dedupe. And, importantly, with hard-to-miss indication if some client wasn't getting successfully backed up.

2. Easy-to-administer NAS storage, organized for typical 'home' needs: photos, music, video, movies, etc.

3. Streaming to DLNA-capable devices.

4. Extensible 'single volume' storage pool with automatic duplexing of files where wanted.

(This at V1; I don't use V2). There's more to it, but for me that is the essential set.

Obviously, you can build yourself something that does this. The kicker for me was that I'd intended for a long time to script a solid and reliable daily backup system for home, but had never quite got round to it (I must be getting old...). WHS was just install-and-go: problem solved overnight.

'Home web server' and 'home mail server' were not features that the target audience would be likely to use, so comments about open-source web and mail servers don't seem particularly relevant.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious to dave

Premium Member

to dave

+1 and then some, Dave. I'll be running that little box until it drops. In fact, I'm about to get my second external enclosure for it in the few months.

PhoenixDown
FIOS is Awesome
Premium Member
join:2003-06-08
Fresh Meadows, NY

PhoenixDown to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
I thought WHS was one of the best products MS released. I was also in the "I need to find a way to do daily backups" boat until this came along.

I can see why MS is ending it however. While those of us who are proficient don't mind building a box to support WHS, it's not quite as easy as tossing in a Time Machine from Apple. Third party vendors like HP never made the form factor as easy either. With some features may be available, and easier to use, in Windows 8, WHS was certain to be on the chopping block.

Very sad.

Link Logger
MVM
join:2001-03-29
Calgary, AB

Link Logger to SoonerAl

MVM

to SoonerAl
That is sad as I still have a Windows Home Server backing my stuff up every night since WHS first came out and I love it. For what it does I'd recommend it over any Linux system as my Home Server has been running for years without me having to do anything except enjoy it. I'll keep running it until the electrons flow no more.

I guess I'll have to take a look at Windows Server 2012 Essentials as I have a spare box right now looking for something to do.

Blake

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to PhoenixDown

Premium Member

to PhoenixDown
said by PhoenixDown:

Third party vendors like HP never made the form factor as easy either.

Not sure what you mean by this. The EX49x is a small box, you can almost hold in the palm of your hand (when it's driveless ) Are you referring to it being headless or something else? (Being headless is a plus in my book...)

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

said by howardfine:

There's a reason why Apache and nginx are the world's most used server software.

Yeah, lets talk apples and oranges, shall we? (Linux server just isn't a viable option in an MS home environment when compared to the functionality and ease of use to WHS).

Apache is not a Linux server. Apache is Apache and it runs on *nix. But it exists and always will. (And yes I knew what it was.)

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

said by darcilicious:

said by howardfine:

Apache is not a Linux server. Apache is Apache and it runs on *nix. But it exists and always will. (And yes I knew what it was.)

Wow, so now we're comparing apples to orangutans. Dude, your comment is so out of place, it's not even funny (and sorry, I misread nginx as linux, in my pre-caffeinated state )
dave
Premium Member
not in ohio

dave to howardfine

Premium Member

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

And has little relevance when discussing the cancellation of a software product that has never claimed to be a web server and which people wanting a web server would not be buying.

Thaler
Premium Member
join:2004-02-02
Los Angeles, CA

2 recommendations

Thaler to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
Sounds like Microsoft is pulling an Adobe-class screw up here:

1. Have a good consumer product at the $100 price range pulling in revenue.
2. Mark up the product to $400+, then wonder why nobody upgrades and/or resorts to piracy.

I guess in the business world, no money is better than some money, I guess,.
balur
join:2010-04-28

balur to SoonerAl

to SoonerAl
I loved my WHS v1, I was forced to move on several years ago though as it no longer suited my needs (Went from a home with 5 people, needing backup and protection, to living alone).

Sadness.

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to dave

Premium Member

to dave
I agree completely dave See Profile. My WHS V1 box has been a champ (running it on a Dell SC430 server). I only needed it once to restore a few files but it was sure great knowing it was there doing its job quietly every night.

I have been debating moving to WHS 2011 but based on this announcement I will wait and look into Server 2012 Essentials.

Boricua
Premium Member
join:2002-01-26
Sacramuerto

Boricua to Thaler

Premium Member

to Thaler
said by Thaler:

Sounds like Microsoft is pulling an Adobe-class screw up here:

1. Have a good consumer product at the $100 price range pulling in revenue.
2. Mark up the product to $400+, then wonder why nobody upgrades and/or resorts to piracy.

I guess in the business world, no money is better than some money, I guess,.

First thing that came to mind in reading in this announcement. And I don't even have WHS.

mjhouser
Premium Member
join:2001-10-06

mjhouser to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl
Wow, that's to bad. I thought Microsoft had a good program with WHS.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

said by howardfine:

but, yes, a home Windows user is not technically knowledgeable enough to just plug Apache in and go

Which was my point when I said, "isn't a viable option in an MS home environment when compared to the functionality and ease of use to WHS".

Feature set: not there.
Ease of use: not there.

Let it go already. The market the WHS was aimed at isn't the market that would use Apache.

bbrown
May Peace Prevail On Earth
join:2002-03-23
earth

bbrown

And there are those who are technically knowledgeable enough but don't want the hassle at home. I work with computers all day. At home, I want something that just works without spending a lot of time configuring it. WHS did that for me.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by bbrown:

And there are those who are technically knowledgeable enough but don't want the hassle at home. I work with computers all day. At home, I want something that just works without spending a lot of time configuring it. WHS did that for me.

Agreed 100%. Same goes for all my other gadgets at home, for that matter

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to bbrown

Premium Member

to bbrown
said by bbrown:

This.

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to bbrown

to bbrown
said by bbrown:

Hm. On FreeBSD, 'pkg_add -r apache22'. Edit three or four lines in the config file and you're done. Linux is just as easy.

But I do understand your points. MY point was that Microsoft abandoned its users.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

Hm. On FreeBSD, 'pkg_add -r apache22'. Edit three or four lines in the config file and you're done. Linux is just as easy.

How does that get me:

drive pooling?
folder duplication across multiple drives (for easy drive replacement)?
backups of each client pc?

Where's the feature set of WHS with Apache?

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

You were talking about installation and configuration, not features. All those things are easily done on *nix and not needed in Apache.