uniqs

mjhouser
Premium Member
join:2001-10-06

mjhouser to SoonerAl

Premium Member

to SoonerAl

Re: [WHS] Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close

Wow, that's to bad. I thought Microsoft had a good program with WHS.
Expand your moderator at work

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
join:2001-01-02
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious to Anon

Premium Member

to Anon

Re: [WHS] Microsoft Draws the Windows Home Server Era to a Close

said by howardfine:

but, yes, a home Windows user is not technically knowledgeable enough to just plug Apache in and go

Which was my point when I said, "isn't a viable option in an MS home environment when compared to the functionality and ease of use to WHS".

Feature set: not there.
Ease of use: not there.

Let it go already. The market the WHS was aimed at isn't the market that would use Apache.

bbrown
May Peace Prevail On Earth
join:2002-03-23
earth

bbrown

And there are those who are technically knowledgeable enough but don't want the hassle at home. I work with computers all day. At home, I want something that just works without spending a lot of time configuring it. WHS did that for me.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by bbrown:

And there are those who are technically knowledgeable enough but don't want the hassle at home. I work with computers all day. At home, I want something that just works without spending a lot of time configuring it. WHS did that for me.

Agreed 100%. Same goes for all my other gadgets at home, for that matter

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian to bbrown

Premium Member

to bbrown
said by bbrown:

This.

howardfine
join:2002-08-09
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to bbrown

to bbrown
said by bbrown:

Hm. On FreeBSD, 'pkg_add -r apache22'. Edit three or four lines in the config file and you're done. Linux is just as easy.

But I do understand your points. MY point was that Microsoft abandoned its users.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR
·Ziply Fiber

darcilicious

Premium Member

said by howardfine:

Hm. On FreeBSD, 'pkg_add -r apache22'. Edit three or four lines in the config file and you're done. Linux is just as easy.

How does that get me:

drive pooling?
folder duplication across multiple drives (for easy drive replacement)?
backups of each client pc?

Where's the feature set of WHS with Apache?

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine

You were talking about installation and configuration, not features. All those things are easily done on *nix and not needed in Apache.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

1 recommendation

darcilicious

Premium Member

Dude, this thread is on WHS. We're all talking about the features and ease of use of WHS. Except for you, apparently.

cdru
Go Colts
MVM
join:2003-05-14
Fort Wayne, IN

cdru to SoonerAl

MVM

to SoonerAl
said by SoonerAl:

quote:
Q: How long will customers be able to purchase Windows Home Server 2011?

A: Windows Home Server 2011 will remain available as an OEM embedded product until December 31, 2025, and will remain available in all other current channels until December 31, 2013.

So, ONLY 13½ years left? When's the fire sale start?

howardfine
Saint Louis, MO

howardfine to darcilicious

to darcilicious
said by darcilicious:

Dude, this thread is on WHS. We're all talking about the features and ease of use of WHS. Except for you, apparently.

No. This thread is about Microsoft dumping WHS.

darcilicious
Cyber Librarian
Premium Member
Forest Grove, OR

darcilicious

Premium Member

Yes, that would be the Title of the thread. However, the actual discussion has been about the features and ease of use of WHS, e.g. mourning the loss of said product.

bbrown
May Peace Prevail On Earth
join:2002-03-23
earth

bbrown to howardfine

to howardfine
said by howardfine:

You were talking about installation and configuration, not features. All those things are easily done on *nix and not needed in Apache.

"easiliy done" is relative. It's all just "in there" on WHS without much to configure and for what does need to be configured, there is an easy-to-use GUI.