how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

meinTN

@comcast.net

New bandwidth plan in Nashville

I just got the email from Comcast.

Does anyone know if this is one of the "trial" markets then? I didn't expect it to start this soon.

Did people in other markets get a similar message?

Dear XFINITY Internet Customer:

At Comcast, we recognize the ways our customers are using the Internet are evolving, and that our services should evolve as well. Starting on August 1, 2012, Comcast will introduce a new Internet data usage management plan in Nashville that increases the data usage allowance for all XFINITY Internet customers from 250 GB to 300 GB and provides more options for usage.

What This Means for You

The vast majority of XFINITY customers use far less than 300 GB of data in a month. If you are not sure about your monthly data usage, please refer to the Track and Manage Your Usage section below.

We want our customers to use the Internet for everything they want and your service will not be limited to the 300 GB monthly data allowance we provide as part of XFINITY Internet. While we believe that 300 GB is more than enough to meet the Internet usage needs of most customers, you can always buy more data in additional blocks of 50 GB for $10 each.

In order for our customers to get accustomed to this new data usage management plan, we are implementing a three-month courtesy period. That means you will not be billed for the first three times you exceed the monthly 300 GB allowance during a 12 month period. Should your usage exceed the monthly allowance after the courtesy period expires, you will automatically be provisioned for additional $10 blocks of data each time you exceed the 300 GB allowance.

For more information about this plan please visit
www.xfinity.com/datausageplan/nash

Track and Manage Your Usage

Comcast provides you with several tools to easily track and manage your data usage:

Usage Meter - See how much data you have used with our usage meter, available in the Users and Settings tab at www.xfinity.com/usagemeter.
Data Usage Calculator - Estimate your data usage with this tool available at www.xfinity.com/datacalculator. Simply input the quantity of your typical Internet activities and the calculator will estimate your monthly data usage.
In Browser Notices and Emails - We will send you courtesy "in-browser" notices and emails to your Comcast.net e-mail account letting you know when you reach 90% and 100% of your monthly data usage allowance.

If you have any additional questions about the new data usage plan, please visit www.xfinity.com/datausageplan/nash

Thank you for being an XFINITY Internet Customer.

plencnerb
Premium
join:2000-09-25
Carpentersville, IL
kudos:2

Click for full size
This looks to be real. The link that they provided in the e-mail that you got

said by meinTN :

If you have any additional questions about the new data usage plan, please visit www.xfinity.com/datausageplan/nash

is actually this link (you get redirected). Note: I've added the code tag, so the entire URL shows up as text

http://customer.comcast.com/help-and-support/internet/data-usage-plans-nash

I've also added a picture showing the page as well.

It may be hard to see on my image, but the page does show an update date/time/user of "Updated 7/6/2012 2:13:50 PM by Comcast Expert"

--Brian

--
============================
--Brian Plencner

E-Mail: CoasterBrian72Cancer@gmail.com
Note: Kill Cancer to Reply via e-mail

newview
Ex .. Ex .. Exactly
Premium
join:2001-10-01
Parsonsburg, MD
kudos:1
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·Comcast
reply to meinTN

Looks like you're in one of the new Trial Markets for their newly announced bandwidth management polices.

quote:
Comcast rethinks bandwidth caps, trials two new policies that involve higher 300GB monthly limits
By Richard Lawler posted May 17th 2012 1:28PM

Comcast's bandwidth policy has come under fire from several directions lately, and today it's announced plans to test two new systems for managing capacity. In a company blog post, VP Cathy Avgiris describes the new "flexible" approaches it will be testing out in certain markets that start off by raising the limit to 300GB (from 250GB where it's been since 2008) per month. One of the plans involves offering 300GB as a base on its Essentials, Economy, and Performance internet packages, and higher limits on its Blast and Extreme tiers, with extra data available as an add-on, possibly $10 for 50GB or so. The other plan simply bumps all tiers to 300GB per month and offers the additional blocks of data as needed. For markets where it's not testing the new plans, it's suspending enforcement of the 250GB cap entirely for now, although it says it will still contact "excessive" users about their usage.
»www.engadget.com/2012/05/17/comc···that-in/

gHiDoRa

join:2002-08-05
Memphis, TN
reply to meinTN

wow, the first market is Nashville

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23

300 GB isn't high enough IMO. They should stagger it, and offer higher usage on the higher tiers.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by nysports4evr:

300 GB isn't high enough IMO. They should stagger it, and offer higher usage on the higher tiers.

If this happens in my market, bye bye Comcast.

nysports4evr
Premium
join:2010-01-23
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by whfsdude:

said by nysports4evr:

If this happens in my market, bye bye Comcast.

You mean a cap + overages in general?

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA

so dumb
and do extreme 50 users get a bigger cap?

NetFixer
From my cold dead hands
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
·Comcast
reply to meinTN

Well, at least Comcast was perhaps smart enough not to make Chattanooga (with its EPB fiber) one of the first trial areas (although I doubt it will remain exempt once the "trial" period ends).

Other than a 300GB cap as opposed to AT&T's variable 150/250 cap, it sounds just like AT&T's cap implementation. Is this a coincidence?
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

telcodad

join:2011-09-16
Lincroft, NJ
kudos:3
reply to nysports4evr

The "Excessive Use of Internet Data" page (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···ive-use/ ) was also updated on July 6th with some updated Q&As.

For the "What are the different plans you will be launching?" question (»customer.comcast.com/help-and-su···aunching ) it says that in another (yet unannounced) market they will be offering a tier-varying plan:

We'll be launching at least two approaches, and we'll provide additional details on these plans as they launch, but here is an overview.

In the Nashville market, we will increase our data usage allowance for all tiers to 300 GB per month and also offer additional gigabytes in increments/blocks (e.g., $10 per 50 GB).

In another market, we will offer multi-tier usage allowances that offers increased data usage allotments for different tiers of high-speed data service. The very few customers who need more data can either buy up to a tier with a higher allowance or purchase additional data. We will give more details as we approach the launch of our second plan.

In both approaches, we'll be increasing the initial data usage allowance for our customers from 250 GB per month to at least 300 GB per month.

gate1975mlm
Premium
join:2001-09-30
Philadelphia, PA
kudos:8

4 edits

1 recommendation

reply to meinTN

I wonder if the 50 GB for $10 will carry over to the next month if its not all used? Since we are paying for it what ever is left of the 50GB should be added to the next months limit. So for example lets say I use 20GB of that extra 50GB then the following month I should start with 330GB Cap!

And another thing will the higher plans like Blast and Extreme get even higher caps then 300GB?

Also as far as this "three-month courtesy period" goes it sounds like it will just be for the first year. So we will be able to go over the 300GB Cap 3 times in the first year of this new plan. And then after the first year is over no more "courtesy period" and when ever a user goes over 300GB even if its just by 1GB we will be charged $10 for an extra 50GB is that correct?

Anyone here from Comcast that could answer these questions?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

2 edits

I would love it if any paid for extra data rolled over to the next month. I'd have gotten pissed if I was charged extra for more data, so I'd use all that 50GB, even if I downloaded junk, so I'd get my money's worth. Your roll over idea eliminates that problem.

Let's hope they think of it.

As for you asking if the higher tiers such as Blast would get more base usage a month + additional overage options, that was my understanding. I'm a Blaster, so here's hoping.

From the way they word it, it does only sound like the 3 courtesy period is only for that first year. That would suck as I think it should be permanent since going over 1GB shouldn't cost you 10 bucks for another 50 you may not use all of, especially during the last days of the month.

replaytv1

join:2008-04-12
Miami, FL
reply to meinTN

I think when next HDTV resolution standard, called 4K television arrives then 300GB will not be enough.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to nysports4evr

said by nysports4evr:

You mean a cap + overages in general?

Either. The old 250 gigs appeared.to never be enforced in my market. We've got pretty stiff competition though.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to replaytv1

said by replaytv1:

I think when next HDTV resolution standard, called 4K television arrives then 300GB will not be enough.

It's not enough currently. Play some Onlive on top of your current usage. It's about 8mbit/sec and this is for 720p. Just wait until they add 1080p support later this year.

Also, bitcasa (cloud storage) is a.huge data hog.

Tomcat353

join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL

1 recommendation

reply to meinTN

Hopefully in the Jacksonville, FL area they end up testing tier based caps. As of now, I can hit my cap in 6 hours and 20 minutes of constant downloading @ 105Mbps...lol

I would hope for this tier they'll have at least a 750GB/mo cap if not more...

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA

I would agree with that. The most expensive tier should have also the largest base usage if they do it by tier.

What do you do with your connection if you don't mind my asking?

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
reply to Tomcat353

dupe

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:4
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to replaytv1

said by replaytv1:

It probably won't be, but that standard, plus capable devices plus content is still quite away off. And if you can afford the $10k TV you can afford a extra $10 to have a movie delivered.

axus

join:2001-06-18
Washington, DC
reply to whfsdude

Ahh I understand, you think the 300GB cap will actually be enforced, vs. a 250GB cap which is not. Maybe you aren't hitting the 250GB cap?

Tomcat353

Jacksonville, FL
reply to Chris 313

We have about 6 computers and 2 tablets in the house with fairly constant Internet use. Plus I have a Giganews subscription so when my connection is idle I like to be able to max out my connection at 105Mbps with my 50 connections on Giganews.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
Houma, LA
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

That will certainly exercise a connection like that to full speed. Netflix and Hulu are my crack. Plus I download a ton of HD video from several spots. 16/2 is not enough. (It took them 5 years to upgrade me from 8/2 to 16/2) I've a computer and 2 consoles that see nearly 24/7 use.

Tomcat353

Jacksonville, FL

Are faster speeds just not available in your area or are you concerned about cost? For some reason I thought Comcast offered at least the Blast! tier everywhere...

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to axus

i've used terabytes in some months
it is not enforced everywhere

so what's the word on extreme 50 users and 105 users? We deserve a bigger cap

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by JigglyWiggly:

No, YOU don't! This is the process of codifying it, so they can charge for YOUR excesses.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Evanston, IL
reply to whfsdude

why not go to business class?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com

said by ArrayList:

Bitching about it is easier for most people on this forum. It certainly would be the direction I would be going if I was going over 300gb a month consistently.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to JigglyWiggly

said by JigglyWiggly:

I agree with a bigger cap for people on blast, extreme 50, and 105 tiers. I think it would be a good way for Comcast to tout those tiers with higher bandwith caps. Imagine if it was 400gb for blast, 500gb for extreme 50, and 750gb for extreme 105. That would be awesome, and many power users would pay extra for the speed.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast

said by Nightfall:

I think it would be a good way for Comcast to tout those tiers with higher bandwith caps.

But they don't have too. People already willingly pay more for the faster speed, and we are seeing on the east coast (so far) they will give you a big speed bump for free. Now they can see what you (the collective you) will pay for capacity.
The speed restriction were there only until the network could handle D3 speeds fairly consitently.

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList

said by ArrayList:

Business class is not competitive due to their bandwidth pricing, lack of native v6, contract requirements, and inability to bring your own CPE. Also I don't use my personal connection for business (I actually use a data card of that stuff).

I'm lucky in that I have competition and could switch to DSL (20mbit/2) until FiOS is completely rolled out in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I doubt they will ever impose a cap in my neighborhood. They never enforced 250 gigs for me and I did 2-3 terabytes a month. I actually knew a few who did more.