Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Tomcat353

join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL
reply to Chris 313

Re: New bandwidth plan in Nashville

We have about 6 computers and 2 tablets in the house with fairly constant Internet use. Plus I have a Giganews subscription so when my connection is idle I like to be able to max out my connection at 105Mbps with my 50 connections on Giganews.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..
That will certainly exercise a connection like that to full speed. Netflix and Hulu are my crack. Plus I download a ton of HD video from several spots. 16/2 is not enough. (It took them 5 years to upgrade me from 8/2 to 16/2) I've a computer and 2 consoles that see nearly 24/7 use.

Tomcat353

join:2002-12-27
Jacksonville, FL
Are faster speeds just not available in your area or are you concerned about cost? For some reason I thought Comcast offered at least the Blast! tier everywhere...

JigglyWiggly

join:2009-07-12
Pleasanton, CA
reply to axus
i've used terabytes in some months
it is not enforced everywhere

so what's the word on extreme 50 users and 105 users? We deserve a bigger cap

tshirt
Premium,MVM
join:2004-07-11
Snohomish, WA
kudos:5
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by JigglyWiggly:

No, YOU don't! This is the process of codifying it, so they can charge for YOUR excesses.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
join:2005-03-19
Brighton, MA
reply to whfsdude
why not go to business class?

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
join:2001-08-03
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
said by ArrayList:

Bitching about it is easier for most people on this forum. It certainly would be the direction I would be going if I was going over 300gb a month consistently.
--
My domain - Nightfall.net

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to JigglyWiggly
said by JigglyWiggly:

I agree with a bigger cap for people on blast, extreme 50, and 105 tiers. I think it would be a good way for Comcast to tout those tiers with higher bandwith caps. Imagine if it was 400gb for blast, 500gb for extreme 50, and 750gb for extreme 105. That would be awesome, and many power users would pay extra for the speed.
--

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nightfall:

I think it would be a good way for Comcast to tout those tiers with higher bandwith caps.

But they don't have too. People already willingly pay more for the faster speed, and we are seeing on the east coast (so far) they will give you a big speed bump for free. Now they can see what you (the collective you) will pay for capacity.
The speed restriction were there only until the network could handle D3 speeds fairly consitently.

whfsdude
Premium
join:2003-04-05
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to ArrayList
said by ArrayList:

Business class is not competitive due to their bandwidth pricing, lack of native v6, contract requirements, and inability to bring your own CPE. Also I don't use my personal connection for business (I actually use a data card of that stuff).

I'm lucky in that I have competition and could switch to DSL (20mbit/2) until FiOS is completely rolled out in my neighborhood.

Anyway, I doubt they will ever impose a cap in my neighborhood. They never enforced 250 gigs for me and I did 2-3 terabytes a month. I actually knew a few who did more.

JohnInSJ
Premium
join:2003-09-22
Aptos, CA

1 edit

said by whfsdude:
Anyway, I doubt they will ever impose a cap in my neighborhood. They never enforced 250 gigs for me and I did 2-3 terabytes a month. I actually knew a few who did more.

Be sure to pay attention during the three month grace period so you can drop service before your first....

(3TB-300GB)/50GB*10 = $554.4 "add on" for data use bill...
--
My place : »www.schettino.us

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

said by ArrayList:

Business class is not competitive due to their bandwidth pricing, lack of native v6, contract requirements, and inability to bring your own CPE. Also I don't use my personal connection for business (I actually use a data card of that stuff).

I'm lucky in that I have competition and could switch to DSL (20mbit/2) until FiOS is completely rolled out in my neighborhood.

Wow, what a bunch of unresearched crap.

Business class is only about $10 a month more in my area than residential. Business class has v6 now, and even if they didn't, IPv6 isn't even necessary at this point. The contract is not a stoppage situation, especially if you don't mind a cell phone contract or dish contract. You get what you pay for in terms of an SLA as well.

The CPE is really the only real problem that you pointed out. I suppose 1 out of 5 ain't bad.
--

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nightfall:

Wow, what a bunch of unresearched crap.

Uh huh.

said by Nightfall:

Business class has v6 now, and even if they didn't, IPv6 isn't even necessary at this point.

Business class does not have v6 now. Go read any post about v6 on the forums here.

It's necessary if you use it. I've now put things up that are only reachable via IPv6. For example, I'm running a subsonic server on my desktop so I can stream all my music to my cell. My cell being IPv6 only (T-Mo IPv6 beta).

said by Nightfall:

Business class is only about $10 a month more in my area than residential.

Depends on the market. That's not the same here for the same speed package.

said by Nightfall:

The contract is not a stoppage situation, especially if you don't mind a cell phone contract or dish contract.

It is for me. I don't do service commitment contracts. How is this lack of research on my part?

said by Nightfall:

You get what you pay for in terms of an SLA as well.

SLA doesn't do more than credit you for an outage. I actually haven't had a cable outage since January and previously it was just a blip. I have seen routing outages w/ Comcast which an SLA isn't going to protect you against.

The CPE is really the only real problem that you pointed out. I suppose 1 out of 5 ain't bad.

...Okay

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Nightfall
said by Nightfall:

said by whfsdude:

said by ArrayList:

Business class is not competitive due to their bandwidth pricing, lack of native v6, contract requirements, and inability to bring your own CPE...

Actually a residential customer (who by definition has a dynamic IP account) who is migrating to a business class account and wishes to keep the dynamic IP environment can use their own SB6120 or SB6121 standard cable modem. That limitation to only those two modems may indeed be a deal killer for some users, but it it not true that business class customer with dynamic IP addresses (which would probably describe most residential customers who migrate because of the bandwidth cap) can not use a customer owned modem (they are just limited in their choice of modems).

The only business class customers who are forced to use a Comcast leased "modem", are static IP account customers, who must use the Comcast branded SMC gateway.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by NetFixer:

Actually a residential customer (who by definition has a dynamic IP account) who is migrating to a business class account and wishes to keep the dynamic IP environment can use their own SB6120 or SB6120 standard cable modem

Well correct me if I'm wrong you still have to lease the CPE. I actually dumped the 6120 awhile ago because I was throughput issues during peak hours. Had to go to an 8x4.

I suspect, although I'm not sure, that Comcast uses different channels for business accounts. So I could likely get away with a 4x4.

Anyway, I'm in DC so it won't be an issue until this goes nationwide. At which point I will promptly switch providers if the same cap policy is applied that is in Nashville.

Edit: Oh I just saw "keep." So looks like you can avoid the fee.

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to whfsdude
I'm on business class and have native v6.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by ArrayList:

I'm on business class and have native v6.

Is that a dynamic IP account using an SB612x modem or a static IP account?

If it is a dynamic IP account, then I don't think that Comcast makes any differentiation between residential customers and dynamic IP account business class customers using an SB612x modem.

If it is a static IP account, I would be interested in knowing what kind of router Comcast is using (or if you got a special IPv6 firmware upload to your SMCD3G-CCR).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Nightfall
My Goal Is To Deny Yours
Premium,MVM
Grand Rapids, MI
Reviews:
·ooma
·Comcast
·Callcentric
·Site5.com
reply to whfsdude
Ok, maybe i was a little harsh in my original post and misspoke on a few things. However, some of my points still have some merit.

First off, some business class users have IPv6. To say none have it is a lack of research.

You have a cell phone contract but say you don't do service commitment contract? I admit its a lack of research on my part, but its a lie on your part.

The SLA does do more than credit you for an outage. The uptime SLA gives you better support and faster tech dispatch than a regular user.

Oh, and the subsonic server also works over IPv4 as well.

As for the cost, you are right it is market dependent, but I did a quick check on Washington DC and the cost between regular cable and business class is only $10 a month.

It does sound like you are doing some more advanced things, I will say that much. Many of the things you are doing are a luxury. Eventually, you are going to have to pay the piper for that bandwidth you are using.
--

whfsdude
Premium
Washington, DC
Reviews:
·Comcast
said by Nightfall:

First off, some business class users have IPv6. To say none have it is a lack of research.

You have a cell phone contract but say you don't do service commitment contract? I admit its a lack of research on my part, but its a lie on your part.

Correct. Only legal contract I have is their terms of service. Bought my own phone outright.

said by Nightfall:

Oh, and the subsonic server also works over IPv4 as well.

Yes but not on my phone as it has to go through a CGN NAT64 gateway for IPv4 access. Creates a lot of problems when doing anything bandwidth intensive in v4 land.

said by Nightfall:

As for the cost, you are right it is market dependent, but I did a quick check on Washington DC and the cost between regular cable and business class is only $10 a month.

Blast price difference is slightly more. I'd also have to unbundle TV which drives the price up further. The solution would be move to FiOS which is slated to be available in August (orange trunk conduit just got pulled on my pole today). I'll be happy to stay with Comcast as long as they stay competitive and don't implement a cap here.

said by Nightfall:

It does sound like you are doing some more advanced things, I will say that much. Many of the things you are doing are a luxury. Eventually, you are going to have to pay the piper for that bandwidth you are using.

Advanced things now, yes, but not for long. Services like Onlive or Gaikai (Sony just bought them) are going to become mainstream pretty quickly. Getting a little ahead of ourselves but lets assume the PS4 has a cloud gaming option, 500gb-1tb will become "normal" traffic patterns pretty quickly.

I'd also argue Comcast is price gouging with such low caps. Of course all of this is speculation until we see some numbers behind delivery costs from them. I think consumers should be pretty damn skeptical until Comcast opens up some data.

JohnnyBeGood

join:2008-04-18
Seattle, WA
reply to meinTN
said by whfsdude:

said by Nightfall:

said by Nightfall:

Business class is only about $10 a month more in my area than residential.

Depends on the market. That's not the same here for the same speed package.

Can someone post what they're paying for Business dynamic ip internet in WA state? Is business internet available in residential neighborhood?

$10 seems really reasonable, sign me up

TIA

EG
The wings of love
Premium
join:2006-11-18
Union, NJ
kudos:10

1 recommendation

reply to whfsdude
said by whfsdude:

I suspect, although I'm not sure, that Comcast uses different channels for business accounts.

FWIW here, nope, it's all the same carriers.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to JohnnyBeGood
said by JohnnyBeGood:

Can someone post what they're paying for Business dynamic ip internet in WA state? Is business internet available in residential neighborhood?

TIA

HFC
I don't live in WA, but you can get all of the HFC based business class service details at »business.comcast.com/smb/service···et/plans

As for the $10 price differential, that is for the $59.95 12/2 mbps Business Class Starter plan compared to the $48.95 Performance plan (which is advertised as "up to" 20/4 mbps, but that figure includes the hokey PowerBoost, so the real sustained speed is closer to the 12/2 figure that is honestly promoted for business class). Of course, those prices (like most things that Comcast does) will vary by region and each individual franchise. And FWIW, the $48.95 Performance price in my area also assumes that you are already a Comcast TV subscriber, so the 12/2 Business Class Starter plan (which has no Comcast TV subscription requirement) is potentially cheaper here than the residential Performance plan.

The price differential for faster speeds is not linear (and as has already been pointed out, business class service does not have the seemingly infinite triple play options that are so profuse for residential plans).

If you need business class service it is a good deal, but it is not designed to make the typical "consumer" who is primarily interested in the "lowest price" happy. It is what it is...Business Class service (and yes, it can be installed at a residential address, as mine is).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
Click for full size
For 22/5
said by NetFixer:

said by JohnnyBeGood:

TIA

HFC
I don't live in WA, but you can get all of the HFC based business class service details at »business.comcast.com/smb/service···et/plans

As for the $10 price differential, that is for the $59.95 12/2 mbps Business Class Starter plan compared to the $48.95 Performance plan (which is advertised as "up to" 20/4 mbps, but that figure includes the hokey PowerBoost, so the real sustained speed is closer to the 12/2 figure that is honestly promoted for business class). Of course, those prices (like most things that Comcast does) will vary by region and each individual franchise. And FWIW, the $48.95 Performance price in my area also assumes that you are already a Comcast TV subscriber, so the 12/2 Business Class Starter plan (which has no Comcast TV subscription requirement) is potentially cheaper here than the residential Performance plan.

The price differential for faster speeds is not linear (and as has already been pointed out, business class service does not have the seemingly infinite triple play options that are so profuse for residential plans).

If you need business class service it is a good deal, but it is not designed to make the typical "consumer" who is primarily interested in the "lowest price" happy. It is what it is...Business Class service (and yes, it can be installed at a residential address, as mine is).

Thanks for the reply!

I just checked it and installation fee for 1 year would be $199 which isn't good for me. Looking back at my usage I had months where my household went over 300GB.
So sign me up

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
It says "Total Bundle Price" what is in that bundle?

I have a feeling as they begin to charge for overages on residential, that Biz pricing and terms are going to be a bit higher, contracts a bit longer just to seperate them from a cheap cap-free plans.

Chris 313
Come get some
Premium
join:2004-07-18
Houma, LA
kudos:1
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse
·Vonage
·Comcast
·Comcast Digital ..

1 edit
reply to Tomcat353
said by Tomcat353:

Are faster speeds just not available in your area or are you concerned about cost? For some reason I thought Comcast offered at least the Blast! tier everywhere...

Faster speeds just aren't available. Cost is also a concern. I could pay the extra 50 bucks for the Extreme 50 tier (Which is being upgraded to 105 in the NE section. You gotta know that's Comcast's plan for everywhere. It'd be stupid otherwise, since you'd have a chance to crush AT&T where they stand.) but to do that I'd have to shift some things around or eliminate them all together. And I'm not really ready to do that. Plus, over the past few years and the recent news of upgrades, I've found I'm comfortable with Blast! especially as far as price goes. (I pay 62.95 total.)

And 16/2 is Blast! here. It's been here since 3/20/11. But it's taken them that long to get 16/2 here. Back in 2007, I got 8/768 the day it was available and aside from the upgrade to 2200 upload, I was forced to stay with 8/2 speeds as the fastest available for 5 years.
Meanwhile, I watched people get higher and better speeds from 22/5 on up to the 105 speed. Docsis 3 upgrades haven't even been done here yet and I think it'll be unlikely I'll see anything better until sometime in 2013.

JohnnyBeGood

Seattle, WA
reply to tshirt
said by tshirt:

It says "Total Bundle Price" what is in that bundle?

I have a feeling as they begin to charge for overages on residential, that Biz pricing and terms are going to be a bit higher, contracts a bit longer just to seperate them from a cheap cap-free plans.

I did not choose TV so that's why its not showing under bundle discount. Either way confusing

tshirt
Premium,MVM
Snohomish, WA
Reviews:
·Comcast
Yeah I looked up nearby, (my home zip code no longer works even though there are plenty of small business locations along a nearby highway, My house is quite rural, not a real bizhub type place, again more restrictions on Biz accounts)
the bundle includes some basic web space tools, email and iP's as well as Norton biz security stuff (all included in the bundle, barely worth the FREE price tag)

ArrayList
netbus developer
Premium
Brighton, MA
reply to NetFixer
It is in fact, dynamic with a SB 6120. Same exact setup that I had on residential. Same IPs & everything.

NetFixer
Freedom is NOT Free
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by ArrayList:

It is in fact, dynamic with a SB 6120. Same exact setup that I had on residential. Same IPs & everything.

Interesting that you have the same IP address(es) with business class as you had with residential service. I had assumed that Comcast would reserve different IP address ranges for business class customers. I guess the xxxxxxxxx.hfc.comcastbusiness.net entries I see in my server and firewall logs belong to static IP address customers.

I just did a PTR record check for the WAN IP address that recently showed up for my SMCD3G-CCR after a tier 1 CSR accidentally set it up for DHCP instead of static IP, and it mapped to xxxxxxxxx..hsd1.tn.comcast.net instead of a comcastbusiness.net hostname, so it does indeed appear that dynamic IP business class customers share the same IP address space as residential customers. That could be a bummer for any dynamic IP address business class customer who tried to use a local smtp server to send email directly (instead of using a "smarthost") since so many commercial and corporate email servers blacklist residential dynamic IP addresses (but I guess that is just one way that Comcast can coerce business class customers who want to run servers into leasing static IP addresses).
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower