Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

scross

join:2002-09-13
Cordova, TN

1 recommendation

reply to Badonkadonk

Re: What country are sharp window air conditioners made?

said by Badonkadonk:

The auto industry's arrogance sank them. As for Boeing, it's hard to compete with a state backed company.

I won't mention my company or our brands, but we lead in almost all the businesses in which we compete. And like I said, the premium products are done here. The cheap stuff is done elsewhere. So all the cutting edge design work is US based and the products command a premium so we can hire in the US and pay competitive wages. We use patents to keep out the Chinese. Once the patents are up and the low cost manufacturers move in, we're off to the next product.

You wouldn't believe the strategic planning that we do in all aspects of the business and the processes we have down to protect our technologies and how we stay efficient and lean. You don't get to be where we are and in the businesses in which we are by not executing.

Does it mean that Bubba won't be able to sit back and collect a boatload of money by doing nothing? Yes. Does it mean people without higher education may lose their jobs as we automate more? Yes. Does it mean that if you aren't among the top of your peers in the white collar roles that you'll be let go? Yes. Will you work harder than you used to? Yes.

But for those that make the cut, does it mean you'll have a job where the survival of the company is no longer in doubt? Yes. If you're retained, are you considered a top performer? Yes. Are you rewarded for that? Yes. Does it increase your job security? Yes.

We are competitive and leaders throughout the world.

Well, at one time I might have speculated that you work with or for Motorola, but I'm not sure that they are really "world class" any more. In fact, I don't even know if they even exist as such any more. Didn't they have some kind of break-up? And didn't they sell off all or most of their patent portfolio? I do remember someone knowledgeable in these matters once speculating that, out of the thousands and thousands of Motorola patents in existence, probably only some ridiculously low number (a dozen maybe, if that) had actual technological value, with the rest just being legal fodder. And it's been a bit hilarious to see how pathetic these patent fights have turned out in court lately; Oracle vs. Google has been especially entertaining for me, because even I could easily find prior art. If only some of those overpaid, overeducated, but largely incompetent patent lawyers had done their jobs better, then maybe some of this crap could have been avoided!

And, in case you haven't been paying attention, with the latest economic woes a lot of those "top" employees have lost their jobs, too - along with their savings, and maybe their homes, and so on. And just because you're a survivor doesn't necessarily mean you're safe in the long term. I myself (being a "top performer") survived round after round of layoffs at a former employer, along with a relative handful of others in my area. They were whittling things down to "the cream of the crop", they said, and one of the VPs even flew out to tell us in person that we had all been personally selected BY HIM to stay, and what a great job we were doing, and that all of our jobs were safe, and so on and so forth. Luckily not all of use believed him!

So, of course, within a month they announced major office closures all across the country (more of that "Ive League financial engineering" gone sour), and they almost had to close down the entire corporate operation, too, plus they cut field operations to the bone. That was something like 25,000 jobs gone, almost overnight. They are still around but operating with basically a skeleton crew, have been getting royally screwed over since day one by the outsourcing providers who they thought would save them, and are on a long-standing corporate "death watch". Current projections show that they will probably be out of cash within twelve months, if not sooner, and their lines of credit have already been exhausted, so they have resorted to selling off their prime assets in order to stay afloat. But you know it's kind of hard to run a successful and profitable business (it has been neither of these for several years now) once you've lost your best employees, and sold off everything else of value. Apparently that's something they didn't get taught at Harvard!

As far as education goes: Perhaps I should describe my attitude towards it as there being a need for more of a "lean, just-in-time" system - one where you learn much of what you need to know when you need to know it, not years earlier when it may have grown stale or out of date over time. And we really shouldn't be rewarding people just because they stayed in school for a really long time, or just because they went to the "right" schools, or whatever. Again, this is a big part of what's WRONG with this country today, not what's right!