uniqs
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan to Spice300

to Spice300

Re: [Exede] $9.99/GB if you want more

said by Spice300:

As if terrestrial fiber optic Internet service costs more than a satellite FIOS would have to cost 10 times more than the satellite to have the effect on the price of the service that you asset. The equipment and installation are not subsidized because the equipment is leased and the installation fee is renamed to a bogus activation fee. This was the same BS that cable TV companies were doing in the 1980's that led to federal regulation to forbid it. The greatly increased bandwidth of Viasat-1 means that Exede could offer higher speeds, higher caps and reduced price while increasing their profit compared to legacy Wildblue. The executives chose not to, plain and simple.

They have to pay for fiber to the gateways and a boat load of bandwidth to the internet PLUS the cost of the satellites, etc., etc. No matter what the facts and the numbers say I know you think that those greedy companies are just ripping you off, so enjoy the hate. Better yet, why don't you start a satellite ISP and show us how it's done. If it's as great as you say it should be we'll all sign up.
TexasRebel
join:2011-05-29
Edgewood, TX

TexasRebel

Dude will you stop being a goddam cheerleader for corporate greed?? Fiber does not cost that damn much to plant.. You act like it's made of some precious mineral that they have to mine for on Titan, one of the moons of Saturn.

ViaSat spent somewhere around $500 million to get the satellite built, launched, parked in a orbital slot and then all the ground infrastructure in place.. It's a chuck of change, but you forget ViaSat is a huge company that has many other business units that are making it money..

Just STFU with, `why don't you create you own satellite ISP', you know if I had the money, I'd gone with a Stratellite model. Extremely high altitude blimps carrying the same electronics which would probably be less weight.. Unfortunately, I don't have a too big to fail bank to loan me the money, which is printed out of effin thin air..

Expand your moderator at work
Spice300
Premium Member
join:2006-01-10

Spice300 to JSheridan

Premium Member

to JSheridan

said by JSheridan:

Better yet, why don't you start a satellite ISP and show us how it's done. If it's as great as you say it should be we'll all sign up.

Announcing initial stock offering for BetterSat LLC. of 70 million shares. Only $10 / share with a minimum purchase of 10,000 shares. Get in on the ground floor because the sky is the limit.

With a capacity of 100 Tb/s and 200 spot beams our satellite will cover all of North America and Hawaii supporting 1.5 million customers. That's 8.3 MB/s/customer sustained with no usage limit, no FAP, no DAP, no nanny, no NMP. We will raise residential broadband Internet access via satellite to a new level of consumer satisfaction. Every Internet protocol that can tolerate a 500 to 600 ms latency will be supported. We will smother the competition. We will create our own continental installation network of internally trained and certified installers. Bad installs will be a thing of the past. Our customer service reps will be citizens of the country to which they sell service. They will be trained and our policies fair and honest.

We anticipate the cost of the service to be around $30 / month with an installation fee of $200 returning 8 billion gross over the 15 year minimum lifetime of the satellite
JSheridan
join:2006-07-03
USA

JSheridan

said by Spice300:

said by JSheridan:

Better yet, why don't you start a satellite ISP and show us how it's done. If it's as great as you say it should be we'll all sign up.

Announcing initial stock offering for BetterSat LLC. of 70 million shares. Only $10 / share with a minimum purchase of 10,000 shares. Get in on the ground floor because the sky is the limit.

With a capacity of 100 Tb/s and 200 spot beams our satellite will cover all of North America and Hawaii supporting 1.5 million customers. That's 8.3 MB/s/customer sustained with no usage limit, no FAP, no DAP, no nanny, no NMP. We will raise residential broadband Internet access via satellite to a new level of consumer satisfaction. Every Internet protocol that can tolerate a 500 to 600 ms latency will be supported. We will smother the competition. We will create our own continental installation network of internally trained and certified installers. Bad installs will be a thing of the past. Our customer service reps will be citizens of the country to which they sell service. They will be trained and our policies fair and honest.

We anticipate the cost of the service to be around $30 / month with an installation fee of $200 returning 8 billion gross over the 15 year minimum lifetime of the satellite

I'm in. Sign me up.
DrStrangLov
join:2012-03-28

DrStrangLov

said by TexasRebel:

Fiber itself is not that expensive.

Where I live, I was told by a telco worker it cost around $15K/mile to lay it.

I have no idea if worker was right or wrong.