Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle to obdurl

Premium Member

to obdurl

Re: [Speed] Suddenlink Cable internet Lag

No, at the isp level the ports are either open or closed. You can get any number of freeware will scan all ports and tell you which are open/closed. Obviously you'll have to compare that to what you have setup in the router's firewall aswell.

What I'm confused about now is that your phone is not having any issues with latency but the PS3 is. If it's a latency issue on the isp side then the phone *should* be getting hit also.

Can you replicate all these speed test issues and latency problems from the wired in desktop also?

Also forgot to ask if your Appletv is sharing up any tv across the network? Background syncing or streaming programs can hit a network hard enough to cause lag in games if not setup properly.
obdurl
join:2012-06-25
Muskogee, OK

obdurl

I asked about the ports since the online games require it. I have also followed Acitvisions instructions by following the steps to portforward my router for the PS3. But you have to remember I have even connected the PS3 direct to the modem and had the same issues since with out the router all the ports should be open.
I have run several 3rd party web apps to scan for open ports both from the MAc and from the PS3. Most of them say that all the ports are closed and SL says they do not have any ports blocked. Some programs may say that there are maybe a dozen ports open and they are not the ones I am trying to open.

Replicating the issues on my Mac Pro is kinda hard to do when normal internet usage works okay as a norm. My connection to SL from the Mac works great and fast pretty much. I do not play online games on it. But when the PS3 connects to Sony or the Game servers I have problems.

The Apple TV is asleep when I am play games. But yes I have it shared to my Mac and it only is shared when the Mac is on.

I did just realize that the 2 modems I have that the Lan is enabled up to 100 mg and I guess the (Full) means Full Duplex. I am wondering why and if it should be cranked up to 1000 mg(Full) on the rate since MY Router, My Mac Pro, and My PS3 are compatible with 10, 100, and 1000 mg. Is that an issue or not a concern at all?

Docsis 3.0

IP and MAC ADDR PARAMETERS
Interface Name Provisioned State Speed MAC address IP address Subnet Mask
LAN Enabled Up 100(Full) 00:1D:CD:C5:89:77 192.168.100.1 255.255.255.0
CABLE Enabled Up ----- 00:1D:CD:C5:89:78 10.243.2.227 255.255.240.0
USB Enabled Down ----- 00:1D:CD:C5:89:79 ----- -----
jdmm72
join:2002-02-12
Cary, NC

jdmm72 to moldypickle

to moldypickle
My guess is that voice and data travel different paths over SLs network. My ping is times are at 135ms on data side right now, or .135s, which would be noticible to a human, as we can detect at 100ms or better. Yet, I have no noticible lag on my phone.

Voice has a high priority over most networks.

moldypickle
Premium Member
join:2009-01-04
Haughton, LA
ARRIS SB8200
Ubiquiti UDM-Pro
Ubiquiti UniFi UAP-nanoHD

moldypickle

Premium Member

said by jdmm72:

My guess is that voice and data travel different paths over SLs network. My ping is times are at 135ms on data side right now, or .135s, which would be noticible to a human, as we can detect at 100ms or better. Yet, I have no noticible lag on my phone.

Voice has a high priority over most networks.

Figured they were prioritized, but any time I've seen severe latency issue, the phones usually wonk out too. Of course I'm talking far higher than 100ms too....

Would be interesting to get to talk to an engineer about how the phone is setup in the network.