share rss forum feed

KCrimson
Premium
join:2001-02-25
Brooklyn, NY
kudos:1

iGoogle shutting down on 11/1/13

»support.google.com/websearch/bin···=2664197

When I first read the info that Google has posted about ceasing its iGoogle portal, I was angered at their suppositions and marketing, but have calmed a bit and realized that its their business to manage as they see fit. I remain convinced that this WILL prove to be a shortsighted mistake when they see significantly less traffic. I still find that a good portal set as my home page on my browser is one of the single most important parts of my computing experience, and iGoogle has been that portal since weeks, if not days after its inception.

Rojo_P

join:2001-10-03
Lancaster, OH

Agree.

IMHO, Google wants to be trendy and hip and cater to the 12 year old crowd who have the attention span of a gnat. Their market strategy is to appeal to the twit lovers and social media parasites who want to be young again.
iGoogle was a great idea that allowed for the viewing of headlines and other quick glimpses of information important to each user, all on a single home page, by adding apps that could configured to specific needs.
When they announced the shut down I changed my homepage to "My Yahoo". Although not nearly as refined as iGoogle, I can make it work with the use of "always open" tabs in Firefox.

Google really pissed me off when they lost highlighted cached results in their search engine (if you were signed into one of their other services, e.g. iGoogle or Gmail). They knew of the problem for a couple of years but ignored user complaints because they couldn't be bothered to fix the very thing that got them started in business. (Reminded me of the latter 80's and 90's when our "computer guys" would tell the staff what information they were going to get and never asked what information they needed).

Screw Google, I will purposely avoid them!
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

sivran
Opera ex-pat
Premium
join:2003-09-15
Irving, TX
reply to KCrimson

I liked iGoogle, it had a clean, easy to use interface much like every other Google product. I actually used to use it at work, I'd put links to our various internet/intranet-based tools on it and use it to start them.

But, at home, I realized I didn't want Google following me around everywhere, and that's exactly what would happen if I kept using iGoogle, so I stopped. Meh, between Speed Dial and restoring sessions on startup, I didn't need a portal anymore anyway.
--
Think Outside the Fox.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3

1 recommendation

reply to KCrimson

Good ridens
it was a waste, just give me back the plain simple google homepage.

beachintech
There's sand in my tool bag
Premium
join:2008-01-06
kudos:5

You don't have to use it, ever. It's not hurting anything. Sad to see it go, I use it every day.
--
Ex-Tech at the Beach.
I speak for myself, not my former employer.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

well its not something that should be a google product.

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 recommendation

said by DarkLogix:

Why's that? It combines Google Search with various widgets, some of the best of which are Google products themselves. Gd forbid the convenience of having them appear at one time in one tab in any browser - it just SHOULDN'T be.

I'll likely go back to using Yahoo's portal once iGoogle goes dark, if not then I'll find another from the existing or replacements that will surely (and gladly) jump into the void.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Google started on simplicity not clutter

KCrimson
Premium
Brooklyn, NY

1 edit

said by DarkLogix:

Google started on simplicity not clutter

.. as did many of its search engine predecessors and current competitors. One of the nicest features of the iGoogle portal is its flexibility, ie. it can be as complex or simple as you like. Lets not fantasize that the loss of iGoogle leaves the company with only its signature search engine.

Edit - I'd like to add that if your "beef" is with Google's domination of online data, iGoogle is likely the product of theirs that LEAST contributes to the problem - certainly no more than its search engine results or the use of any of their other online "products".

2nd Edit - to continue that trend of thought... if anything, the closure of iGoogle seems to be prompted by Google's desire to increase that domination. They're already pushing Chrome replacements.

Hall
Premium,MVM
join:2000-04-28
Germantown, OH
kudos:2
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

You work for Google, in their marketing or business development group ?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Hall:

said by DarkLogix:

I wish I hear they make tons and even more when people riot in the streets over the main google page redesigns and ads for iGoogle showing up on their nice clean google page.

I want the 2003 google back

Rojo_P

Lancaster, OH

said by DarkLogix:

said by Hall:

said by DarkLogix:

I wish I hear they make tons and even more when people riot in the streets over the main google page redesigns and ads for iGoogle showing up on their nice clean google page.

I want the 2003 google back

Again, no one forced you to use igoogle, and if you really want a cleaner page you could always use Google India
--
There's nothing big I want to prove,
No mountains that I need to move,
Or even claim what's right or true for you.

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

»www.google.com/ is still an extremely clean page.

I remember seeing a show about Google in their early days and them doing usability tests with their main page. They said most users/testers would sit and wait and wait for the page to finish loading -- when it was already done, of course. They all expected there to be more stuff on the page.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Hall:

»www.google.com/ is still an extremely clean page.

I remember seeing a show about Google in their early days and them doing usability tests with their main page. They said most users/testers would sit and wait and wait for the page to finish loading -- when it was already done, of course. They all expected there to be more stuff on the page.

you forget when google pushed iggogle and put big bing like pics on the main page

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Rojo_P

said by Rojo_P:

Again, no one forced you to use igoogle, and if you really want a cleaner page you could always use Google India

Actualy I use httpS://ipv6.google.com at home and httpS://www.google.com at work

and edited the browser's search to use the same

dvd536
as Mr. Pink as they come
Premium
join:2001-04-27
Phoenix, AZ
kudos:4
reply to KCrimson

Good riddance igoogle. HATED IT!

Hall
Premium,MVM
Germantown, OH

Why did you use it if you hated it ?

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

said by Hall:

User support.

Rojo_P

Lancaster, OH
reply to Hall

said by Hall:

Some guys would hate for a TV show because their girlfriend makes them watch it.