All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

[Rant] People standing in bus rear doorway (TTC)

I live near the Toronto/Vaughan border and occasionally take the TTC. The newer TTC buses do not have steps at the rear door. It seems that half the time some inconsiderate person decides to stand in the doorway. Sometimes it's even 2 people, so anyone getting off has to squeeze in between them.

This happens even when there are lots of empty seats on the bus, and the persons aren't getting off at the next stop either. They'll often stand in the doorway for half an hour during a long trip.
franch
join:1999-11-03
Canada

franch

This doesn't bother me so much. The rear doors are quite wide so even with two people standing there you can get out. Must be a side effect of having to ride during rush hour where people HAVE to stand there.

I'm more annoyed by people who stand in the subway doors on the older trains with the narrower doors. When they do this, you're forced to enter and exit in single file and it takes so much longer to board and exit the train. Even worse are the people who board the train and then immediately stop standing in the doorway when people are still behind them trying to get on even though there is still lots of space inside. I would think it would be common sense to keep moving into the train if people are still behind you getting on.
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes
This happened to me yesterday on an LTC bus. One douchebag (covered in tats, baggy jeans, piercings and a wife beater) accompanied by two fat chicks. Bad enough, there were many empty seats at the back, they just chose to stand right in the doorway and be annoying assholes.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Walter Dnes

Premium Member

to Walter Dnes
What ticks me off is the damn kids with thier backpacks, that must have their entire belongings in them. I swear they stick a foot or more out the back.

If I run into one of them I ask them to take the backpack off.

As for the door blockers.. that's easy, I just "stumble" right into them.

J E F F4
Whatta Ya Think About Dat?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-01
Kitchener, ON

1 recommendation

J E F F4 to LondonOntGuy

Premium Member

to LondonOntGuy
said by LondonOntGuy:

This happened to me yesterday on an LTC bus. One douchebag (covered in tats, baggy jeans, piercings and a wife beater) accompanied by two fat chicks. Bad enough, there were many empty seats at the back, they just chose to stand right in the doorway and be annoying assholes.

In the past, I'd simply push my way out. What are they going to do? Chase you? Welfare only gives you two tickets.

Don't miss the old days of riding public transit. We didn't get the yellow bus in Kitchener for my high school...although having the monthly pass was a bonus if I left school early. Or went in late.

dirtyjeffer0
Posers don't use avatars.
Premium Member
join:2002-02-21
London, ON

dirtyjeffer0 to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

As for the door blockers.. that's easy, I just "stumble" right into them.

or don't take the bus.

Mark
I stand with my feet
join:2009-07-11
Canada

Mark to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes
My rant is people in general.

sosumi
join:2011-09-28
Toronto

sosumi to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes
I ride the ttc every day. I agree the people are very ignorant when blocking both the front of the bus entryway and the rear exit. The front is especially always blocked by older women, that seem to just always want to stand in the front. you ask them to move to the back and they get angry.

what is worst is the extremely large baby stroller with wheels from what look like small bicycle. ever since the ttc put the low floor buses those people with those huge things block the bus big time especially in rushe hour.

another annoying thing is the people with the cellphones playing loud annoying music. i hate to say it but its mostly blacks. buy a pair of headphone its not expensive.

plenty of ignorant people on the ttc. always has been this way.

crazycanuck
@teksavvy.com

crazycanuck

Anon

The Eastmall bus in Etobicoke is pretty much packed on the weekend even after 8 pm. Some people do block the doors but I think if you ask kindly they will move.

corster
Premium Member
join:2002-02-23
Oshawa, ON

corster to Walter Dnes

Premium Member

to Walter Dnes
said by Walter Dnes:

I live near the Toronto/Vaughan border and occasionally take the TTC. The newer TTC buses do not have steps at the rear door. It seems that half the time some inconsiderate person decides to stand in the doorway. Sometimes it's even 2 people, so anyone getting off has to squeeze in between them.

This happens even when there are lots of empty seats on the bus, and the persons aren't getting off at the next stop either. They'll often stand in the doorway for half an hour during a long trip.

Low floor buses are terrible for standees. The doorway is pretty much the best place to stand on one.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues

Premium Member

Those low floor buses are a joke, the hold less people and you gotta be 5ft tall to sit in the seats on the riser part, or your knees are in your face.

I think it's mandated that all public transportation be "accessible" now. I don't have a huge issue with it, since I'm sure it costs a bundle to run the taxis, let alone the stand alone Wheel Trans buses.

milnoc
join:2001-03-05
Ottawa

milnoc

Are these the Nova buses?

Are you aware they're designed and made in Quebec according to government and transit authority mandates and specifications?

Now do you understand why they're so poorly designed?

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

Are you aware they're designed and made in Quebec according to government and transit authority mandates and specifications?

Nope, TTC doesn't use Novas. To be honest, living in Gatineau, I ride them a fair bit now and they're by far the best low floor buses i've ever rode, maybe even better than the Van Hools used by VIVA in York Region.

Much better then the New Looks and Orions used in the GTA and Ottawa.

HiVolt
Premium Member
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to milnoc

Premium Member

to milnoc
said by milnoc:

No, TTC uses Orion buses.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster to elwoodblues

Premium Member

to elwoodblues
said by elwoodblues:

Those low floor buses are a joke, the hold less people and you gotta be 5ft tall to sit in the seats on the riser part, or your knees are in your face.

I think it's mandated that all public transportation be "accessible" now. I don't have a huge issue with it, since I'm sure it costs a bundle to run the taxis, let alone the stand alone Wheel Trans buses.

Except I somehow doubt that Wheel Trans has been cut at all since the TTC's bus fleet went 100% accessible.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc to corster

to corster
said by corster:

Nope, TTC doesn't use Novas. To be honest, living in Gatineau, I ride them a fair bit now and they're by far the best low floor buses i've ever rode, maybe even better than the Van Hools used by VIVA in York Region.

The Novas are BETTER?!?

Could have fooled me! We had better luck navigating inside the previous generation of buses. Then again, they were pretty high up from the ground.

The hump at the back of the Novas however are still a real pain, although the newer models have a more open concept for everything except your legs and feet.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by milnoc:

said by corster:

The Novas are BETTER?!?

Could have fooled me! We had better luck navigating inside the previous generation of buses. Then again, they were pretty high up from the ground.

The hump at the back of the Novas however are still a real pain, although the newer models have a more open concept for everything except your legs and feet.

High Floor buses are always better, and many of the buses in the STO fleet are still high-floor, which is awesome.

But yeah, the Orion VII used by the TTC (and OC Transpo now) has got to be the least comfortable low floor bus i've ever rode on, followed closely by the New Flyer Inveros used by OC Transpo. The New Flyer D40LF/D60LFs aren't as bad, but the Novas still provide more room.

The good news is that Orions are no longer being manufactured by Daimler, so the TTC will have to go with either New Flyer or Nova next time around.
MichelR
join:2011-07-03
Trois-Rivieres, QC

MichelR

When I was in Gatineau, the Nova low-floor buses were often on the side of the road waiting to be towed. Some didn't even make it from St-Eustache to Montréal, just a few kilometers apart. They may have improved over the years, however. I remember a news report a few years back to the effect that a lot of the STM fleet of Nova were lemons that were always in the shop and taking a toll on their ability to have the required amount of buses on the streets.

I hate low-floor buses - not enough seats, which is particularly annoying for long rides. I was taking express route 88 and those buses were always so full as to have people on the steps at the front of the bus (kind of scary with the route taking hwy 50 back then).

It was always a blessing when one of the older (high-floor) buses showed up instead of the low-floor p.o.s.

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by MichelR:

When I was in Gatineau, the Nova low-floor buses were often on the side of the road waiting to be towed. Some didn't even make it from St-Eustache to Montréal, just a few kilometers apart. They may have improved over the years, however. I remember a news report a few years back to the effect that a lot of the STM fleet of Nova were lemons that were always in the shop and taking a toll on their ability to have the required amount of buses on the streets.

I hate low-floor buses - not enough seats, which is particularly annoying for long rides. I was taking express route 88 and those buses were always so full as to have people on the steps at the front of the bus (kind of scary with the route taking hwy 50 back then).

It was always a blessing when one of the older (high-floor) buses showed up instead of the low-floor p.o.s.

Nova's first generation of LFS buses were absolutely terrible, reliability-wise. Then again, every manufactuer has made a terrible product once in a while - TTC had to pull a bunch of older generations of Orions off the road a few years back because they kept failing, and OC Transpo had a batch of lemons delivered to them by New Flyer (the first batch of D60LF delivered between 2001-2004 were terrible, the last few were pulled from service in early 2010.)

Meanwhile STO is still running Nova Classics from the late 80s and early 90s, and the TTC was able to push their fleet of 70's and 80's GM New Looks right up until the end of 2011, when they were retired not because of mechanical issues, but because they weren't accessible.
peterboro (banned)
join:2006-11-03
Peterborough, ON

peterboro (banned) to sosumi

to sosumi
said by sosumi:

another annoying thing is the people with the cellphones playing loud annoying music. i hate to say it but its mostly blacks.

Posting statements like that even if true will get you the racist label in here. Try to be a little more culturally sensitive from now on.

Mashiki
Balking The Enemy's Plans
join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON

Mashiki

said by peterboro:

Posting statements like that even if true will get you the racist label in here. Try to be a little more culturally sensitive from now on.

Man that could get you into all sorts of trouble. Imagine if someone started saying that cannibalism was a part of their culture. Would people just line up for it?

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt to corster

Premium Member

to corster
said by corster:

TTC was able to push their fleet of 70's and 80's GM New Looks right up until the end of 2011, when they were retired not because of mechanical issues, but because they weren't accessible.

I have a friend who's a TTC driver for 20 years, and he said that the best buses were the GM fishbowls in terms of duarbility. He said the newer low floor buses were so fragile in the winter, the sides were made of soft aluminum and they would always get wrecked in the winters when the buses would turn around corners with iced over snow banks...

corster
Premium Member
Oshawa, ON

corster

Premium Member

said by HiVolt:

said by corster:

TTC was able to push their fleet of 70's and 80's GM New Looks right up until the end of 2011, when they were retired not because of mechanical issues, but because they weren't accessible.

I have a friend who's a TTC driver for 20 years, and he said that the best buses were the GM fishbowls in terms of duarbility. He said the newer low floor buses were so fragile in the winter, the sides were made of soft aluminum and they would always get wrecked in the winters when the buses would turn around corners with iced over snow banks...

In all fairness, the only reason that the TTC was able to run the New Looks/Fishbowls for so long was because they bought so many retired ones from other transit agencies for parts (the mass purchase of retired Montreal Fishbowls comes to mind). Otherwise the parts supply would have dried up years ago.

HiVolt
Premium Member
Toronto, ON

HiVolt

Premium Member

said by corster:

In all fairness, the only reason that the TTC was able to run the New Looks/Fishbowls for so long was because they bought so many retired ones from other transit agencies for parts (the mass purchase of retired Montreal Fishbowls comes to mind). Otherwise the parts supply would have dried up years ago.

They also rebuilt a lot of them. They were mechanically simple and quite durable. I see a lot of the new low floor Orions broken down all over. I dont remember seeing that many of the old fishbowls or the new looks broken down vs the new orions.
LondonOntGuy
join:2004-05-12
London, ON

LondonOntGuy to Walter Dnes

to Walter Dnes
I remember the first low rider buses the LTC had, I think they were Novas and they were awful. The rear door was as far back as possible, beside it, two awkwardly placed seats. Between the rear wheel and doors, there was a single seat.

All those oddities could have been overlooked had it been for the fact that these buses weren't made for Canadian weather. They'd break down in the winter and leaked whenever it rained.

zacron
Premium Member
join:2008-11-26
Frozen Hoth

zacron to HiVolt

Premium Member

to HiVolt
said by HiVolt:

said by corster:

I was on the Farewell Ride for the GM Fishbowls. Amazing busses and NOTHING matches them. Period. goto »www.cptdb.ca for more info.

horsey
@eastlink.ca

horsey

Anon

said by zacron:

said by HiVolt:

said by corster:

I was on the Farewell Ride for the GM Fishbowls. Amazing busses and NOTHING matches them. Period. goto »www.cptdb.ca for more info.

thank you for that link
Walter Dnes
join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON

Walter Dnes

And one more thing I've noticed recently.
•Temperatures are hitting 30+ with a humidex around 40
•The air-conditioning in the bus is on
•But people are opening the windows!?!?!
WTF

ekster
Hi there
Premium Member
join:2010-07-16
Sainte-Anne-De-Bellevue, QC

ekster

Premium Member

Yeah, people don't realize that.

Montreal did a few surveys last year and tried out some new buses with air con... at first it horribly failed as everyone just kept opening the windows. A few months later, I saw the same buses, but they had locked shut the windows so no one could open any of them... what a difference! The bus was nice and cool. Unfortunately people were still trying to force the windows open even with stickers all over them saying they can't and the temperature being nice and cool in the bus. Some people just can't stop and think for a second, it seems.

milnoc
Ottawa

milnoc

Maybe they couldn't read the stickers.