join:2002-02-04
Woodstock, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·Rogers Hi-Speed
·Bright House
reply to peterboro

Re: [Rant] People standing in bus rear doorway (TTC)

said by peterboro:

Posting statements like that even if true will get you the racist label in here. Try to be a little more culturally sensitive from now on.

Man that could get you into all sorts of trouble. Imagine if someone started saying that cannibalism was a part of their culture. Would people just line up for it?

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable
reply to corster

said by corster:

TTC was able to push their fleet of 70's and 80's GM New Looks right up until the end of 2011, when they were retired not because of mechanical issues, but because they weren't accessible.

I have a friend who's a TTC driver for 20 years, and he said that the best buses were the GM fishbowls in terms of duarbility. He said the newer low floor buses were so fragile in the winter, the sides were made of soft aluminum and they would always get wrecked in the winters when the buses would turn around corners with iced over snow banks...
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

said by HiVolt:

said by corster:

TTC was able to push their fleet of 70's and 80's GM New Looks right up until the end of 2011, when they were retired not because of mechanical issues, but because they weren't accessible.

I have a friend who's a TTC driver for 20 years, and he said that the best buses were the GM fishbowls in terms of duarbility. He said the newer low floor buses were so fragile in the winter, the sides were made of soft aluminum and they would always get wrecked in the winters when the buses would turn around corners with iced over snow banks...

In all fairness, the only reason that the TTC was able to run the New Looks/Fishbowls for so long was because they bought so many retired ones from other transit agencies for parts (the mass purchase of retired Montreal Fishbowls comes to mind). Otherwise the parts supply would have dried up years ago.

HiVolt
Premium
join:2000-12-28
Toronto, ON
kudos:21
Reviews:
·TekSavvy DSL
·TekSavvy Cable

said by corster:

In all fairness, the only reason that the TTC was able to run the New Looks/Fishbowls for so long was because they bought so many retired ones from other transit agencies for parts (the mass purchase of retired Montreal Fishbowls comes to mind). Otherwise the parts supply would have dried up years ago.

They also rebuilt a lot of them. They were mechanically simple and quite durable. I see a lot of the new low floor Orions broken down all over. I dont remember seeing that many of the old fishbowls or the new looks broken down vs the new orions.
--
GO BLUE JAYS!

LondonOntGuy

join:2004-05-12
London, ON
reply to Walter Dnes

I remember the first low rider buses the LTC had, I think they were Novas and they were awful. The rear door was as far back as possible, beside it, two awkwardly placed seats. Between the rear wheel and doors, there was a single seat.

All those oddities could have been overlooked had it been for the fact that these buses weren't made for Canadian weather. They'd break down in the winter and leaked whenever it rained.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada
reply to HiVolt

said by HiVolt:

said by corster:

I was on the Farewell Ride for the GM Fishbowls. Amazing busses and NOTHING matches them. Period. goto »www.cptdb.ca for more info.
--
"Lord giveth but he also taketh away"

horsey

@eastlink.ca

said by zacron:

said by HiVolt:

said by corster:

I was on the Farewell Ride for the GM Fishbowls. Amazing busses and NOTHING matches them. Period. goto »www.cptdb.ca for more info.

thank you for that link

Walter Dnes

join:2008-01-27
Thornhill, ON
reply to Walter Dnes

And one more thing I've noticed recently.
•Temperatures are hitting 30+ with a humidex around 40
•The air-conditioning in the bus is on
•But people are opening the windows!?!?!
WTF

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3
Reviews:
·FreePhoneLine

Yeah, people don't realize that.

Montreal did a few surveys last year and tried out some new buses with air con... at first it horribly failed as everyone just kept opening the windows. A few months later, I saw the same buses, but they had locked shut the windows so no one could open any of them... what a difference! The bus was nice and cool. Unfortunately people were still trying to force the windows open even with stickers all over them saying they can't and the temperature being nice and cool in the bus. Some people just can't stop and think for a second, it seems.

milnoc

join:2001-03-05
H3B
kudos:2

Maybe they couldn't read the stickers.

MichelR

join:2011-07-03
Ottawa, ON
reply to ekster

Around here the bus drivers just ask people to shut the windows because the A/C is running. That would be followed by a few seconds of windows slamming shut.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to LondonOntGuy

Didn't they also have a small issue with fires as well? I vaguely remember a series of bus fires in the last few years. The older "new look" (fishbowl) buses seemed very strong, one destroyed the bridge on Richmond Street, and I recall another blowing through the wall of a building downtown. The later GM Classics never seemed to know which gear it was suppose to be in, at certain speeds they would continually shift up and down and lurch about.

Whatever stuff they are running now seems to be much louder as they pass by, I hate getting stuck beside one when the driver hits the throttle, it’s enough to blow out your ear drums if you have the windows down.

zacron
Premium
join:2008-11-26
canada

said by Thane_Bitter:

Didn't they also have a small issue with fires as well? I vaguely remember a series of bus fires in the last few years. The older "new look" (fishbowl) buses seemed very strong, one destroyed the bridge on Richmond Street, and I recall another blowing through the wall of a building downtown. The later GM Classics never seemed to know which gear it was suppose to be in, at certain speeds they would continually shift up and down and lurch about.

Whatever stuff they are running now seems to be much louder as they pass by, I hate getting stuck beside one when the driver hits the throttle, it’s enough to blow out your ear drums if you have the windows down.

That's what the point of a bus is... Make you jealous... you should be riding the GM Newlooks all the time, they really did have versatility as the key deciding factor in their designs... The new flyer's while they look nice, are complete crap. I want to see a SOLID, like Sumo Wrestler bus that isn't packed full of indigents and ne-r-do-wells in Hamilton THEN and ONLY THEN will I see the work of my tax dollars becoming a positive investment.
--
"Lord giveth but he also taketh away"
»www.speedtest.net/result/2102768148.png

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in
kudos:2

I remember when the TTC was testing the classic,no corporate colours, inside or out, really nice seats. Something tells me that Bus was really designed for intercity driving, not the rigour of city driving.

Thane_Bitter
Inquire within
Premium
join:2005-01-20
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico
reply to zacron

Do the New Flyers have "HUMPS" around the wheels and other odd places with less overall seating? If so I have seen the inside of one, they kind of look like some sort of bluish and grayish plastic play center for kids full of bars and rails and inclines. Everything is shapeless, cheap and plastic like a port-a-potty and the excessive rails, bars and posts almost imply that this bus was designed to do a series of barrel rolls during a collision (or before).

corster
Premium
join:2002-02-23
Gatineau, QC

1 edit

said by Thane_Bitter:

Do the New Flyers have "HUMPS" around the wheels and other odd places with less overall seating? If so I have seen the inside of one, they kind of look like some sort of bluish and grayish plastic play center for kids full of bars and rails and inclines. Everything is shapeless, cheap and plastic like a port-a-potty and the excessive rails, bars and posts almost imply that this bus was designed to do a series of barrel rolls during a collision (or before).

Pretty much every low-floor bus fits your description. Very likely that it was a New Flyer though, the New Flyer D40LF is probably the most common low floor bus on the road in Ontario (outside of Toronto and Ottawa, anyways)

ekster
Hi there
Premium
join:2010-07-16
Lachine, QC
kudos:3

Wow, that looks crowded. I prefer the Montreal buses a lot more.