uniqs
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad to ITALIAN926

Premium Member

to ITALIAN926

Re: Give up my copper phone line to upgrade to 75\25?

said by ITALIAN926:

lol@ Cablevision.

Good luck with that.

You have a generator, theres no need to have copper at all. Its ironic that you do hook up your generator, and consider moving to CV which will give you NO SERVICES during a power outage. But hey, youll have your copper landline working, and your lights.

In addition, the second DV line is just $10 a month unlimited calling, and you will pay way less taxes and fee's on it. Why you would keep a copper line is bizarre, especially when you have a generator.

Believe it or not Cablevision works better than Verizon after a big storm. Irene was a good example, as my folks in Muttontown had no phone service for a week & they are on copper POTS too. They also had no cable tv & internet from Cablevision but for only 3 days. Generator was working the whole time, so I had to take an Optimum Voice line they use for faxes and plug into phone system so they had phones. Directv worked fine during the interim for TV but when they had no phones at all, no cell service thanks to NIMBY folks, I then got them a satellite phone, in case there is next time. When the whole infrastructure is gone due to trees down all over the place good luck depending on any company's services. Generator w/satellite TV & satellite phone are your only bet when you have nothing else.
gadgetboyj
Premium Member
join:2009-08-25
Staten Island, NY

gadgetboyj

Premium Member

said by UofMiamiGrad:

Believe it or not Cablevision works better than Verizon after a big storm.

That depends on what parts of who's infrastructures sustain damage, as well as which areas the providers chose to restore service to first.

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

2 edits

ITALIAN926 to UofMiamiGrad

to UofMiamiGrad
quote:
Generator w/satellite TV & satellite phone are your only bet when you have nothing else.
Generator PLUS FiOS = ALL SERVICES WORKING IN HOUSE ( for a widespread or single outage )

miked112
@verizon.net

miked112

Anon

What's the basis for the assumption that Fios will work as long as you have local power? Because it's fair to assume that VZ have the same redundancy (or better) for the fiber infrastructure as the copper up to the CO...ups, generators etc. But I assume CV have that as well, and for both you're dependent on the resiliency of the last mile...in addition to the lines themselves (above ground in my neighborhood unfortunately) staying up, local repeaters etc. need to be powered, hence the post above re: CV bringing generators out to the pole.

If fiber doesn't require that - if power in the CO means that you are good all the way out to the ONT - then I agree with the posts above that argue that copper is largely redundant. But reading the variety of Irene experiences above it seems like it was just a matter of luck that Fios stayed up in my area while CV was down, and again, in that scenario it seems to me that POTS brings you a level of resiliency that FTTH and cable don't.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad to gadgetboyj

Premium Member

to gadgetboyj
said by gadgetboyj:

said by UofMiamiGrad:

Believe it or not Cablevision works better than Verizon after a big storm.

That depends on what parts of who's infrastructures sustain damage, as well as which areas the providers chose to restore service to first.

Well when all your services are above ground and a tropical storm or hurricane take trees down all over the place that snap telephone poles like toothpicks, let me know who's infrastructure sustains damage.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff to miked112

MVM,

to miked112
FiOS uses PON (Passive Optical Network). There's no powered equipment from CO to ONT. Everything is passive.

The CO has generators, so if you also have a generator, you'll get service.

That being said, Verizon's fiber lines can still be taken out (if aerial) during a storm. If that happens, the other poster is correct - Satellite is the only thing that will always work.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Yea, like those hurricane winds in question ( which are "snapping all the poles like twigs") dont rip Satellite Sails off roofs. LOL Cmon now.

Id trust FiOS over Satellite in a hurricane, god knows youre not getting Satellite signals anyway in such a storm.,,, if it does survive such winds.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Yea, like those hurricane winds in question ( which are "snapping all the poles like twigs") dont rip Satellite Sails off roofs. LOL Cmon now.

Id trust FiOS over Satellite in a hurricane, god knows youre not getting Satellite signals anyway in such a storm.,,, if it does survive such winds.

Keep touting how great FIOS is when the power is out all over the neighborhood and you have generator power. Doesn't matter one bit that the damn fiber is snapped all over the place in the town with cable & power company lines, none at all. Enjoy the blank TV, etc. Seen enough of that on this forum with the mid-atlantic derecho that blew through there. Keep your head in the sand, does wonders. Considering what tropical storm winds did here on Long Island with Irene last year, consider yourself lucky if FIOS & your utilities are delivered underground cause when the infrastructure is damaged severely, you are SOL even with a generator.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Listen man, if all of Great Neck loses power due to one electrical line coming down, your FiOS will continue to work in a power outage if you have a generator.

The Fiber lines are not wrapped around the electric lines themselves. "Keep touting "? I will.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Listen man, if all of Great Neck loses power due to one electrical line coming down, your FiOS will continue to work in a power outage if you have a generator.

The Fiber lines are not wrapped around the electric lines themselves. "Keep touting "? I will.

That's great but usually if a power line goes due to a storm it's because a tree was uprooted & took out everything between the poles. My services in my part of Great Neck are underground but many places in my village, on Long Island and elsewhere are not. So yeah if a transformer blows, no worries FIOS will work, as will cable with a generator at your residence. When a thunderstorm or tropical system take out trees left and right & your services are aerial, well then everyone is SOL with their services. One possible power outage cause is not standard across the board, i.e blown transformer vs. thunderstorm/tropical system w/trees down between telephone poles.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Youre talking about a minority of users, even in a hurricane. When the hurricane came through last year, and everyone lost power, like 90-95% of those FiOS subscribers came back online when power was restored. Anyone within that high percentage would have kept all services up the whole time if they had a generator.

VARTV
Robert Corbin VARTV
join:2003-06-11
Virginia Beach, VA

VARTV to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
+1