All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs

ITALIAN926
join:2003-08-16

2 edits

ITALIAN926 to UofMiamiGrad

to UofMiamiGrad

Re: Give up my copper phone line to upgrade to 75\25?

quote:
Generator w/satellite TV & satellite phone are your only bet when you have nothing else.
Generator PLUS FiOS = ALL SERVICES WORKING IN HOUSE ( for a widespread or single outage )

miked112
@verizon.net

miked112

Anon

What's the basis for the assumption that Fios will work as long as you have local power? Because it's fair to assume that VZ have the same redundancy (or better) for the fiber infrastructure as the copper up to the CO...ups, generators etc. But I assume CV have that as well, and for both you're dependent on the resiliency of the last mile...in addition to the lines themselves (above ground in my neighborhood unfortunately) staying up, local repeaters etc. need to be powered, hence the post above re: CV bringing generators out to the pole.

If fiber doesn't require that - if power in the CO means that you are good all the way out to the ONT - then I agree with the posts above that argue that copper is largely redundant. But reading the variety of Irene experiences above it seems like it was just a matter of luck that Fios stayed up in my area while CV was down, and again, in that scenario it seems to me that POTS brings you a level of resiliency that FTTH and cable don't.

Thinkdiff
MVM,
join:2001-08-07
Bronx, NY

Thinkdiff

MVM,

FiOS uses PON (Passive Optical Network). There's no powered equipment from CO to ONT. Everything is passive.

The CO has generators, so if you also have a generator, you'll get service.

That being said, Verizon's fiber lines can still be taken out (if aerial) during a storm. If that happens, the other poster is correct - Satellite is the only thing that will always work.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Yea, like those hurricane winds in question ( which are "snapping all the poles like twigs") dont rip Satellite Sails off roofs. LOL Cmon now.

Id trust FiOS over Satellite in a hurricane, god knows youre not getting Satellite signals anyway in such a storm.,,, if it does survive such winds.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Yea, like those hurricane winds in question ( which are "snapping all the poles like twigs") dont rip Satellite Sails off roofs. LOL Cmon now.

Id trust FiOS over Satellite in a hurricane, god knows youre not getting Satellite signals anyway in such a storm.,,, if it does survive such winds.

Keep touting how great FIOS is when the power is out all over the neighborhood and you have generator power. Doesn't matter one bit that the damn fiber is snapped all over the place in the town with cable & power company lines, none at all. Enjoy the blank TV, etc. Seen enough of that on this forum with the mid-atlantic derecho that blew through there. Keep your head in the sand, does wonders. Considering what tropical storm winds did here on Long Island with Irene last year, consider yourself lucky if FIOS & your utilities are delivered underground cause when the infrastructure is damaged severely, you are SOL even with a generator.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Listen man, if all of Great Neck loses power due to one electrical line coming down, your FiOS will continue to work in a power outage if you have a generator.

The Fiber lines are not wrapped around the electric lines themselves. "Keep touting "? I will.
UofMiamiGrad
Premium Member
join:2001-02-03
Syosset, NY

UofMiamiGrad

Premium Member

said by ITALIAN926:

Listen man, if all of Great Neck loses power due to one electrical line coming down, your FiOS will continue to work in a power outage if you have a generator.

The Fiber lines are not wrapped around the electric lines themselves. "Keep touting "? I will.

That's great but usually if a power line goes due to a storm it's because a tree was uprooted & took out everything between the poles. My services in my part of Great Neck are underground but many places in my village, on Long Island and elsewhere are not. So yeah if a transformer blows, no worries FIOS will work, as will cable with a generator at your residence. When a thunderstorm or tropical system take out trees left and right & your services are aerial, well then everyone is SOL with their services. One possible power outage cause is not standard across the board, i.e blown transformer vs. thunderstorm/tropical system w/trees down between telephone poles.

ITALIAN926

ITALIAN926

Youre talking about a minority of users, even in a hurricane. When the hurricane came through last year, and everyone lost power, like 90-95% of those FiOS subscribers came back online when power was restored. Anyone within that high percentage would have kept all services up the whole time if they had a generator.

VARTV
Robert Corbin VARTV
join:2003-06-11
Virginia Beach, VA

VARTV to ITALIAN926

to ITALIAN926
+1