Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru

Re: Almost about time to upgrade the PS3 hdd

If you can swing it, try to get one of the momentus XT hybrid hard drives. It should give a modest speed-up, particularly if you come back fairly regularly to any disk-intensive games.

I would say go full SSD, but a ps3 simply wouldn't be able to use all the extra speed of one. The power savings would be measurable, but... not worth the significant rise in cost per GB if you need a lot of storage.

Subaru
1-3-2-4
Premium Member
join:2001-05-31
Greenwich, CT

Subaru

Premium Member

yep I thought about SSD but I saw a test did on it I think it was late last year and it's not really worth it at all.. I think the only fastest speeds that you could tell was deleting games.

Hmmm I've been thinking maybe 500 GB That should hold me over for a good long while.

WK2
Premium Member
join:2006-12-28
united state

WK2

Premium Member

About a year ago I bought a WD 7200RPM 500GB HDD and it works great

Dejavu
Game Misconduct
Mod
join:2002-09-11
Ishpeming, MI

Dejavu

Mod

its really easy to copy the info from the smaller drive onto the larger one when you decide to do it.

Goggalor
Psychonaut
Premium Member
join:2009-06-09
Your Mind!

Goggalor

Premium Member

Do you think you'll use all of the 500GB? If not, try just stepping up to a 320GB and save a little bit of money.

C0deZer0
Oc'D To Rhythm And Police
Premium Member
join:2001-10-03
Tempe, AZ

C0deZer0 to Subaru

Premium Member

to Subaru
said by Subaru:

yep I thought about SSD but I saw a test did on it I think it was late last year and it's not really worth it at all.. I think the only fastest speeds that you could tell was deleting games.

Hmmm I've been thinking maybe 500 GB That should hold me over for a good long while.

SSD would show its best on ps3 if you were playing a lot of games from the internal hard drive, or if it's a game that uses the hard drive of the ps3 a lot... GT5 in particular.

But how much the internal hard drive on a ps3 is used is dependent entirely on the maker of the game. Some do some very careful streaming of data from the disc at a constant rate, so the hard drive hardly gets used in those cases, and you wouldn't see much of any improvement there.

Install/delete times notably get shortened too. But again, it doesn't make sense to spend the money on a SATA III SSD because the ps3's internal interface is (IIRC) still SATA I. So a max of 150~MB/s anyway.

The bigger benefit with regard to a ps3 is the power savings, if you were that worried about how much energy it uses... or how hot the system runs.