spc
Search similar:

uniqs

shapiror06
@rr.com

shapiror06

Anon

Regular N450 router, or dual band? Roku doesn't support 5GHz

So I need a faster router for streaming local high-definition media from my computer to my Roku 2 XD. It does NOT support the 5GHz wireless N frequency, and it does NOT have an ethernet port. So, should I get a basic N450 router which is a single 2.4GHz channel wireless N router with speeds up to 450mbps, or should I invest in a dual-band simultaneous router that can simultaneously broadcast separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks, each at 450mbps (N900)?

Since the Roku 2 XD does not support 5GHz, I think a dual-band router would be a waste of money. Seeing as I can get a basic N450 router in the ~$25 range.
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

Well if plan on adding new wireless clients (notebooks etc.) then having dual band would be useful as new clients may support 5GHz band. However if all you plan on using it for is the Roku then there really any point in getting the dual band AP.

Shapiror06
@myvzw.com

Shapiror06

Anon

That's about what I was thinking.

One more question... Even though the Roku doesn't support 5ghz WiFi, can it still connect to that network, just not take full advantage of 5ghz wireless n?
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

said by Shapiror06 :

One more question... Even though the Roku doesn't support 5ghz WiFi, can it still connect to that network, just not take full advantage of 5ghz wireless n?

Yes, dual band routers operate as two separate wireless connections one on the 2.4GHz band the other on 5GHz. Even if you have a client that supports both bands it would only connect only on one band at a time.

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2 to Shapiror06

MVM

to Shapiror06
said by Shapiror06 :

Yes, because essentially you will be running two networks, a 2.4ghz, and a 5ghz network. Some router se-ups will by default combine them with one SSID, but they are still in effect separate connections.

The Roku XD really does not require a very fast connection at all to stream HD content. I used to do just fine with my 6Mbps down dsl connection which at one time ran through an 11g router. Netflix does not demand all that robust a connection to stream well.

However, folks really are running more and more stuff on their home networks, phones, media, networked storage, and so on. If one is in the market for a new router, I always recommend a dual band model, that is at least "middle of the pack" or better of a given manufacturer's offerings.

Cheapie routers are generally cheap for a reason...

Shapiror06
@myvzw.com

Shapiror06

Anon

Im good with streaming from the Internet. It has to continually buffer only when I'm streaming local media in high definition from my pc to the Roku.

PGHammer
join:2003-06-09
Accokeek, MD

1 recommendation

PGHammer to PeteC2

to PeteC2
Dual-band has fallen below $100USD - even with all-gigabit ports - and I am specifically referring to midrange routers (Belkin's F9K-110x, Netgear's WNDR3700, Western Digital's MyNet 750).

PeteC2
Got Mouse?
MVM
join:2002-01-20
Bristol, CT

PeteC2

MVM

said by PGHammer:

Dual-band has fallen below $100USD - even with all-gigabit ports - and I am specifically referring to midrange routers (Belkin's F9K-110x, Netgear's WNDR3700, Western Digital's MyNet 750).

Yep, I absolutely agree with that. When I say "cheapie" routers, I am really referring to the bottom-tier offerings from any of the major manufacturers. Most mid-pack and up routers would do just fine.