how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Daniel8802

join:2004-07-09
Sewell, NJ

[Equipment] Unlocked SIII

Im looking to pick up an unlocked galaxy SIII on Verizon but after some research it seems like the international version will not work. What should I specifically be looking for in an unlocked SIII for Verizon? Thanks!

gdm
Premium,MVM
join:2001-06-15
Mchenry, IL
kudos:3
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

What do you mean unlocked? Remember each of the US carriers use different LTE so its not like you can go carrier to carrier. If you mean for international use its not enabled yet. A software update will be needed to use the GSM part and then you can stick a SIM card in when traveling internationally.

Daniel8802

Sewell, NJ

I won't be traveling internationally but in stead I just need to buy a no contract SIII that is Verizon ready
--
Rigel Astronomy

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL

You can buy it from Verizon and is reall, your only choice. You'll pay the unsubsidized price.

Daniel8802

Sewell, NJ

I can't buy it from any place online? Like if I got the quadband version or anything ?
--
Rigel Astronomy

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

You could buy it from wirefly, amazon, etc. when they get them in. If you don't get the Verizon one it won't work on the Verizon network. Remember Spring, US Cellular and Verizon are all CDMA most of the world uses GSM with some countries using CDMA. Not all CDMA operate at the same frequency.

Not sure why you don't want to buy it from Verizon directly.

Daniel8802

Sewell, NJ

So if I buy this it won't work with verizon, right?

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL

Correct. The Verizon has a model i-535 for the Verizon model.

Daniel8802

Sewell, NJ
reply to Daniel8802

Now just to jump ship if I say I go with i9300 on AT&T will that give me the full AT&T network speeds?
--
Rigel Astronomy

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL
Reviews:
·AT&T U-Verse

You'd have to look it will give some AT&T but not the new LTE. Everyone thought going to LTE would make things more standardized but the providers all have different frequencies now so it's not standard across the board.

You'll get 3G/Edge for sure and maybe HSPA+

Daniel8802

Sewell, NJ
reply to Daniel8802

I'm so confused from this process haha! So if I bought the i9300 unlocked international version what speeds would I be looking at with the end of the day, or would it work at all? (on verizon that is)
--
Rigel Astronomy

gdm
Premium,MVM
Mchenry, IL

I don't think that version will work on Verizon at all. Plus you'd need a micro SIM to register the device.

mromero
Premium
join:2000-12-07
The O.C.
kudos:1
reply to Daniel8802

if you want the unlocked verizon version you need to return the one you bought and wait until Samsung sells the unlocked version.

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/···verizon/

ydoucare

join:2003-03-12
Lafayette, IN
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

said by mromero:

if you want the unlocked verizon version you need to return the one you bought and wait until Samsung sells the unlocked version.

»arstechnica.com/gadgets/2012/07/···verizon/

He's not talking about the bootloader.