uniqs
share rss forum feed

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
reply to CylonRed

Re: [hard drive] New SATA hard drive and XP SP3....

Get something which you can hopefully return if it doesn't solve the problem. Sadly if I had a spare PSU I would send you it for testing!

As for the CDROM (sounds like you have a SATA CD/DVD like I do), it may be that it works because, for example, it might only use the 12V wire.

Do you have a digital camera? Some photos of the Molex-to-SATA-power adapter would be helpful. I'd be looking for photos of the Molex end (specifically the pins) and a "general" photo showing the wires which go from the Molex connector to the SATA power connector.

Naturally I can't do much (remotely) regarding checking the PSU to see if the Molex power connector you're using actually sends 12V, 5V, and 3.3V up the wires.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

CylonRed
Premium,MVM
join:2000-07-06
Bloom County
Click for full size
Click for full size
The cdrom drive for both of our pcs are IDE - I did not convert everything to SATA yet...

Pics of the pins and wires on the molex attached.
--
Brian

"It drops into your stomach like a Abrams's tank.... driven by Rosanne Barr..." A. Bourdain

koitsu
Premium,MVM
join:2002-07-16
Mountain View, CA
kudos:23
Thanks -- standard 4-pin Molex indeed. All it provides is +12V (yellow) and +5V (red). Both black wires are ground. No 3.3V, but that's not necessarily damning. I wonder if that Seagate drive uses 3.3V for the underlying PCB circuitry (e.g. processor that controls the chip that controls the spindle motor) while using 12V or 5V for the motor itself.

This problem is very strange. I'm adding it to my list of "weird mysteries" that I don't have an immediate answer for. I wish I could say with 100% certain a different PSU will solve your problem, but with the information I have (not your fault!) I can't say that for sure.
--
Making life hard for others since 1977.
I speak for myself and not my employer/affiliates of my employer.

bbear2
Premium
join:2003-10-06
kudos:5
reply to CylonRed
Looking up your drive ST500DM002 it appears (per the seagate specs: »www.seagate.com/internal-hard-dr···500DM002) that this drive does not use the 3.3V line; only the 5 and 12.