All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
uniqs
Ventile
join:2012-07-08
Montreal, QC

Ventile to patandjudy

to patandjudy

Re: [Internet] Internet usage up 200% since upgrade to Fibe 25?

We ran into the same problem. Last month we had an overcharge of 80$. We immediately checked the Internet usage on the bell site and were shocked to see that we were exceeding our monthly usage even for the next billing cycle. So we bought extra 50Gb in addition to our 60 Gb. But they burnt up so fast and we are at 150Gb now. We installed net meters on all our computers and turned off the wifi. We changed all of the modem passwords. No change. Our net meters showed max 1Gb a day and yet Bell would count up to sometimes even 10 Gb a day. We then refrained from using the Internet for 24hours. But still the Bell tracker counted 3.5Gb. Bell tried to pin it down on Netflix, p2p....even though we told them we were not online. We then turned off our modem completely and disconnected all our wires for 24h starting at midnight. It is the most reliable way to check if the Bell Internet usage on their site is fraudulent. Bell showed a usage of 3 Gb that day. After our third complaint they launched an investigation and apparently found that our br1 ID had been assigned to another Bell user at the same time, which resulted in their Internetusage being added on to ours. I still have numerous questions for them and will be asking for compensation tomorrow.

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

They assigned the same b1 and password to another user at the same time?? I wonder how that's possible... the password is "supposed" to be randomly generated with each new account.

It's also possible someone got in your router / house and copied the login, or someone from your family got phished into giving it away not knowing the consequences...
HeadSpinning
MNSi Internet
join:2005-05-29
Windsor, ON

HeadSpinning

I wonder how careful Bell is to wipe clean the b1 username from returned equipment. I assume they are...

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to Ventile

Premium Member

to Ventile
said by Ventile:

We then turned off our modem completely and disconnected all our wires for 24h starting at midnight. It is the most reliable way to check if the Bell Internet usage on their site is fraudulent. Bell showed a usage of 3 Gb that day. After our third complaint they launched an investigation and apparently found that our br1 ID had been assigned to another Bell user at the same time, which resulted in their Internet usage being added on to ours. I still have numerous questions for them and will be asking for compensation tomorrow.

Remember they are reading a script and the first line on the script is "The Customer is always wrong".

Also if you've gone past 90 days, Bell will not provide compensation/credit, see first line in the script.
Calmuser
Calmuser
join:2011-10-27
Canada

Calmuser to HeadSpinning

to HeadSpinning
people trust bell to clean out their info on their returned modems?

I always factory reset mine before returning, just to be safe!
Ventile
join:2012-07-08
Montreal, QC

Ventile to BliZZardX

to BliZZardX
Bell only assigned the same B1 number to a nother client not the same password. They had their own password and their own modem. Nobody would have been able to use our login passwords because we kept changing them repeatedly and would not write them down or save them anywhere. Just the fact that it happened for two clients two have the same ID login without Bell noticing even when they double checked their system after we complained initially I find very concerning. That means there could be other clients out there that are constantly being over charged. Again I would recommend to anyone who is doubting the Bell tracker to disconnect the modem completely for a day.
RickStep
Premium Member
join:2002-11-25
Hamilton, ON

RickStep to BliZZardX

Premium Member

to BliZZardX
said by BliZZardX:

They assigned the same b1 and password to another user at the same time?? I wonder how that's possible... the password is "supposed" to be randomly generated with each new account.

It's also possible someone got in your router / house and copied the login, or someone from your family got phished into giving it away not knowing the consequences...

The issue is not about 1, 2 or 3 issues of a b1; it is about the fact that Bell Canada seems to have NOT prevented multiple logins against b1xxxxxx.

I Live in Hamilton, ON with my wife. In 2007 I took a job in Chalk River, ON to work on the manufacture of radiation detection devices and found a place to live in DEEP River. I came back to Hamilton about 1 week in 3. My home is Hamilton, ON.

The day I ordered the phone and Internet service from my employer's phone in Chalk River, the power failed before the transaction completed. The rules are simple; if the transaction does not complete, the transaction is void. It took 2 - 3 days to sort things out because the transaction wasnt voided but a new phone number was applied and the original b1xxxxxx and password was axed and replaced; however; the Internet was active but I hadnt received the mailed package from Bell. I tried my Hamilton, ON b1xxxxxx and password to login and it worked.

Over the next few days I sorted out the proper phone number and Internet b1xxxxxx and password for Deep River.

It wasn't until I moved back to Hamilton in 2008 that I realized that I had used my Hamilton login in Deep River for about 18 months and Bell didn't complain.

Subsequent to that a neighbour got married and sold her house and moved to Brampton. I get home from work a couple of weeks later and my wife tells me that our former neighbour dropped off some Bell equipment. A couple of weeks later I connect my neighbours modem to my phone line and it logs into the Internet, 30 days after she closes her Bell account and moves in with her new husband 50km from here.

Bell is an issue here. Bell modems are being traded or sold; logins are being acquired or stolen; and are allowed to connect to a phone line number that was never the registered phone number when Bell initiated the service and Bell is not correcting the issue.

No b1xxxxxx should be allowed to connect if the phone number on the line is different from when the service was activated or a requested move required a number change.

Unless Bell has fixed this issue; any b1xxxxxx can be used from at least 2 and probably more circuits, across various area codes.

In 2007/2008 my Hamilton area code is 905, my Deep River area code was 613.

Rick

BliZZardX
Premium Member
join:2002-08-18
Toronto, ON
·Bell Fibe Internet

BliZZardX

Premium Member

Your former neighbour droppped their modem off for you to return it to Bell right? Bell give a really short return time window, something like 5 business days. Then it's supposed to be factory reset and repackaged for another customer. I guess she got charged full price for keeping it, but there's no logical reason a customer's login would work that many days after cancelling.

If she requested a move, maybe they "suspended" her account. When they suspend service they might only turn off the DSLAM port, and the login still works, so if you have another address with an active port you can use it there.

The b1 system predates DSL back to the dial up days, Bell never changed to dhcp because there weren't any reasons to justify it. But now they started usage caps on everyone accountability is a concern. I wouldn't say nothing is being done. Someone posted they are using DHCP to multicast IPTV on the 7330 platform. If caps exist 4 life chances are that will make its way to internet service too.

Bell can take steps to marginalize or eliminate issues you're taking about. MAC auth like the cable systems use isn't a holy grail though, that can be taken advantage of by using cloned modem on different headends. And similar to the Bell login scenario, the clonerer would need physical access to a customers modem.