Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12

1 recommendation

[BF3] EVGA card freezing? possible fix

Just wanted to share that my EVGA GTX 580 has been freezing up (green artifacts) in BF3 under ForceWare 301.42. I'm at what I think are stock speeds--772 MHz core, 1544 MHz shaders, 2004 MHz memory.

I upped my voltage slight in Afterburner, from 1.025v to 1.05v and the crashing stopped.

I've also had freezes in Deus Ex (a lot under DX11) and I wonder if it was also due to voltage. It's possible that EVGA has set the stock voltage slightly too low to support intensive gaming. What's odd about the BF3 crashes is that the GPU was 100% solid under Furmark/OCCT GPU testing, but would still freeze in-game.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN

If you are having it happen in multiple games, it may be a heat issue instead. Open your case and double check to make sure your fan is spinning freely and if it's been a while, pulling the card and giving it a good cleaning might not be bad thing either.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Yeah I've reseated it, done a clean install on the drivers, and regularly have blown my case out. So I'm guessing it was the voltage. I'm curious if it's a GTX 580 thing or an EVGA thing.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

ken225

join:2003-11-22
Brunswick, OH

For what it's worth, I have an EVGA 580 and have not had lockups or freezes in Deus Ex.

Dissembled

join:2008-01-23
Indianapolis, IN
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

regularly have blown my case out.

Not to beat a dead horse, but take a minute to actually watch your fan while you're in-game. I wouldn't keep on it if I didn't have personal experience. Took me forever to troubleshoot and figure it out when it happened to me.

Ghastlyone
Premium
join:2009-01-07
Las Vegas, NV
kudos:5
reply to Krisnatharok

Something seems weird, that the voltage on such a low stock clock would make a difference.

1.02v should be plenty for that core clock.

Mister_E

join:2004-04-02
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·Bell Sympatico

2 edits
reply to Krisnatharok

I had random lockups/freezes with Deus Ex: HR as well with my factory overclocked MSI GTX 570 under DX11. Bear in mind, I've had ZERO issues with any of my other games I had been playing (Civ V, Portal 2, Mass Effect 1/2, GTA IV, Bioshock 2, etc.)

A quick search on Google will generate plenty of hits with people encountering similar issues. You'll find more of the same in the Official Eidos Deus Ex: HR forums.

Also, both nVidia and AMD users are encountering the issues.

Solutions varied from setting overclocked cards to factory speeds, adjusting GPU voltage, adjusting CPU overclocks and voltages, running in DX9 (and taking an image quality and performance hit), drivers, etc.

For me, I ended up running my GTX 570 at stock speeds and upped my CPU vcore slightly (I am overclocked) and was able to (thankfully) finish the game without further incident after applying those changes.

Further to that, there had been firmware updates for various nVidia cards that did adjust default voltages.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Yeah, DE:HR always crashed in DX11 mode, but did fine in DX9. I don't think I should have to make that compromise...

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to Mister_E

So my freezes in DE:HR are completely gone.

When I restarted, the GPU went back to stock voltages and it froze within about 10 minutes of gameplay in BF3. Setting the voltage back to 1.05 fixed it.
--

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
reply to Krisnatharok

My 3DFX card was doing the same thing. Can you believe it didn't have a fan at all??? I mean, who makes a titan of a card like the VooDoo 3 and doesn't install a fan???? THE EFF!?

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

How are those AGP graphics? You and Dude111 need to get a room.

Phantasee

join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA
Reviews:
·Charter

said by Krisnatharok:

How are those AGP graphics? You and Dude111 need to get a room.

I wish it was AGP. It's PCI. Overheats every time I kill rats on Everquest. That game's demanding!

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX
kudos:3
reply to Krisnatharok

Downgrade the video driver

I upgraded to 301 not long ago and suddenly the WEI test would stop responding, downgrading the the 297 (IIRC) that I had upgraded from fixed it.

Windows saw my EVGA GTX570 as being suddenly a differant GTX570 and wanted me to re-run the WEI so I figured I'd make sure that it still scored a 7.9, after the first not responding I figured maybe it was the slight OC so I droped it from 800/2000 back to stock and it still froze (btw I have the video card fan at 85% (the highest the evga software will let me set the minimum speed)

So I think theres some issue with the 301 driver

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

My card is not OC'd at all. I will try down-grading and see if I can run BF3 and DE:HR at stock voltage--however the card behaves the exact same way under stock voltage *every time* (green artifacts and crashing) in BF3 (any settings) and DE:HR (DX11 only).

I may head over to EVGA's forums and let them know as they may need to come out with a BIOS update for the GTX 580.
--

pizz
bye bye twc. hello Comcast.
Premium
join:2000-10-27
Astoria, NY
reply to Krisnatharok

thanks for this tip, it worked for my GTX 680

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok

So Kris did reverting the driver help?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

i had to do the same thing with my 460, that driver shits all over alot of cards for some reason.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

So Kris did reverting the driver help?

Yes it did, at least in BF3. I rolled back to the 296.xx drivers and can play BF3 without freezing at stock voltage (1.025v).

I haven't tried DE:HR yet, but will report back and let you know if it plays nice under DX11.

Right now it sounds like 301.42 doesn't play nice with my card.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

I wonder I mean its not like EVGA changes the GPU.
and I had the problems even if I went back to stock (or as shipped) setting and my GPU fan is set as fast as it can be (so heat shouldn't be an issue)

to add to heat not being an issue, the ambiant room temp was 64f, the case has positive pressure (from 3x 120's on the front blowing in) and I've looked and no dust.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

I know it's not heat because I can load the GPU under Furmark without a problem and have the usage and temps skyrocket past what any game uses.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Ya so I think nvidia is at fault not the card makers.

I wonder if they somehow enabled a feature that the GPU has locked out?

BonezX
Basement Dweller
Premium
join:2004-04-13
Canada
kudos:1

it was something funky with the driver in general, it would report 3d clock-rates, but would be running 2d, and not switching properly back and forth, mine would go to 2d clock rates and get stuck there no matter what i was doing.

Hallo lisa Aus Amerika
Premium
join:2001-08-31
Byron, GA
reply to Krisnatharok

said by Krisnatharok:

Yeah I've reseated it, done a clean install on the drivers, and regularly have blown my case out. So I'm guessing it was the voltage. I'm curious if it's a GTX 580 thing or an EVGA thing.

I have the EVGA GTX 570 and use the Drivers from Oct 24 2011 it was freezing then BF3 is a poorly optimized game.
--
Support
»www.minutemanproject.com/

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX
reply to Krisnatharok

I think tonight I'll upgrade from 280 to 296 and see if WoW5 is happier.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

WOW5 DX11 is happier now with the firmware update from »www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1···&mpage=1

join:2012-07-26
reply to Krisnatharok

nice post and very informational

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit
reply to DarkLogix

said by DarkLogix:

WOW5 DX11 is happier now with the firmware update from »www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?&m=1···&mpage=1

I just did the same FW update. Running 306 beta drivers without issue.
--

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

Well my WOW5 DX11 issue is gone but on going to diver 296 the WEI crash is there.

tonight I'll revert the driver to the one just before 296 and see how it does.

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
Earth Orbit

Did you try the 306 drivers (beta)?

I'm not sure what a diver 296 WEI crash is...

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium
Baytown, TX

296 the driver version from nvidia.

I'm weary to try a beta driver.

The 296 driver crashed on me just like the 301 did, when running the windows experience index.

But other than WEI the firmware update fixed actuall use crashes. (ie I can enable WOW's DX11 and it didn't crash even after hours, so its good)