--
Getting it Done.

boatman1

join:2005-06-02
Rockaway Beach, MO
reply to elios

Ive been to this field once for a helio test & tune one time
i've never been back because of the politics

I wish all the luck of you getting this fixed soon.
it is a nice field

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO

how long ago
im the heli guy at the field now
we'ed love to have you have you back

pende_tim
Premium
join:2004-01-04
Andover, NJ
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to elios

Have you thought about making a sheet metal "plate" to cover the crack?
If you get a strip of 16-18Ga galvanized steel about 8" wide and however long and lay it over the crack and fasten it down with a good calk the planes should roll over it with no issue.
The 8" of course would straddle the crack, 4" on either side, and since 8' is a common length, 5 pieces should cover the 40' width.

Sheet metal should be strong enough for any reasonable load, except full size aircraft. This method would have the advantage of allowing the crack to expand and contract due to temperature changes on the pavement.

I have a similar crack in my driveway where two sections of pavement join. Over the years I have tried everything I can think of to repair and stabilize the crack. No luck. Of course since I drive cars over my pavement, a sheet metal bridge would not work.
--
The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits.

elios

Springfield, MO

hmm i like this idea ill run it by my club next meeting
most models are under 50lbs even the big 1/3 scale stuff

is there any easy way the plate could be put grade to the surface?

the issue is mostly jets that need long take offs in the summer and long roll outs but have small wheels for there size

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

16 gauge sheet metal is 1/8" thick so you would have to figure out a way to recess it smoothly. Sheet metal comes 10' lengths.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

If 0.059" is too big a bump, go with 22 or 24 ga. It does not have to support any serious weight, just stay flat.

Heck, I bet there is more than 1/16" in surface imperfections on the asphalt on the good part of the runway.

It may be possible to get the shop that shears it to hit it with a sander and break the edge so it has a little more lead in and smoother on the tires.
--

elios

Springfield, MO

could a new surface be put on top of the whole thing + the metal sheet?

robbin
Premium,MVM
join:2000-09-21
Leander, TX

Basically that is an expansion crack. It is going to enlarge and contract with temperature.

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast

1 edit
reply to robbin

said by robbin:

16 gauge sheet metal is 1/8" thick so you would have to figure out a way to recess it smoothly. Sheet metal comes 10' lengths.

Actually I believe 16 ga is about 1/16" thick or, as per ASTM A 569, 0.059. Galvanized, ASTM A 526, is a little thicker being about 0.0635".
--

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to elios

This is very strange for a purely expansion crack. Too straight and perpendicular to the long axis of the runway and seems to be right in the middle. By any chance, is there a concrete base deep beneath the asphalt and could that be a construction joint of such concrete base? If that is the case you will need to stabilize this joint first before atempting anything.

elios

Springfield, MO

as far as i know they just dumped the asphalt right on the dirt
but id have to ask the older guys in the club

The Pig
I know you want to be me
Premium
join:2009-09-11
reply to elios

buy some asphalt (hardware store) and rent a plate compactor!

printscreen

join:2003-11-01
Juana Diaz, PR
Reviews:
·Choice Cable TV
·Coqui/PRTC
reply to elios

said by elios:

as far as i know they just dumped the asphalt right on the dirt
but id have to ask the older guys in the club

I suggest you dig right next to the asphalt in the cracked part to see what's underneath and how deep it goes. It may help explain the origin of the crack which looks unusual in what otherwise seems to be good pavement from the looks on the video and the aerial view in Google Maps. If you don't know the origin of the crack and how to stabilize or eliminate it nothing you do will solve the problem permanently.

I also considered it could be a fault line but in the aerial view I cannot see any similar cracks in nearby roadways.

Pacrat
Old and Cranky
Premium,MVM
join:2001-03-10
Cortland, OH
kudos:2
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
reply to elios

Considering the heat-spell we've been experiencing, it might be thermal expansion that is causing the crack. Rent a diamond saw, cut out the cracked section and repave just that area. It's a runway for model R/C aircraft, not a load-bearing highway. Cut it straight across, remove 3-4" of the asphalt, and Quickcrete the remaining gap, or use "cold patch" and tamp it in evenly. You're just trying to restore a smooth surface... not bringing it up to highway construction codes.
--
Keep your eye on the ball, your shoulder to the wheel, your nose to the grindstone, and your ear to the ground. Now, try to work in that position!!!

elios

Springfield, MO

that crack is not new its been an issue for years from what i hear

pende_tim
Premium
Andover, NJ
Reviews:
·Comcast
reply to Pacrat

I have a similar crack in my driveway where I stopped paving and resumed a year later.
When the driveway was completed the following year, the contractor cut the end of last years job, applied tack oil, and started paving again.

All was well for a year then due to this being a weak spot and the heating/cooling/expanding/contracting a crack opened up in a year or so.

The problem with continuing an asphalt paving job after a delay is that the edges never knit into a monolith like the original hot rolled section.

I suspect this may have been what happened here. Half of the runway was paved and rolled and a while later after the first section cured, the rest was done. The second section did not knit to the first piece and over time, the crack has grown.

In any case, the chances of repairing this crack permanently are slim to none unless you can get a 100% bond between the sections which with set asphalt is not possible.

You can fill it and it will be good for a few months, but once heat/cold causes the asphalt to expand/contract it will open up again.

Put a bridge plate over the gap and enjoy the runway.

Tim
--