uniqs

Oregonian
Premium Member
join:2000-12-21
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

[WIN7] Windows 7 SP2?

Microsoft has been very quiet lately regarding whether we will see SP2 for Windows 7. I'm guessing that we may never see it as they are concentrating on Windows 8. Anybody else have any information on Windows 7 SP2 availability / release?

markofmayhem
Why not now?
Premium Member
join:2004-04-08
Pittsburgh, PA

1 recommendation

markofmayhem

Premium Member

Looks as if most rumors place it at H1Y2013 with a beta around November of this year. May be nothing more than a roll-up with IE10.

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

Thanks. Most of the chatter I have been seeing was saying H1 2012. I'm just wondering if we will ever see SP2 for Win 7?

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross to Oregonian

MVM

to Oregonian
NT4 = SP6
2K = SP4
XP = SP3
Vista = SP2
7 = SP1
8 = SP0

I think with broadband connections and Windows Update being more and more common, SP's will disappear. To be honest, I consider Win7 to be Vista SP3!

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

said by andyross:

I think with broadband connections and Windows Update being more and more common, SP's will disappear. To be honest, I consider Win7 to be Vista SP3!

But it is nice to have SP's when it comes time to reinstall the OS. Admittedly not something that we have to do very often.

andyross
MVM
join:2003-05-04
Aurora, IL

1 recommendation

andyross

MVM

But how much longer will we even have physical media? Even the install will probably be via broadband. You'd have nothing but a basic boot device that could set up network access to download the necessary files.

As it is, how do you install an OS on many of the newer computers that have no optical drive?

Oregonian
Premium Member
West Linn, OR

Oregonian

Premium Member

said by andyross:

But how much longer will we even have physical media? Even the install will probably be via broadband. You'd have nothing but a basic boot device that could set up network access to download the necessary files.

As it is, how do you install an OS on many of the newer computers that have no optical drive?

That's a good question for which I have no answer. I have not tried to install an OS on a computer with no optical drive.
dave
Premium Member
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio

dave to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

Boot from USB stick.

»technet.microsoft.com/en ··· ick.aspx
OZO
Premium Member
join:2003-01-17

OZO to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

Not from the network (or the cloud), I can assure you
Of course form some USB/flash drive. Check your computer for that option.
Razzy
join:2012-06-21

Razzy to andyross

to andyross
You use one of these.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to andyross

Premium Member

to andyross
said by andyross:

Flash drive
also an autocad suite that was bought recently came on a flash drive

so as long as you call a flash drive physical media then its not going away.

sbconslt
join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA

sbconslt to andyross

to andyross
To take it a few steps farther into the future: client devices will have and need no local storage besides bootstrap. Everything you now think of as "filesystem contents" will be distributed, possibly in free volatile memory in nearby devices. That and of course in gigantic underground caves of server racks.