Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Melissa2009B

join:2009-12-27
Denver, CO

2 edits

Need a cordless phone system with greeting and ring-through

We need a 1-line cordless phone system that can answer with a greeting, tell people to press an extension number from 0-99, and then ring-through to all the phones in the house at once. This is for a home business where we want to use it to filter out spam sales calls.

Does anyone make such a system?

Did I mention; "not too expensive"? The Panasonic 5 phone cordless systems seem to run in the $135 range at Amazon.com, but I don't think they have this. ( yet it wouldn't require sophisticated hardware or anything - just firmware, right? )

I called a couple of online places and they all want to sell me $10,000 multi-line business "systems". Please...
We have a little part time home base business with just the two of us.

lugnut

@look.ca

Here's a couple of thoughts.

1) Why not just spend the money and get a second line for your business?

2) If that's too pricey for you, subscribe to a distinctive ring service from your phone company that allows two incoming numbers on the same line with different distinctive rings for each number. I use such a service for my fax line and it only costs me an extra $5 a month.

neonturbo

join:2009-02-27
Lansing, MI
reply to Melissa2009B

I am guessing what they are looking for is: if someone does NOT press any key on the phone keypad that it will not complete the call.

Most of those robo-calls cannot (or do not) do this.

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

said by neonturbo:

I am guessing what they are looking for is: if someone does NOT press any key on the phone keypad that it will not complete the call.

Most of those robo-calls cannot (or do not) do this.

Exactly. The other reply has nothing to do with it.
Expand your moderator at work

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
join:2001-08-25
Kendall, FL
kudos:3
reply to Melissa2009B

Re: Need a cordless phone system with greeting and ring-through

This may sound crazy, but you may want to switch to an voip like voip.ms, then set up an IVR ("Press 1 for sales, Press 2 for Billing, etc) and then have each of the prompts go to the same extension. IVR is included with VoIP.ms as a feature.

Then purchase any cordless system with extenders, and you're all set.

This will also save you a tremendous amount of money on your phone bill (pending you have Internet at the office).
--
CheckSite.us | YourIP.us | Reverseip.us

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

said by Rob:

This may sound crazy, but you may want to switch to an voip like voip.ms, then set up an IVR ("Press 1 for sales, Press 2 for Billing, etc) and then have each of the prompts go to the same extension. IVR is included with VoIP.ms as a feature.

Then purchase any cordless system with extenders, and you're all set.

This will also save you a tremendous amount of money on your phone bill (pending you have Internet at the office).

Now that's interesting, being we're ready to dump CenturyLink's land line. It's 60 years old paper wrapped foil line that shorts out when it rains or snows and they keep having to come out and "burn" it off while we lose business calls. But we just got Comcast HSI and I understand they have real nice Voice Phone service that we can get from their TG862 gateway here, and it even costs less than the CenturyLink land line, which we've come to refer to as "Banana Republic Phone Company".

I wonder if Comcast has that service too? That could eliminate all the phone spam. Part of the problem is that our home number was originally listed online as our business number, and business lines are exempt from Do Not Call lists, so we get maybe 5-6 unsolicited sales calls a DAY, sometimes more than legitimate business calls!

And we're getting into a political season where Colorado is a swing state, so we're gonna be hit hard with even more crap in coming months. The politicians made themselves exempt from the Do Not Call lists, which are as useless as they are, anyway!

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

I don't think Comcast offers IVR. If you go the route of Comcast, you'll need a PBX in house (such as Asterisk) to handle the IVR prompts.
--

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

I just looked up what IVR means and we don't need IVR, all we need is our recorded message when they call, saying: Hi you've reached [our company name]. Please press 61 to speak to an agent. Then it rings through to our cordless system here at the house.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

Dupe Post. See below.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL
reply to Melissa2009B

That's what IVR is.. it stands for Interactive voice response.

You would only have 1 IVR setup, which is "Hi, you've reached Anime, Inc. To speak with an agent, please dial 61".

Then in the IVR system, you would tell it that anyone who dials 61, to send them to your #.

If they dial any other #, or don't dial anything, it'll repeat the IVR message.
--

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

Oh ok, I thought it was like one of those voice recognition systems. They suck anyway.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by Melissa2009B:

Oh ok, I thought it was like one of those voice recognition systems. They suck anyway.

Yea. And as you've noticed, a VOIP solution can save you a tremendous about of money!

Voip.ms charges a flat rate of $4.95 - $6.95/mo. for 3,500 inbound minutes. Outbound is as little as 0.06/minute.
--

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

I've tried calls with people who were using VOIP and it stank. The packets broke up the conversation.

But I understand that Comcast's Voice service is as good as a land line, or even better.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

The quality of VOIP is dependent on the network where the VOIP works from. So if they a had connection, it also sounded bad on yours.

Comcast is pretty good in that they don't even call it VOIP since it's not. The voice packets for Comcast never leave their private network.
--

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

I'd love to have something that good for only a few bucks a month, but cannot deal with one that breaks up.

Rob
In Deo speramus.
Premium
Kendall, FL

said by Melissa2009B:

I'd love to have something that good for only a few bucks a month, but cannot deal with one that breaks up.

I will say that breaking up, on Comcast, is hard to do.
--

Melissa2009B

Denver, CO

said by Rob:

said by Melissa2009B:

I will say that breaking up, on Comcast, is hard to do.

And it still costs less than the CenturyLink crappy old land line that shorts out when it snows.