Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

3 edits

2 recommendations

Scam PC optimization software that advertised on TV

I am surprised that FCC allows to advertise scam PC optimization software like MyCleanPC that is advertised for the longest

They should make a correction in MyCleanPC AD by making a statement " My computer is running slower than ever. Thanks MyCleanPC. "

Ken1943

join:2001-12-30
Denver, CO

Many people will always try the cheapest way to fix anything.

goalieskates
Premium
join:2004-09-12
land of big

3 recommendations

reply to Oleg

It appears "truth in advertising" laws are no longer enforced.

That particular ad has irked me for years.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 recommendation

said by goalieskates:

It appears "truth in advertising" laws are no longer enforced.

That particular ad has irked me for years.

I totally agree with you. It is brain washing technique that sucks in the people.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg

But but "the virus is GONE!"

I wince when I see those ads.

PS: Gotta love the daughter's "Dad's let's go to the store and buy a new PC...". Sorta like buying a new car when the ashtray is full
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Oleg

I am dying to do an expose about them, but a little afraid of the legal blowback.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

ipv6huh

join:2012-06-26
reply to Oleg

Besides the commercial making me sick... What about when you get a whole office of people who saw the commercial on their break room TV, then went back to their computers and EVERYONE installed it - then they all complained why their Pentium III computers are SLOWER.

Sometimes I hate my job - the debate basically became "because your boss is a cheap **** and won't replace anything" vs. "but I saw it on TV so it can't be a scam"

Uhhh... I've had that domain blocked at every company I've ever done business with, just to avoid this fiasco of a conversation. Of course, some IT people will just leave it and "thrive" on this repeat service call. Same reason the commercial will continue to exist, the TV network is getting paid to show it. Sad really :-(

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit
reply to StuartMW

Crap Defender is da shit

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=ommXn0fQs5o

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ZYVi-1fe2s

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=gky6AnhKpKA

ipv6huh

reply to Oleg

Serious question - do the ad agencies come to the retirement home or the park looking for old people to say nice stuff? Do they pay in real $$ or do they offer a free lunch, maybe just someone to talk to for a few hours?? Or is there some real "market research" to suggest that I'm more willing to use a computer product if an old person recommends it?

I don't understand the logic - please don't accuse me of ageism - I would really like to understand why anyone would think this was a good idea.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

This is exactly what i am thinking. They probably pay those people to say positive things about CyberDefender

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL
reply to ipv6huh

said by ipv6huh:

Besides the commercial making me sick... What about when you get a whole office of people who saw the commercial on their break room TV, then went back to their computers and EVERYONE installed it - then they all complained why their Pentium III computers are SLOWER.

Sometimes I hate my job - the debate basically became "because your boss is a cheap **** and won't replace anything" vs. "but I saw it on TV so it can't be a scam"

Uhhh... I've had that domain blocked at every company I've ever done business with, just to avoid this fiasco of a conversation. Of course, some IT people will just leave it and "thrive" on this repeat service call. Same reason the commercial will continue to exist, the TV network is getting paid to show it. Sad really :-(

Are you talking about something like this?

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_KN_EbkhJw

ipv6huh

1 recommendation

Your a funny guy... yeah it was like that, but with more people not doing their job, and less cheetos

sbconslt

Los Angeles, CA
reply to Oleg

PCMatic.com one just ran. Fox Business News, on Time Warner socal. The one with the father and daughter, mentioned above.

The shame is, if we nailed all these operators to the wall here on the dslr forums, the target demographic to get scammed would never know, cause they're not here.
--
Scott Brown Consulting

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

PC Matic does it all. It's magic!

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=tk7C9fnbqmw

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oleg

said by Oleg:

I am surprised that FCC allows to advertise scam PC optimization software like MyCleanPC that is advertised for the longest

What's the difference between that and all the other crap products advertised?

Why is "makes your software faster" any different to "makes your underwear whiter"?

If you simply assume that all advertising is lying, you won't need to worry about specific cases.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

3 edits

said by dave:

said by Oleg:

What's the difference between that and all the other crap products advertised?

Why is "makes your software faster" any different to "makes your underwear whiter"?

If you simply assume that all advertising is lying, you won't need to worry about specific cases.

You right. There are some products advertised on TV that do not work at all. Like those scratch or dent removal products for your car.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

2 recommendations

reply to dave

The difference is that your underwear will probably still work even if it isn't really whiter. The same can't be said for your computer if the crap product locks it up.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

OK, how about "drink this beer and you'll pick up hot babes", whereas the reality is you're turning into an impotent drunk?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

Yeah, and those are real commercials, too.

Oleg
Premium
Birmingham, AL

1 edit
reply to Oleg

Alright lets get back to Cyber Defender. Read this review from Jim »pcnineoneone.com/cyberdefender-r···ent-3076
He has download Cyber Defender, and the system got infected so he has paid for it, and all of the sudden he loves it

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:12

I found a # for them but no one answered when i rang (Its a mobile phone not surprisingly)

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to ipv6huh

Re: Scam PC optimization software that advertised on TV

said by ipv6huh:

Serious question - do the ad agencies come to the retirement home or the park looking for old people to say nice stuff? Do they pay in real $$ or do they offer a free lunch, maybe just someone to talk to for a few hours?? Or is there some real "market research" to suggest that I'm more willing to use a computer product if an old person recommends it?

I don't understand the logic - please don't accuse me of ageism - I would really like to understand why anyone would think this was a good idea.

Old people have computers. Old people have money. Old people might see other old people buying the product and think it's ok. If you were 70, would you buy a product that a 16 year old kid is using on TV? Probably not.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4

said by fartness:

. If you were 70, would you buy a product that a 16 year old kid is using on TV? Probably not.

16yo's don't use TV. Not anymore...they make fun of it.

They'd see that slop and be making a rageface meme out of it to post somewhere within seconds.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Oleg

When do these ads run? I've never seen one. I generally watch TV during prime time (but not in the summer) and weekdays some afternoons between 3-5PM.

I've seen a very well done ad from Microsoft for IE9 and some Dell ads but nothing else as far as computers go.

So, are these running during infomercial time slots? On broadcast channels or cable ones?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Oleg

They run those commercials out here.
I figure we lose 20 IQ points just watching them.

Just how does any software make a PC run "faster than ever"?
Does it magically replace the processor or add RAM?

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
reply to Oleg

So instead of bickering here, why don't you security guru's do something about it then, huh? Maybe get a little creative? For starters you guys could contact Web Of Trust guys -WOT and convince them to red flag the site...

sbconslt

Los Angeles, CA
reply to Mele20

said by Mele20:

When do these ads run? I've never seen one. I generally watch TV during prime time (but not in the summer) and weekdays some afternoons between 3-5PM.

I've seen a very well done ad from Microsoft for IE9 and some Dell ads but nothing else as far as computers go.

So, are these running during infomercial time slots? On broadcast channels or cable ones?

They run in the inexpensive slots on less watched cable channels, alongside the metal detector, leak stopper, motorized chair, and above ground pool commercials.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5

said by sbconslt:

They run in the inexpensive slots on less watched cable channels, alongside the metal detector, leak stopper, motorized chair, and above ground pool commercials.

Ahh....that explains it. I HATE almost all cable channels. I have cable because we cannot get OTA on the east side of the Big Island. I never watch the cable channels though....just broadcast ones (and we are losing ABC at midnight tonight because Hearst and TWC cannot agree on the terms of the extension of their contract). I only like broadcast channels and just a few specific shows on them.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Oleg

I complained to my boss (we did radio commercials) about that damn Name a Star crap that was being advertised years ago.

The commercial never stated in so many words that the name was "official" or accepted by the IAU. It would never make it into any official catalog with anything else but spacial coordinates.

Since the ad didn't claim "official", but only implied it, it didn't fall under truth in advertising. There just might be something in this commercial that sails close to the wind but doesn't get in the jet stream.

It's like those riders after a drug commercial that they read so damn fast you can't understand them.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to dave

said by dave:

While "lying" is a bit strong I agree. I simply don't pay much attention to ads except maybe the funny/entertaining ones.

I've always found it amusing that people trust the opinion of store salesman. In my experience most have next to no idea about the products they're selling.

The point of most advertising is to implant the brand/product/service name in the mind of potential consumers so that they'll purchase it at some later time.

I'm sure almost everyone here remembers the names "GoToMyPC" and "MyCleanPC" even though we wouldn't actually buy them. In that sense the advertisements have accomplished their mission.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!