share rss forum feed

Dude111
An Awesome Dude
Premium
join:2003-08-04
USA
kudos:13
reply to Oleg

I found a # for them but no one answered when i rang (Its a mobile phone not surprisingly)

fartness
computersoc dot com
Premium
join:2003-03-25
Look Outside
reply to ipv6huh

Re: Scam PC optimization software that advertised on TV

said by ipv6huh:

Serious question - do the ad agencies come to the retirement home or the park looking for old people to say nice stuff? Do they pay in real $$ or do they offer a free lunch, maybe just someone to talk to for a few hours?? Or is there some real "market research" to suggest that I'm more willing to use a computer product if an old person recommends it?

I don't understand the logic - please don't accuse me of ageism - I would really like to understand why anyone would think this was a good idea.

Old people have computers. Old people have money. Old people might see other old people buying the product and think it's ok. If you were 70, would you buy a product that a 16 year old kid is using on TV? Probably not.

caffeinator
Coming soon to a cup near you..
Premium
join:2005-01-16
WA, USA
kudos:4
said by fartness:

. If you were 70, would you buy a product that a 16 year old kid is using on TV? Probably not.

16yo's don't use TV. Not anymore...they make fun of it.

They'd see that slop and be making a rageface meme out of it to post somewhere within seconds.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
kudos:5
reply to Oleg
When do these ads run? I've never seen one. I generally watch TV during prime time (but not in the summer) and weekdays some afternoons between 3-5PM.

I've seen a very well done ad from Microsoft for IE9 and some Dell ads but nothing else as far as computers go.

So, are these running during infomercial time slots? On broadcast channels or cable ones?
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

PrntRhd
Premium
join:2004-11-03
Fairfield, CA
reply to Oleg
They run those commercials out here.
I figure we lose 20 IQ points just watching them.

Just how does any software make a PC run "faster than ever"?
Does it magically replace the processor or add RAM?

DarkSithPro

join:2005-02-12
Tempe, AZ
kudos:2
reply to Oleg
So instead of bickering here, why don't you security guru's do something about it then, huh? Maybe get a little creative? For starters you guys could contact Web Of Trust guys -WOT and convince them to red flag the site...

sbconslt

join:2009-07-28
Los Angeles, CA
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

When do these ads run? I've never seen one. I generally watch TV during prime time (but not in the summer) and weekdays some afternoons between 3-5PM.

I've seen a very well done ad from Microsoft for IE9 and some Dell ads but nothing else as far as computers go.

So, are these running during infomercial time slots? On broadcast channels or cable ones?

They run in the inexpensive slots on less watched cable channels, alongside the metal detector, leak stopper, motorized chair, and above ground pool commercials.

Mele20
Premium
join:2001-06-05
Hilo, HI
said by sbconslt:

They run in the inexpensive slots on less watched cable channels, alongside the metal detector, leak stopper, motorized chair, and above ground pool commercials.

Ahh....that explains it. I HATE almost all cable channels. I have cable because we cannot get OTA on the east side of the Big Island. I never watch the cable channels though....just broadcast ones (and we are losing ABC at midnight tonight because Hearst and TWC cannot agree on the terms of the extension of their contract). I only like broadcast channels and just a few specific shows on them.
--
When governments fear people, there is liberty. When the people fear the government, there is tyranny. Thomas Jefferson

carpetshark3
Premium
join:2004-02-12
Idledale, CO
Reviews:
·CenturyLink
reply to Oleg
I complained to my boss (we did radio commercials) about that damn Name a Star crap that was being advertised years ago.

The commercial never stated in so many words that the name was "official" or accepted by the IAU. It would never make it into any official catalog with anything else but spacial coordinates.

Since the ad didn't claim "official", but only implied it, it didn't fall under truth in advertising. There just might be something in this commercial that sails close to the wind but doesn't get in the jet stream.

It's like those riders after a drug commercial that they read so damn fast you can't understand them.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
reply to dave
said by dave:

If you simply assume that all advertising is lying, you won't need to worry about specific cases.

While "lying" is a bit strong I agree. I simply don't pay much attention to ads except maybe the funny/entertaining ones.

I've always found it amusing that people trust the opinion of store salesman. In my experience most have next to no idea about the products they're selling.

The point of most advertising is to implant the brand/product/service name in the mind of potential consumers so that they'll purchase it at some later time.

I'm sure almost everyone here remembers the names "GoToMyPC" and "MyCleanPC" even though we wouldn't actually buy them. In that sense the advertisements have accomplished their mission.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
I see this kind of advertisement played sometimes on Discovery Channel. One time I saw it while I was watching Mythbusters and I zipped right past it with the DVR.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

3 edits
reply to Oleg
remember the part were they are copying the 3GB file

I calculated they were using USB 1.0 (Low-Bandwidth mode) to copy the 3GB file in 6 hours.

All they had to do was enable Enhanced Host Controller in the bios and they would have had the file in about 10-15 mins

If you really Really WANT to increase the performance on your computer all you have to buy is a Solid-state drive.

Since the hard drive is the slowest component in the computer

Mr Anon

@k12.il.us
reply to Oleg
You all are forgetting about stop sign, the commercials have ceased but I believe the mycleanpc is just its reincarnation.

"or if your computer is just acting weird"

why are you saying it like that? Oh come on there isn't even an h in that one

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
Then there's "LogMein", which I assume to be some sort of dish made with Chinese noodles and wood.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

I totally agree with you. It is brain washing technique that sucks in the people.

yep, not even family is immune. It sucked in my sister about 2 years ago, and again 3 weeks ago. Basically she is getting a bill for just stupidity from me. It's the 3rd time in 2 years I have had to clean a pc of hers and well you are going to pay me this time!
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

Krisnatharok
Caveat Emptor
Premium
join:2009-02-11
Earth Orbit
kudos:12
reply to sbconslt
said by sbconslt:

I am dying to do an expose about them, but a little afraid of the legal blowback.

Tunnel through a foreign server (or two) when you post it. Sort of like that person in Sweden did that taunted Charles Carreon of Funnyjunk fame.

Truth is an absolute defense to defamation: if what you say is true, it cannot be defamatory.
--
If we lose this freedom of ours, history will record with the greatest astonishment, those who had the most to lose, did the least to prevent its happening.

Dodge
Premium
join:2002-11-27
reply to ipv6huh
said by ipv6huh:

Besides the commercial making me sick... What about when you get a whole office of people who saw the commercial on their break room TV, then went back to their computers and EVERYONE installed it - then they all complained why their Pentium III computers are SLOWER.

Sometimes I hate my job - the debate basically became "because your boss is a cheap **** and won't replace anything" vs. "but I saw it on TV so it can't be a scam"

Uhhh... I've had that domain blocked at every company I've ever done business with, just to avoid this fiasco of a conversation. Of course, some IT people will just leave it and "thrive" on this repeat service call. Same reason the commercial will continue to exist, the TV network is getting paid to show it. Sad really :-(

Why are users allowed to install anything to begin with? I admit that the way I configure networks and policies is just short of taking ethernet cables away, but letting users install software just seems like a bad idea.

KodiacZiller
Premium
join:2008-09-04
reply to sbconslt
said by sbconslt:

I don't know. I see these ads run on Fox News all day long (pretty high ratings). I also see them run on CNN and MSNBC's cable news line-up as well (so you can't blame just News Corp). When i watch TV it is usually only the news, so I don't know how often they run on other cable networks.

You probably wont see them on network time slots, but they are all over cable TV, even in prime time slots.

And, yes, they irk me to no end. One of the biggest scams out there. But at least their commercials are (unintentionally) funny.
--
Getting people to stop using windows is more or less the same as trying to get people to stop smoking tobacco products. They dont want to change; they are happy with slowly dying inside. -- munky99999

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
I agree. Those ads crack me up each time i see them.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:3
Yeah, but it's a "free download". They never say how much they charge to activate it.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
reply to David
said by David:

said by Oleg:

I totally agree with you. It is brain washing technique that sucks in the people.

yep, not even family is immune. It sucked in my sister about 2 years ago, and again 3 weeks ago. Basically she is getting a bill for just stupidity from me. It's the 3rd time in 2 years I have had to clean a pc of hers and well you are going to pay me this time!

You could install K9 »www1.k9webprotection.com/ on her computer or create limited user account if you have not done it already.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
Premium,MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
kudos:12
Reviews:
·SONIC.NET
·Pacific Bell - SBC
reply to Mele20
said by Mele20:

I've mostly seen the "MyCleanPC"; and seen it in prime time programming. Odd, because I don't really watch a lot of TV.
--
Norman
~Oh Lord, why have you come
~To Konnyu, with the Lion and the Drum

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to Oleg
said by Oleg:

You could install K9 »www1.k9webprotection.com/ on her computer or create limited user account if you have not done it already.

I could but it's her laptop, and her choice. Me I just make sure my imaging software is up to date. Cause last thing I am going to do is waste time re-installing software.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
reply to Oleg
These crap ads are rampant on SiriusXM too. Log Me In, PC optimization ads, etc. Must be cheap to advertise on there cause I hear the most BS ads.
--
GuruGuy

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
reply to dave
said by dave:

Then there's "LogMein", which I assume to be some sort of dish made with Chinese noodles and wood.

LogMeIn is a legit remote log in software for people that dont want or dont know how to set up a secure remote log in for there home / work PC
they own Hamachi now too

dave
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Yes, I know. I was just making fun of their stupid name. People ought to take more care about smushing words together without punctuation.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
Granite City, IL
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to elios
said by elios:

said by dave:

LogMeIn is a legit remote log in software for people that dont want or dont know how to set up a secure remote log in for there home / work PC
they own Hamachi now too

I use the hamachi service for the machines I maintain.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!

DrStrange
Technically feasible
Premium
join:2001-07-23
West Hartford, CT
kudos:1
reply to Oleg
If I were going to expose this scam [and it is a scam], I'd post here:
»Scam and Phishbusters

Good luck. I'll be watching. If I get some free time on vacation, I might lend a hand.

Anonymous_
Anonymous
Premium
join:2004-06-21
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

1 edit

1 recommendation

reply to Oleg
Click for full size
today I saw a ad for a "instant light bulb"

they showed a part were it was under the sink but if I freeze frame

the right side of the screen is lit a few milliseconds before the "instant light bulb" is even on

antdude
A Ninja Ant
Premium,VIP
join:2001-03-25
United State
reply to Oleg
What channels are these aired on? I have over the air (OTA) antenna. Maybe that's why? Or maybe I don't watch commercials. Hahah!