spc
Search similar:

uniqs
steelyken
join:2002-03-04
Plainfield, IN

steelyken

Just One Email

When I got the email notifying me I had exceeded my "Data Plan" for the month I immediately began a search for an alternative internet provider and within a couple of days signed up with DSLExtreme.
I wish I could also drop the landline just in spite.

morbo
Complete Your Transaction
join:2002-01-22

morbo

Re: Just One Email

said by steelyken:

Why can't you?
steelyken
join:2002-03-04
Plainfield, IN

steelyken

Can't drop the POTS line and use a 3rd party ISP with AT&T.
They are still getting my money indirectly thru DSLExtreme but there are no caps...for now.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by steelyken:

Can't drop the POTS line and use a 3rd party ISP with AT&T.

Actually, I did just that. Requires a CLEC with their own POTS gear in the CO. I don't believe DSLExtreme does that in any state that they serve, but a small, Northern California company (Sonic.net, LLC) does; mostly in the S.F. Bay Area.
Rekrul
join:2007-04-21
Milford, CT

Rekrul to morbo

to morbo
said by morbo:

said by steelyken:

Why can't you?

Because DSL requires a landline and in most areas in the US, AT&T is the only landline phone service available.

NormanS
I gave her time to steal my mind away
MVM
join:2001-02-14
San Jose, CA
TP-Link TD-8616
Asus RT-AC66U B1
Netgear FR114P

NormanS

MVM

said by Rekrul:

said by morbo:

said by steelyken:

Why can't you?

Because DSL requires a landline and in most areas in the US, AT&T is the only landline phone service available.

For some values of, "most", maybe. But AT&T only covers 22 states; and not all in most of them.
NormanS

NormanS to steelyken

MVM

to steelyken
said by steelyken:

When I got the email notifying me I had exceeded my "Data Plan" for the month I immediately began a search for an alternative internet provider and within a couple of days signed up with DSLExtreme.

I didn't wait for the "letter". As soon as my meter was active I dumped AT&T for Sonic.net "Fusion". I got twice the download for half the price, and "Fusion" includes POTS. Ported the number over. I am somewhat miffed at a minor change with Sonic.net, in that I will be leaving the old account with the homeowner, so my status will be, "new customer", and I will be stuck with a modem rental fee. But I hear that AT&T IPDSLAM service is the same way.