StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
kudos:2
reply to Link Logger

Re: Hackers steal BMWs in 3 minutes using security loophole

Sorta ironic that a high-end (expensive) vehicle can be hacked so easily. My low-end one has a hard to duplicate key with an embedded RFID (I think) so it's pretty hard to steal. I've always wondered about vehicles with a keypad on the door.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

Shady Bimmer
Premium
join:2001-12-03
Northport, NY
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
said by StuartMW:

Sorta ironic that a high-end (expensive) vehicle can be hacked so easily. My low-end one has a hard to duplicate key with an embedded RFID (I think) so it's pretty hard to steal. I've always wondered about vehicles with a keypad on the door.

Actually it has nothing to do with a keypad (BMWs don't use these) and does have to do with the electronic identification of the physical key. Every vehicle that uses such technology (including your "low-end") needs a way for the on-board ignition computer to validate the key being used. Similarly, a mechanism must exist to remove/add authorized keys (AKA paring the keys) to that known list stored in the on-board computer. That appears to be what is exploited here.

I would not be surprised if we learn that many other vehicles are similarly "at risk". In slightly older vehicles a physical key was still required to be inserted and used to turn the ignition, but more and more we are now seeing vehicles that depend entirely upon the electronic identification of the key only: When the key is close enough to be read (IE: inserted in a small pocket/slot in the dash) the driver simply presses a start button.

At one time, BMW (and many others) used an internal motion sensor in addition to the ultrasonic detector. It would not be possible to enter the car at all without setting it off, however it was possible to disable that when arming the alarm for certain circumstances (I set one off by walking close to an open window one time). If these still are used I'd question how easy this would be without being detected (IE: perhaps this was disabled in the video for increased effect)