how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

THISISINSANE

join:2012-06-05
Winter Park, FL

[DSL] PPP sync and dropping issues.

I've got the westell 7500 modem that was provided by frontier and every ten or so minutes, it loses dsl connection and restarts. or it will lose sync with their servers and provide me with a connection that's about 1/3 of the 3m dl and .7m up connection I'm supposed to be getting. when it is synced up properly, my SNR and attenuation are respectively, 10.5dB and 50.0dB downstream and 11.5dB and 24.5dB upstream. I've tried cold boots and a hard reset on the damn thing and it hasn't done crap. any suggestions besides resetting it every 10 minutes?
--
One day, I'll blow up CenturyLink's DLSAM for my area.

Aranarth

join:2011-11-04
Stanwood, MI
Reviews:
·Frontier Communi..

You can try setting it up they way I did...

Phone box outside of house with a single wire to modem and a jack.
Modem needs to be as CLOSE to the phone box as possible!
From that jack put in the splitter with a wire that leads to the rest of the house and a short wire to the modem.

Be sure all connections are tight and be sire to use good four strand solid wire from the phone box to the jack your splitter and modem are plugged into.

This should alleviate any noise entering the line and disrupting your modem.

You could also complain to frontier and have them send out a tech to check the line fore noise etc.

clintonL

join:2008-08-13
Georgetown, OH
reply to THISISINSANE

said by THISISINSANE:

I've got the westell 7500 modem that was provided by frontier and every ten or so minutes, it loses dsl connection and restarts. or it will lose sync with their servers and provide me with a connection that's about 1/3 of the 3m dl and .7m up connection I'm supposed to be getting. when it is synced up properly, my SNR and attenuation are respectively, 10.5dB and 50.0dB downstream and 11.5dB and 24.5dB upstream. I've tried cold boots and a hard reset on the damn thing and it hasn't done crap. any suggestions besides resetting it every 10 minutes?

I have had similar problems since having Frontier DSL installed in March. Had numerous service calls trying to fix the problem. Frontier knocked my speed down trying to keep us connected which helped a little but the problems continued. Finally I took a look at the Telephone line that was running from the telephone pole to my house. It had a lot of cracks in it. I then told frontier what I had found. They send our a repair man the next day to replace the line. Not one disconnect since the line was replaced two weeks ago.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI
reply to THISISINSANE

Yep switching out 20 year old telephone cable that has been exposed to elements will definitely help as well.

Also be sure you are using good quality solid wire.

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
reply to clintonL

Imagine that, replacing old cable actually correcting an issue. Now that is something that they need to propagate throughout their organization.

slimtim

join:2002-12-12
Coldwater, MI

Replace all their cable...Fiber Optic only please! :-D

clintonL

join:2008-08-13
Georgetown, OH
reply to Hank

said by Hank:

Imagine that, replacing old cable actually correcting an issue. Now that is something that they need to propagate throughout their organization.

Well it has been two weeks since they replaced the line to our house and so far no dropped connections and no reconnects.

Aranarth

Stanwood, MI

YAY!!!!

Hank
Searching for a new Frontier
Premium
join:2002-05-21
Burlington, WV
kudos:2
reply to clintonL

Happy to hear that. What are your speeds? Can you post your modem stats?

Crookshanks

join:2008-02-04
Binghamton, NY
reply to Aranarth

said by Aranarth:

Be sure all connections are tight and be sire to use good four strand solid wire from the phone box to the jack your splitter and modem are plugged into.

You'd do better to use solid core Cat3 or Cat5 than to use untwisted telephone cable.

said by slimtim:

Replace all their cable...Fiber Optic only please! :-D

Copper > Fiber Optic for POTS service, as it's line powered and doesn't rely on batteries at your residence to continue functioning during power outages.