join:2000-05-04
not in ohio
kudos:8
Reviews:
·Verizon FiOS
reply to Oleg

Re: Scam PC optimization software that advertised on TV

said by Oleg:

I am surprised that FCC allows to advertise scam PC optimization software like MyCleanPC that is advertised for the longest

What's the difference between that and all the other crap products advertised?

Why is "makes your software faster" any different to "makes your underwear whiter"?

If you simply assume that all advertising is lying, you won't need to worry about specific cases.

Oleg
Premium
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL
kudos:2

3 edits
said by dave:

said by Oleg:

I am surprised that FCC allows to advertise scam PC optimization software like MyCleanPC that is advertised for the longest

What's the difference between that and all the other crap products advertised?

Why is "makes your software faster" any different to "makes your underwear whiter"?

If you simply assume that all advertising is lying, you won't need to worry about specific cases.

You right. There are some products advertised on TV that do not work at all. Like those scratch or dent removal products for your car.

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA

2 recommendations

reply to dave
The difference is that your underwear will probably still work even if it isn't really whiter. The same can't be said for your computer if the crap product locks it up.
--
It is easier for a camel to put on a bikini than an old man to thread a needle.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

OK, how about "drink this beer and you'll pick up hot babes", whereas the reality is you're turning into an impotent drunk?

rcdailey
Dragoonfly
Premium
join:2005-03-29
Rialto, CA
Yeah, and those are real commercials, too.

StuartMW
Who Is John Galt?
Premium
join:2000-08-06
Galt's Gulch
reply to dave
said by dave:

While "lying" is a bit strong I agree. I simply don't pay much attention to ads except maybe the funny/entertaining ones.

I've always found it amusing that people trust the opinion of store salesman. In my experience most have next to no idea about the products they're selling.

The point of most advertising is to implant the brand/product/service name in the mind of potential consumers so that they'll purchase it at some later time.

I'm sure almost everyone here remembers the names "GoToMyPC" and "MyCleanPC" even though we wouldn't actually buy them. In that sense the advertisements have accomplished their mission.
--
Don't feed trolls--it only makes them grow!

trparky
Apple... YUM
Premium,MVM
join:2000-05-24
Cleveland, OH
I see this kind of advertisement played sometimes on Discovery Channel. One time I saw it while I was watching Mythbusters and I zipped right past it with the DVR.

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio

1 recommendation

reply to StuartMW
Then there's "LogMein", which I assume to be some sort of dish made with Chinese noodles and wood.

elios

join:2005-11-15
Springfield, MO
said by dave:

Then there's "LogMein", which I assume to be some sort of dish made with Chinese noodles and wood.

LogMeIn is a legit remote log in software for people that dont want or dont know how to set up a secure remote log in for there home / work PC
they own Hamachi now too

dave
Premium,MVM
not in ohio
Yes, I know. I was just making fun of their stupid name. People ought to take more care about smushing words together without punctuation.

David
I start new work on
Premium,VIP
join:2002-05-30
Granite City, IL
kudos:101
Reviews:
·DIRECTV
·AT&T Midwest
·magicjack.com
·Google Voice
reply to elios
said by elios:

said by dave:

LogMeIn is a legit remote log in software for people that dont want or dont know how to set up a secure remote log in for there home / work PC
they own Hamachi now too

I use the hamachi service for the machines I maintain.
--
If you have a topic in the direct forum please reply to it or a post of mine, I get a notification when you do this.
Koetting Ford, Granite City, illinois... YOU'RE FIRED!!