uniqs

lhollow
join:2010-12-02
IL

lhollow to poordebru

to poordebru

Re: [Cable TV] $10.00 MC EMTA charge

said by poordebru:

the first modem they put on that was refurbished would not even work, so they went to the truck and got another refurb.

I think the proper thing to call them is "used" or "recycled". The actual "refurbished" items I've purchased in the past were factory repaired, tested, and CLEANED.
poordebru
join:2011-12-09
Decatur, IN

poordebru

MC tech said they were refurbed!

OldCableGuy
@ncs.com

OldCableGuy

Anon

They're refurbished by Mediacom. They're taken in, dusted, verified they work, and then packaged for installation. Just because it doesn't go back to "the factory" doesn't mean it's not refurbished.

Do all inventory clerks do a through job? Not always... That's another topic though.

thedragonmas
Premium Member
join:2007-12-28
Albany, GA
Netgear R6300 v2
ARRIS SB6180

thedragonmas

Premium Member

said by OldCableGuy :

They're refurbished by Mediacom. They're taken in, dusted, verified they work, and then packaged for installation. Just because it doesn't go back to "the factory" doesn't mean it's not refurbished.

Do all inventory clerks do a through job? Not always... That's another topic though.

refurbished means to "repair or renew" so technically just cleaning the thing works. however if they dont even bother to do that much then its clearly "used".. and used goods are used goods no matter how ya look at it. tho when it comes to renting a modem from mediacom you roll the dice. same for the DCT's..

i was lucky enough that when they changed out the EMTA for a standard modem it was N.I.B. (i doubt mediacom would take the time to shrink wrap them)..

i would buy my own, but they always tend to go for the modem first, last thing i want is them to either 1. take mine by mistake. or 2. swear up and down its my equipment and not even bother troubleshooting their lines. been there done that. ill just rent it.

but i will not rent both an EMTA and a modem. not when the EMTA does the exact same thing. thats double charging for the same piece of hardware. one reason i wont be switching phone back to mediacom.

i could rant endlessly on the not allowing people to use there own EMTA no matter the brand, but i figure others have that well covered.

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88 to lhollow

Premium Member

to lhollow
Part of the problem is techs not tagging hardware as defective. Unless there is a tag describing the problem warehouse employees will assume its functional, clean it and reissue it.
GLIMMER
join:2004-01-17
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

The problem is if your charging a fee then the price of hardware should be new period. Does anyone think mediacom paid more than 1 years rent aka 120.00 for that modem?

Anonymous88
Premium Member
join:2004-06-01
IA

Anonymous88

Premium Member

If you buy a modem from Mediacom you will get a new one. If you rent you get whatever the tech installs.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to GLIMMER

Anon

to GLIMMER
Why does renting equipment mean it should be new? Do you think the digital cable box you have is brand new? Do you think every rental car you get is brand new? Do you think the books you check out from the library are brand new? The movies you rent from Redbox?

What do you think Mediacom should do with the 99% of functional modems that are returned? Just pitch them in the landfill because Glimmer believes customers should only be provided with brand new equipment?
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER

Nope I think they should just do rent to own. The other problem is the company rolled out a new policy without a way to bring your own emta wwhich in my eyes is bad cs relations. As for a cable box you could not pay me to have mediacom cable tv. If they finally get off there butts and spend some money to upgrade this area I might. There is no on demand here come on this is 2012.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy

Anon

Why would a customer want to rent to own a modem? What good is a modem when you cancel or switch to DSL? You've not thought this through well.

GASP Dish and DirecTV give you refurbished boxes as well.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

More often than not, new customers get new boxes with Directv. There are ways to get new form 3rd parties as well.

Juneau
@sbcglobal.net

Juneau

Anon

I got used equipment when I tried Directv. Don't know if that is common or not but that's what happened to me.
GLIMMER
Fisher, IL

GLIMMER to OldCableGuy

to OldCableGuy
Every dtv box I've ever got is new. As for dsl thats not an option sometimes because let's face it mediacom services small towns and frontier can't compete atleast in this market.

OldCableGuy
@planetcr.net

OldCableGuy to Juneau

Anon

to Juneau
Just because it's in a sealed box doesn't mean it's new. My "new" Dish network box had another families DVR recordings on it.

I guess Mediacom just needs to invest in a shrink wrapper and you'd all be happy.

tsduke
Premium Member
join:2006-03-04
Waterloo, IA

tsduke

Premium Member

Not sure where the shrink wrap reference is from, but no shrink wrap on mine and I will guarantee mine were new in box receivers. Directv's refurbs have new serial# refurb stickers on them. Also the outlet I get mine from only carries new.

Doesn't matter much to me though. Even the refurbs are better than any cable box. I order mine from outside Directv just so I can get the model I want.