how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Ott_Cable

@teksavvy.com
reply to Davesnothere

Re: Router ALT Firmware for QoS for VoIP

I use QoS to reserve my upstream bandwidth for VoIP on cable. I don't use it for the downstream as it basically throws away the extra speed I would have with Rogers Speedboost. Since Rogers uses Speedboost for the first n MB of data, I figure that new VoIP connections should get the extra bandwidth anyways.

I wish the people that implemented QoS were a bit more smart to only turn the bandiwidth limiting only during a VoIP session and not on all the time.

Davesnothere
No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7

said by Ott_Cable :

I use QoS to reserve my upstream bandwidth for VoIP on cable.

I don't use it for the downstream as it basically throws away the extra speed I would have with Rogers Speedboost.

Since Rogers uses Speedboost for the first n MB of data, I figure that new VoIP connections should get the extra bandwidth anyways.

I wish the people that implemented QoS were a bit more smart to only turn the bandwidth limiting only during a VoIP session and not on all the time.

That all makes good sense to me.

So which alternate firmware offers the most flexibility regarding how I can configure the QoS, using my WRT54GL router ?

And are you using one of those firmwares, or does your router HAVE QoS capability already ?