Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable

4 edits
both outdated articles, and don't trust that sight with vpn advice since they are the main sponsors.

that's the unfortunate fact of most VPN reviews, even those on DSLR:

»Exploring The Best VPN Providers

This article is part of an effort to solicit paid content from the Broadband Reports community.

UPDATE: I recently upgraded my Linkideo service from PPTP to OpenVPN, and even though I didn't need the extra bandwidth it offers, the stability of an OpenVPN client is infinitely better than PPTP. I'm able to go to bed with a few gig of torrents in my que, and wake up the next morning still connected and all my downloading done - this is what I wanted all along, and now I finally have it just in time for the "Six Strikes" July ISP torrent crackdown. So if you try Linkideo or any PPTP based VPN and were dissatisfied, don't give up on them till you upgrade to their OpenVPN class service. You'll get rock solid performance, without the worry of some proprietary client doing God knows what else with your PC.

One trick I learned from trial and error with VPNs is never max out your connection, so if you have a 1200mbps IPS service, leave about 20% of overhead and set your max download speed on your torrent client throttled at 900mbps - this will increase the stability and consistency of your downloads, while also allowing you to do other things with your PC while you are torrenting such as web browsing and even low res streaming or limited online game play.

Jay_Are
J.R.
Premium
join:2004-04-10
Sicklerville, NJ
If you're referring to BolehVPN custom Openvpn client, you can use the standard OpenVPN client to connect to the network.
--
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke

Packeteers
Premium
join:2005-06-18
Forest Hills, NY
kudos:1
Reviews:
·Time Warner Cable
no Jay, I can't comment on Boleh - I'll leave that up to you.

if you read earlier in this thread i discussed another service
that required 1GB of program libraries to run at all, when
all you should need is a 2MB OpenVPN or near equivalent.
maybe when my service expires I'll give Boleh a try out.
Let us know when they have any under a Month promos.

Jay_Are
J.R.
Premium
join:2004-04-10
Sicklerville, NJ

1 edit
I was fortunate to find a VPN service that met my needs on the first try. I also considered several of the vpn service that you mentioned earlier during my search. After reading some comments regarding slow downloads during peak time turned me off on most of them. Bolehvpn is definitely worth a try, I suggest trying a full 30 days trial. The bonus gift makes the service that much better, well worth the extra cost.
--
"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" Edmund Burke