Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

1 edit

NetFixer to jupitermoon

Premium Member

to jupitermoon

Re: Is it possible to quit Google?

said by jupitermoon:

I normally don't log in unless I'm going to post. When I logged in, Google Adsense was gone.

This site has "built-in Google ad blocking"? Where is that? I checked all the Preferences settings under the Members tab but I didn't see anything like that. The image you posted looks like you enabled web site blocking in your Comcast router.

The "Google ad blocking" is actually called "No banner ads" and it is located in the Members/Account tab.

Yes, I do have web site blocking enabled in my Comcast gateway router. That is where I found that I had to temporarily enable googlesyndication.com before I could actually see the DSLR Google ads (even if I had temporarily enabled everything in NoScript).

Below is a screen shot of this forum when I am not logged in. You can see that googlesyndication.com is showing as an automatic block by NoScript (it is not there when logged in). However even if I allow it in NoScript, I still don't see the ads because googlesyndication (and other tracking sites) are blocked in my router.

FWIW, I don't use the web site blocking or NoScript specifically as an ad blocker. I consider it a privacy/security block, but third party ad blocking is a nice side benefit. Sites that don't use the tracking sites that I block and/or offsite iframes for their ads are rewarded by having their ads displayed (and I have no problem with that; I am not opposed to sites using ads to defray their costs in the same manner that broadcast and print media use ads).

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by jupitermoon:

I normally don't log in unless I'm going to post. When I logged in, Google Adsense was gone.

This site has "built-in Google ad blocking"? Where is that? I checked all the Preferences settings under the Members tab but I didn't see anything like that. The image you posted looks like you enabled web site blocking in your Comcast router.

The "Google ad blocking" is actually called "No banner ads" and it is located in the Members/Account tab.

Yes, I do have web site blocking enabled in my Comcast gateway router. That is where I found that I had to temporarily enable googlesyndication.com before I could actually see the DSLR Google ads (even if I had temporarily enabled everything in NoScript).

Below is a screen shot of this forum when I am not logged in. You can see that googlesyndication.com is showing as an automatic block by NoScript (it is not there when logged in). However even if I allow it in NoScript, I still don't see the ads because googlesyndication (and other tracking sites) are blocked in my router.

[att=1]

FWIW, I don't use the web site blocking or NoScript specifically as an ad blocker. I consider it a privacy/security block, but third party ad blocking is a nice side benefit. Sites that don't use the tracking sites that I block and/or offsite iframes for their ads are rewarded by having their ads displayed (and I have no problem with that; I am not opposed to sites using ads to defray their costs in the same manner that broadcast and print media use ads).

I have no setting called "no banner ads" in any tab within the member settings, including the member/account tab.

You appear to be a premium member....wonder if that's why you have that setting.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by GuruGuy:

I have no setting called "no banner ads" in any tab within the member settings, including the member/account tab.

You appear to be a premium member....wonder if that's why you have that setting.

The screen shot below shows where I see that setting, and perhaps you are correct about the premium membership being the reason...I was not aware of that since I have always been a premium member (I needed that so that I could use tool points for certain site features that a couple of clients required me to use).

GuruGuy
Premium Member
join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA

GuruGuy

Premium Member

said by NetFixer:

said by GuruGuy:

The screen shot below shows where I see that setting, and perhaps you are correct about the premium membership being the reason...I was not aware of that since I have always been a premium member (I needed that so that I could use tool points for certain site features that a couple of clients required me to use).

[att=1]

My setting is exactly like your picture, without the "no banner ads" setting. I would bet it's the Premium membership that allows you to disable showing the ads.

NetFixer
From My Cold Dead Hands
Premium Member
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Netgear CM500
Pace 5268AC
TRENDnet TEW-829DRU

NetFixer

Premium Member

said by GuruGuy:

My setting is exactly like your picture, without the "no banner ads" setting. I would bet it's the Premium membership that allows you to disable showing the ads.

I just clicked on the "register" link from a non-logged in session (to see if I could see any explanation of exactly what is included with premium membership), and it would appear that this site is not currently accepting new premium members. I wonder what's up with that?