antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
join:2001-03-25
US

1 edit

antdude

Premium Member

How to determine exactly how far/long the phone line to CO?

Hello.

Is there a way to determine how far/long the phone line is between homes/locations and COs for DSL online? Note this is assuming one doesn't have a DSL service.

Thank you in advance.

aefstoggaflm
Open Source Fan
Premium Member
join:2002-03-04
Bethlehem, PA
Linksys E4200
ARRIS SB6141

aefstoggaflm

Premium Member

#1 Yes, there is.

#2 However I am not sure exactly how it works.

#3 However the details that I recall, is to get the DSL Transceiver from the modem combo.

#4 If you have DSL and if you don't know how to get that info:

a) What is the brand and model of the DSL modem?

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the DSL modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

#5 If you don't have DSL, I am not sure if and how you do what you want to do.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 Yes, there is.

#3 However the details that I recall, is to get the DSL Transceiver from the modem combo.

b) If you have a RJ-45 WAN port router connected to the DSL modem: What is the brand and model of the RJ-45 WAN port router?

I don't have DSL. Didn't DSLReports.com used to say how many feet on an address and phone number? I couldn't find it.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

1 recommendation

norbert26 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
access the modem usually »192.168.1.1 user=admin password=password on SOME modems by default choose status or statistic or trouble shooting depending on modem model. Find Down Sream Line Attenuation Multiply this number by 250. Example: If your Down Stream Line Attenuation =63.5 then your line loop is ABOUT 15,875 feet from the CO.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by norbert26:

access the modem usually »192.168.1.1 user=admin password=password on SOME modems by default choose status or statistic or trouble shooting depending on modem model. Find Down Sream Line Attenuation Multiply this number by 250. Example: If your Down Stream Line Attenuation =63.5 then your line loop is ABOUT 15,875 feet from the CO.

Please reread what I said about having no DSL service.

norbert26
Premium Member
join:2010-08-10
Warwick, RI

norbert26 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by aefstoggaflm:

#1 Yes, there is.

I don't have DSL. Didn't DSLReports.com used to say how many feet on an address and phone number? I couldn't find it.

If DSL is NOT active disregard my previous post it will not help.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

If DSL is NOT active disregard my previous post it will not help.

Thanks. I updated my original post to clarify that.

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz
446.4 4.0

sashwa to antdude

Mod

to antdude
ant, I'm not sure how accurate this is but here is the link you might be looking for:

»/coinfo

It should at least give you a rough estimate I think.

I found the link you were looking for but that tool is closed:

»/prequ ··· distance

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by sashwa:

ant, I'm not sure how accurate this is but here is the link you might be looking for:

»/coinfo

»/prequ ··· distance

Aww, it closed. Since when? Is there another one on another web site or so?

sashwa
Mod
join:2001-01-29
Alcatraz

sashwa

Mod

I don't know when it closed but I think it's been a while though. I don't know of any others on other sites. Sorry.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

1 recommendation

antdude

Premium Member

said by sashwa:

I don't know when it closed but I think it's been a while though. I don't know of any others on other sites. Sorry.

Darn and thanks.

Smith6612
MVM
join:2008-02-01
North Tonawanda, NY
·Charter
Ubee EU2251
Ubiquiti UAP-IW-HD
Ubiquiti UniFi AP-AC-HD

Smith6612 to antdude

MVM

to antdude
said by antdude:

said by sashwa:

»/coinfo

»/prequ ··· distance

It's been gone for ages. At lease since I joined this site.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by Smith6612:

said by antdude:

said by sashwa:

»/coinfo

»/prequ ··· distance

It's been gone for ages. At lease since I joined this site.

I remember using it in the early 2000s.

trp2525
Premium Member
join:2008-02-24
united state

1 recommendation

trp2525 to antdude

Premium Member

to antdude
If you are a Verizon landline phone customer you should be able to find your loop length by going to »www.aceinnovative.com/. Click on "Residential" and then "Internet" from the drop down menu in the upper left portion of the web page. Enter your Verizon phone number in the "Service Request Form" that comes up and it should tell you the highest speed AceDSL speed plan you qualify for and your loop length.

The tool works for me but I question its accuracy. My loop length is listed as 7,900 feet but according to my modem statistics I am at 11,375 feet (250 feet times 45.5 dB line attenuation). I drove the distance from my local CO to my home by the most direct route possible and it measured 1.8 miles which would equal approximately 9,504 feet.

I'm not complaining about the possible inaccuracy in Verizon's database (which is what this AceDSL tool uses) as it allowed me to get 7.1 DSL service from Verizon over 3 years ago as their cutoff for 7.1 service was 8,000 feet at the time. I'm not sure if that is still the current cutoff for 7.1 provisioning.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by trp2525:

If you are a Verizon landline phone customer you should be able to find your loop length by going to »www.aceinnovative.com/. Click on "Residential" and then "Internet" from the drop down menu in the upper left portion of the web page. Enter your Verizon phone number in the "Service Request Form" that comes up and it should tell you the highest speed AceDSL speed plan you qualify for and your loop length.

The tool works for me but I question its accuracy. My loop length is listed as 7,900 feet but according to my modem statistics I am at 11,375 feet (250 feet times 45.5 dB line attenuation). I drove the distance from my local CO to my home by the most direct route possible and it measured 1.8 miles which would equal approximately 9,504 feet.

I'm not complaining about the possible inaccuracy in Verizon's database (which is what this AceDSL tool uses) as it allowed me to get 7.1 DSL service from Verizon over 3 years ago as their cutoff for 7.1 service was 8,000 feet at the time. I'm not sure if that is still the current cutoff for 7.1 provisioning.

Ah, need a land line service then to use it. I only have its address.

trp2525
Premium Member
join:2008-02-24
united state

1 recommendation

trp2525

Premium Member

You need a specific telephone number to get a loop length because the loop length can vary GREATLY depending on which cable pair your telephone number is on and how you are routed back to the CO. I have neighbors that live right next door to me and directly across the street from me that have loop lengths ranging from 3,000 feet to 6,000 feet greater than mine because of the way they are routed back to the CO.

If you are looking for loop length data to determine what DSL speed you would qualify for, I would drive the distance between your local CO and the address in question BY THE MOST DIRECT ROUTE to get an idea of the shortest loop length possible between those two points. The laws of physics dictate that the shortest distance between two points is a direct line. Of course we are assuming you are being fed from the CO and not from a remote terminal.

From what I have read regarding Verizon DSL I believe the cutoff is 8,000 feet for 7.1 Mbps DSL, 7,000 feet for 10 Mbps DSL and only 4,000 feet for the full 15 Mbps DSL. Of course all of this is dependent on if your local CO even offers those speeds and, if they do, will they provision your line to operate at those speeds. The availability (or lack thereof) of ADSL2+ and available bandwidth at your local CO will also be determining factors.

antdude
Matrix Ant
Premium Member
US

antdude

Premium Member

said by trp2525:

You need a specific telephone number to get a loop length because the loop length can vary GREATLY depending on which cable pair your telephone number is on and how you are routed back to the CO. I have neighbors that live right next door to me and directly across the street from me that have loop lengths ranging from 3,000 feet to 6,000 feet greater than mine because of the way they are routed back to the CO.

If you are looking for loop length data to determine what DSL speed you would qualify for, I would drive the distance between your local CO and the address in question BY THE MOST DIRECT ROUTE to get an idea of the shortest loop length possible between those two points. The laws of physics dictate that the shortest distance between two points is a direct line. Of course we are assuming you are being fed from the CO and not from a remote terminal.

From what I have read regarding Verizon DSL I believe the cutoff is 8,000 feet for 7.1 Mbps DSL, 7,000 feet for 10 Mbps DSL and only 4,000 feet for the full 15 Mbps DSL. Of course all of this is dependent on if your local CO even offers those speeds and, if they do, will they provision your line to operate at those speeds. The availability (or lack thereof) of ADSL2+ and available bandwidth at your local CO will also be determining factors.

Thanks.

Alex G Bell
join:2002-07-02
Boston, MA

2 recommendations

Alex G Bell to antdude

to antdude
Not necessarily any of the above--usable DSL speed is determined by considering line length, pair gauges, radio interference, the number of DSL (and T1) users in a cable bundle, bridge taps and multiples, bad splices, etc., etc. Even telephone company data is an estimate based on approximate line length determined by an electrical (MLT) test of the line. If you want to get an approximation of line length, don't travel the least-distance path between your home and your serving C.O., follow the telephone cables themselves (this distance, however, will not factor in added line length caused by multiples). Two distances that measure the same, however, may not necessarily support the same DSL speeds.