join:2008-02-10
Sainte-Julie, QC

1 recommendation

PatPatate to Robert

to Robert

Re: [Rave] Windows 7

said by Robert:

said by 47717768:

The same here. I do not run any protection at all for years, and no infections whatsoever.

A lot of people say that, until they go to the doctor and realize they have an infection..

oh wait you're talking about computers. Same rule applies.

Still, if you know where to NOT click on the Internet and your firewall is protecting you properly, then you won't get any viruses. I do have Avast installed but it never detected anything.
47717768 (banned)
join:2003-12-08
Birmingham, AL

47717768 (banned)

Exactly. For average user Anti Virus and Firewall is most have, especially for IE users.

Time
Premium Member
join:2003-07-05
Irvine, CA

1 edit

Time to PatPatate

Premium Member

to PatPatate
said by PatPatate:

said by Robert:

said by 47717768:

The same here. I do not run any protection at all for years, and no infections whatsoever.

A lot of people say that, until they go to the doctor and realize they have an infection..

oh wait you're talking about computers. Same rule applies.

Still, if you know where to NOT click on the Internet and your firewall is protecting you properly, then you won't get any viruses. I do have Avast installed but it never detected anything.

Knowing where "not to click" is rather irrelevant in the grand scheme of things anymore. A decent chunk of malware is distributed via java drive-bys through compromised websites.

A common scenario:
A website you regularly visit is compromised via XSS, they dump some base64 encoded JS into an iframe or load up a 0x0 applet, and use blackhole or another exploit kit to bypass the sandbox. Then, load your system up with a commonly distributed Win32.Gen**Backdoor that would have been detected, had you been running the appropriate security software. Yes, there are drive-bys on the internet; unlike in RL, there's no "bang" to go with it.

Truthfully, how many of you "I don't run AV" people actually run with Java disabled in your browsers?

On topic, Windows 7 is great. I will not be purchasing Windows 8, it reminds me of Vista.