Gentleman
Premium Member
join:2010-01-07
Evans, GA

1 edit

Immer

Premium Member

Introducing the Guild Mentoring Program

Another great program offered by Blizzard.

Azeroth -- It’s a land of turmoil, harsh and unyielding for heroes of the Horde and the Alliance as they struggle against enemies from within and without. For those stepping forth for the first time into this implacable realm, life can seem overwhelming, but surviving in this hostile environment is not insurmountable with a little help. Will your band of brothers and sisters, heroes and mentors, heed your call for aid?

Azeroth needs more heroes to rise through the ranks and your guild can help. We’re looking for a few good guilds to volunteer for the new Guild Mentoring Program. Guilds participating in the program will take part in identifying new players within selected realms, offering to invite them into the guild, and teaching them the ways of Azeroth as they level and reach the end game content.
F.A.Q.
Q. What is the Guild Mentoring Program?
A. The guild mentoring program identifies guilds on select realms to act as mentors for new and low level players (below level 85).

Q. How long does the Guild Mentoring Program run for?
A. The Guild Mentoring Program will run for a period of three months from the time that guilds are selected and notified.

Q. Is there a certain criteria for being selected as a mentoring guild?
A. Guilds must meet certain criteria to be considered for the Guild

Mentoring Program:

• Guilds must be located on one of the selected realms.
• They must be willing to commit to the program for a three month period.
• They must be willing to change their name for the three month Guild Mentoring participation period. (Names will be changed back at the end of the program.)
• Guilds must be at least level 6 and have an active membership.

Q. How many guilds will be recruiting per realm?
A. Only one guild will be selected per faction on each realm.

Q. What does my guild need to do to volunteer?
A. The guild leader will need to submit an application to wowguilds@blizzard.com with the following information:
• Current guild name and guild leader name
• Current realm and faction of the applying guild
• Current guild level and number of guild members
• Guild leader’s real name and phone number (this information will not be published and is for internal use only)
• Brief description of the Mentoring Guild

Q. How long are you accepting applications for?
A. We will be accepting applications for two weeks. We will then select a guild for the Guild Mentoring Program from those that meet the criteria and contact the guild leader.

Q. On what realms will this program be available?
A. Mentoring guilds will be chosen for the following realms:

US Realms
• Aggramar
• Azuremist
• Blackhand
• Cenarius
• Dalaran
• Doomhammer
• Garona
• Garrosh
• Ravencrest
• Sen'jin
• Shu'halo
• Ysera

Oceanic Realms
• Dath'Remar
• Saurfang

Q. Do participating guilds get anything special?
A. Some of the benefits for taking part in the program include:

• MVP status on the forums for the guild leader and recruitment officer
• Guild member private forum access
• Recognition for your guild as being participants in the program

If our server had been listed, I totally would have applied.

UPDATE:

Nethaera: Just to let everyone know, the actual time this will be running is four months, not three.

JB9
Stay Gold
Premium Member
join:2009-05-14

JB9

Premium Member

We would too. Why is there not one on every server/faction ???

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

said by JB9:

We would too. Why is there not one on every server/faction ???

I'm hoping this is just a pilot program that becomes a huge success. This would be a great program to keep ongoing, especially on low pop servers.

Caelharrad
join:2012-04-13
Fenton, MO

Caelharrad to Immer

to Immer
Hooboy. My characters/guild are on Garona. I need to talk to my brother-in-law (our guild master) like RIGHT AWAY.

bTU
join:2009-04-22
Aurora, CO

bTU to Immer

to Immer
Hmm, my rogue and lock are on Shu'Halo. I'll bring it up tonight to the GM.

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

DownLow to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
why do you think those servers were chosen? Any rational or speculation?
cymraeg
Thread Killer
Premium Member
join:2011-06-07
Dodge, NE

cymraeg to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
it doesnt say what youre suppose to mentor players in. is it general game mechanics, professions, raiding, pvp or are you supposed to be a nanny and hold their hand to cap. more info is needed there blizz.
cymraeg

cymraeg to DownLow

Premium Member

to DownLow
i would suspect that they are the lowest for progression. on both sides pvp and pve, pop really isnt an issue i think, i am sure they are lower than the top end realms where the big dogs sit but, dont think it is as important as far as they progress
cymraeg

cymraeg to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
the cynic in me has many ?s

does blizz pick the players or do i get to invite them?
if the player is an asshole and i gkick the player do i lose my mentor status?
what are the other benefits, forum color change for my name is all well and good but it doesnt benefit my guild any?

to ask a few.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer

Premium Member

I think the goal is to have guilds volunteer to take in brand new players so that they are quickly engaged with the server community. Despite making the leveling process from 1-80 so much quicker... that's a lot of content to aimlessly plod through. I'd imagine blizz plans to direct new players toward these guilds in-game. GMs will be paying close attention to tickets regarding these guilds.

Phantasee
join:2009-08-27
Hammond, LA

1 recommendation

Phantasee to Immer

to Immer
This is rather weird to me for some reason.

Omega
Premium Member
join:2002-07-30
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

said by Phantasee:

Yea, am along the same lines of thought. There are plenty of leveling guilds on all servers that cater to people who are not hardcore or cannot raid. It's very easy to find these guilds because they usually spam trade and general chat. You'd have to try very hard not to find a guild in WoW.

DownLow
Nope...I Got Nothing
Premium Member
join:2001-04-25
Long Island

DownLow

Premium Member

said by Omega:

said by Phantasee:

Yea, am along the same lines of thought. There are plenty of leveling guilds on all servers that cater to people who are not hardcore or cannot raid. It's very easy to find these guilds because they usually spam trade and general chat. You'd have to try very hard not to find a guild in WoW.

So would/could the logic be that these servers have the highest proportion of unguilded players?

Phantasee
Hammond, LA

Phantasee

said by DownLow:

said by Omega:

said by Phantasee:

So would/could the logic be that these servers have the highest proportion of unguilded players?

Maybe so.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
join:2002-07-10
Port Orchard, WA

drew to Omega

Premium Member

to Omega
Except those guilds are almost always the worst guild that a new player could possibly join.

1) They're filled with twelve year old CoD "rawkstars" that nobody likes.
2) They are almost always extremely poorly organized. No guild events...
3) Leadership in those guilds are typically worthless.
4) They do nothing to help form lasting relationships & engage players; they are merely stepping stones.
5) There is virtually no "mentoring" going on; it's a numbers game.

Phantasee
Hammond, LA

Phantasee

said by drew:

Except those guilds are almost always the worst guild that a new player could possibly join.

4) They do nothing to help form lasting relationships & engage players; they are merely stepping stones.

Sounds like all the qualities I'm looking for!

Ghastlyone
Premium Member
join:2009-01-07
Nashville, TN

Ghastlyone to Immer

Premium Member

to Immer
Will said guild mentor offer to run my level 6 through Rage Fire Chasm multiple times, lend me gold, and allow me to dump stacks of grey quality items in the guild bank?

If so, count me in!

McBrain
BRB Face Melting
join:2010-05-06
Marietta, GA

McBrain to Phantasee

to Phantasee
said by Phantasee:

said by drew:

Sounds like all the qualities I'm looking for!

Where's the part about overweight middle-aged chicks who will send nudes for raid carries?

I'm only in if that's #6 on the list.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

That's more prevalent in the next tier of guilds.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

And thats what I'd expect to see on these "mentor" guilds sadily

maybe if Blizz added some setting the GM could control like, can't be promoted for 2-3 months if they've been Gkicked more than 2-3 times from other guilds.

add some counter that GM's/Officers could see to know the number of Gkicks in the past year the person has had (account wide) maybe a history panel to know what guilds they were in and maybe a comments section for Gkicks, Gquits so the guild can know why they left or were kicked.

That could help guilds avoid the bads.

but I think these mentor guilds will likely not really mentor but just become the #1 troll guilds.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

1 recommendation

drew

Premium Member

I'm fairly confident that blizzard "interview" and application process is designed specifically to avoid what you're talking about.

DarkLogix
Texan and Proud
Premium Member
join:2008-10-23
Baytown, TX

DarkLogix

Premium Member

It'll likely find the good GM's but I would fear it'd make it more likely those GM's would let in Bad multiple Gkicked people that in all rights you don't want to play with.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

But that goes with the being part of a leveling guild. Very few raiding guilds want to deal with new players, even casual ones. When I played, my guild raided on a set schedule but was very casual about it (people didn't play unless they were raiding. That being said, my guild was very organized.

Then you have the other side where its a huge guild, people are playing, but not organized enough to raid or do other events. I don't see a lot of room for middle ground. There are not very many guilds that welcome new people AND do organized events.

I'm sure a couple guilds will pull this off because some people are nice to other people to an almost sickening degree, but these mentoring guilds will still be stepping stones for people who want to raid or PVP in a successful and organized environment.

drew
Radiant
Premium Member
Port Orchard, WA

drew

Premium Member

I think this could create the kind of environment like Immer See Profile has in his guild.

Omega
Premium Member
Golden, CO

Omega

Premium Member

Yea maybe, I am not discounting their possibility. I was only ever in asshole guilds. People were simply mean to each other, but at the same time we got along. I've met several people from my latest guild, it just sort of worked.

Immer
Gentleman
Premium Member
Evans, GA

Immer to drew

Premium Member

to drew
said by drew:

I think this could create the kind of environment like Immer See Profile has in his guild.

thanks, Drew.
said by Omega:

but these mentoring guilds will still be stepping stones for people who want to raid or PVP in a successful and organized environment.

that is how I see our guild, especially in the next expansion. We are growing in reputation, and I'd like to think people are comfortable pugging with us. I think we'd have made a great candidate for this program on our server. Regardless, we will continue doing what we do.