All Forums Hot Topics Gallery
spc
Search similar:

uniqs
manolito2112
join:2006-02-18
canada

manolito2112

[Cable] How can I get my SBG6580 Activated with teksavvy?

I just received a brand new SBG6580 1 hour ago
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx

Premium Member

It's not an approved modem that Rogers/Videotron/Shaw (depending on where you are) will activate.

elwoodblues
Elwood Blues
Premium Member
join:2006-08-30
Somewhere in

elwoodblues to manolito2112

Premium Member

to manolito2112
Let me know when that happens, I want one.

mp
@teksavvy.com

mp to decx

Anon

to decx
said by decx:

It's not an approved modem that Rogers/Videotron/Shaw (depending on where you are) will activate.

I use one. Just give them the MAC address on it, saying you've already got a modem. It works great.
manolito2112
canada

manolito2112

Agree, Since this is standard DOCSIS 3.0 with backward compatibility with DOCSIS 2.0 and 1.0 modem, it is absolutely logic that will work in term of the protocol, I know this big guys (rogers,bell,etc) love to customize everything, just to pretend they built them, but fortunately DOCSIS protocol was not invented by them, I think what they only need is the MAC address (may be for DHCP Server addition if static IP is chosen) and MAC + (may be serial) for RADIUS user authentication for the PPP, nothing more

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy

Premium Member

said by manolito2112:

Agree, Since this is standard DOCSIS 3.0 with backward compatibility with DOCSIS 2.0 and 1.0 modem, it is absolutely logic that will work in term of the protocol, I know this big guys (rogers,bell,etc) love to customize everything, just to pretend they built them, but fortunately DOCSIS protocol was not invented by them, I think what they only need is the MAC address (may be for DHCP Server addition if static IP is chosen) and MAC + (may be serial) for RADIUS user authentication for the PPP, nothing more

Don't know if you've ever seen the actual tool, but there's no Radius user authentication on cable providers in Canada at least....all use DHCP...

Also, they know its an SBG6580 because it reports in as such, unless you have a way of reburning the EEPROM to indicate otherwise...

Anywho, I don't know why anyone would want to activate this thing....wireless built into my modem? No thanks....
manolito2112
canada

manolito2112

1. DHCP is NOT an authentication protocol, It is a configuration protocol that provides basic IP configuration, if you don't know that, DHCP do not send any model or serial number information from any device but the HOST name (filled by you or MOTOROLA own OS)
2. flash the ROM?, never cross my mind, it most remain authentic as it is, that will be a good way to fry it up, it is not my style
3. Yes MOTOROLA wireless + MODEM it is 1000 times more reliable that those pieces of junk you buy every day in tigerdirect or futureshop, pick the brand you want

anon user
@teksavvy.com

anon user

Anon

If they push you for a model number just tell them it is a SB6121 w/ FW 1.0.6.1 that is on the supported list. There are a number of people on this forum that have done this.

frankhomeand
Cisco Geek
join:2004-12-05
Oakland, CA

frankhomeand to manolito2112

to manolito2112
It's probably a shame as if you did put it as a SB6120 you'd probably only get 4/4 channel bonding instead of 8/4.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

said by frankhomeand:

It's probably a shame as if you did put it as a SB6120 you'd probably only get 4/4 channel bonding instead of 8/4.

The model number has nothing to do with how many channels the modem will bond, it will bond the with the most available channels available on the CMTS and how many channels the modem will support.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits

the cerberus

said by JC_:

said by frankhomeand:

The model number has nothing to do with how many channels the modem will bond, it will bond the with the most available channels available on the CMTS and how many channels the modem will support.

Correct, the bonding happens BEFORE the modem is even authorized.
Unauthorized modems bond channels, and then are usually sent to the rogers walled garden where they can order Rogers service (provided the modem firmware can handle it).
While it is possible for Rogers to check, they dont make sure the modem is the model you say it is.
This was made ABUNDANTLY clear when Rogers users started registering Motorola SB6120's as SMC D3 gateways a few years ago.
So basically any docsis 3 modem is fine...... just say its one of the supported modems....

HOWEVER, dont complain to TekSavvy if your unsupported modem EVER has an issue!! You wont get any help there.

Pko200
@teksavvy.com

Pko200 to manolito2112

Anon

to manolito2112
I actually own this modem and have been using it on Teksavvy's network for 1 1/2 years. This is what you do. Call Teksavvy and tell them you have the SB6120 or SB6121 with the latest firmware. Give them the HFC MAC number only and don't give them the gateway MAC number. Teksavvy will also want the customer serial number which is the one with letters and numbers, not the one with the long sequence of numbers. My modem bonds 8 downstream and 4 upstream channels so anybody that says otherwise doesn't own this modem. As for worrying about problems updating firmware, it won't update and brick the modem. It will just ignore updates unless it is the SBG 6580. One other thing, go into the modems settings and disable flood control if it is not disabled already. You might have a newer firmware then mine and not have to do this. If it is not disabled you will suffer huge packet loss. I really like the modem and has served be well. I can't understand why anybody wanting a Motorola would buy a 4 channel model today.
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits

the cerberus

said by Pko200 :

I can't understand why anybody wanting a Motorola would buy a 4 channel model today.

The speed tiers offered will work fine with 4 or 8 channels.
Its up to Rogers to manage the channels.
In another post I listed a scenario where its actually worse to have 8 channels.

It goes like this: 30 customers are on 4 channels 30 customers on another 4.
This is 8 channels of bandwidth.
Now lets examine if all 60 are on 8 channels of bandwidth.
While the POTENTIAL for faster speed tiers is higher on 8 channels, you now are competing with 30 more customers for the SAME amount of bandwidth.
BUT if they are separated (4 channels each) then the same 30 users cant affect the other 30.

Its all about how ROGERS manages the AMOUNT OF CUSTOMERS on the channels.

JC_
Premium Member
join:2010-10-19
Nepean, ON

JC_

Premium Member

That's a good explanation the cerberus of managing channels.

pko200
@teksavvy.com

pko200 to the cerberus

Anon

to the cerberus
Click for full size
A lot of the time theories do not translate into real world experience.There is no guarantee that 50% of the subscribers will be assigned to channels 1-4 and the other 50% channels 5-8. Since I have owned the SBG6580 for 1 1/2 years there has not been any extra congestion for me by being switched to 8 channels from 4. Over this span of time the bonding on my modem has gone from 4x1 to 4x2 and finally 8x4. The only reason to buy older technology is to get it at cheaper price but in this instance it is false economy. The subscriber will just have to buy the same item twice and has not saved any money at all. There are all kinds of erroneous statements about this modem from people that have never owned it.

Gimli
Premium Member
join:2006-01-03
l5a2o4

Gimli

Premium Member

said by pko200 :

A lot of the time theories do not translate into real world experience.There is no guarantee that 50% of the subscribers will be assigned to channels 1-4 and the other 50% channels 5-8. Since I have owned the SBG6580 for 1 1/2 years there has not been any extra congestion for me by being switched to 8 channels from 4. Over this span of time the bonding on my modem has gone from 4x1 to 4x2 and finally 8x4. The only reason to buy older technology is to get it at cheaper price but in this instance it is false economy. The subscriber will just have to buy the same item twice and has not saved any money at all. There are all kinds of erroneous statements about this modem from people that have never owned it.

WOW - and you are basically out of spec for your signal levels and the Motorola keeps you going stable.

That's impressive given the Power Levels you are showing!!
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

2 edits

the cerberus to pko200

to pko200
said by pko200 :

You've entirely missed my point.
There is nothing to gain from 8 channels right now because the speed tiers are low enough that 4 is sufficient.
8 channels isnt providing you with any benefit other than POTENTIAL for high speed tiers that arent even sold right now....
The point is that it is possible to mismanage even 8 channels, so claiming it is some sort of improvement right now is bogus.
There are even scenarios where it is worse (like the one listed above).
As long as ROGERS manages the number of users on the channels properly then the only difference between 8 and 4 is POTENTIAL.

BACONATOR26
Premium Member
join:2000-11-25
Nepean, ON

BACONATOR26

Premium Member

I'm pretty sure there are more than 8 total channels on the node itself. And Rogers is now in the process of upgrading everyone so in a year or two there will be higher speed tiers.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to manolito2112

to manolito2112
said by manolito2112:

if you don't know that, DHCP do not send any model or serial number information from any device

Before you can even send a DHCP request out, the modem has to go through the authentication/authorization procedure (BPI+) with the CMTS and this procedure DOES include modem MAC (HMAC), modem certificate, manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc.

You may be able to fool sign-up tools by passing your modem as something else but when Rogers eventually do an audit and discovered a non-approved device, they will revoke the MAC authorization and you will not be able to use that modem with Rogers ever again.
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by InvalidError:

You may be able to fool sign-up tools by passing your modem as something else but when Rogers eventually do an audit and discovered a non-approved device, they will revoke the MAC authorization and you will not be able to use that modem with Rogers ever again.

That last part doesnt really ever happen if its registered properly.
They are NOT CURRENTLY looking to see if the manufacturer/model matches, just that the serial and MAC is authorized/payed for.
Otherwise I (and many other Rogers users) wouldnt have been able to use SB6120's as SMC D3 gateways for YEARS.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by the cerberus:

Otherwise I (and many other Rogers users) wouldnt have been able to use SB6120's as SMC D3 gateways for YEARS.

Every now and then there is a bunch of people on Rogers' forum complaining that their non-supported modems are no longer working only to find out they got caught in an audit and their modems got removed from the authorized list.

We may never know exactly what triggers those audits nor why Rogers does them arbitrarily across only subsets of their client base instead of systematically on every authorization request but they do happen.
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by InvalidError:

said by the cerberus:

Every now and then there is a bunch of people on Rogers' forum complaining that their non-supported modems are no longer working only to find out they got caught in an audit and their modems got removed from the authorized list.

We may never know exactly what triggers those audits nor why Rogers does them arbitrarily across only subsets of their client base instead of systematically on every authorization request but they do happen.

I wasnt saying audits dont happen, I was just saying that they dont check for what you said (manufacturer/model).

Rogers retail doesnt allow you to use your own modem very easily, and when these people get banned it is because the non rogers modem wasnt registered correctly by the csr (making it look like stolen service which is what the audit is actually looking for).

pko200
@teksavvy.com

pko200

Anon

Click for full size
I agree with cerberus, Rogers is just looking more for stolen service than non approved modems. The funny thing is the SBG6580 is in Rogers database but is not on the approved list. One Rogers customer wanting to activate the SB6120 was told that the SBG6580 was in their database but not the SB6120.They had to provision it as an SMC D3 yet the SB6120 or SB6121 is approved for Teksavvy which is supposedly not in Rogers database. It is all about MONEY. Rogers is getting a cheap deal on that SMC garbage. If a customer wants to pay the extra money they should be able to buy the modem that they want. The Motorola SBG6580 is a great modem which I have been using since 2010 on Teksavvy's network. I keep buying Motorola modems because they are reliable and last a long time. They have a proven track record. I have had various Motorola modems since the late 90's when they made analogue ones. If a customer prefers a non gateway model the SB6180 would be a perfect fit for them. That would work just as well. Look at my signal levels, I am using cheap rg59 coax and the modem is still stable. I could increase my levels by upgrading the cable to rg6 but I haven't had the need to.

bbbc
join:2001-10-02
NorthAmerica

bbbc to manolito2112

to manolito2112
Anyone pulled this provisioning trick, saying you're using an approved device, with TekSavvy West (Shaw territory)? Is the stats page blocked by DOCSIS provisioning or the firmware Shaw pushes out for their approved modems? Obviously, these questions are a means to figure out how to get a modem where you can see what is going on, through the stats page.
manolito2112
canada

manolito2112 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by manolito2112:

if you don't know that, DHCP do not send any model or serial number information from any device

Before you can even send a DHCP request out, the modem has to go through the authentication/authorization procedure (BPI+) with the CMTS and this procedure DOES include modem MAC (HMAC), modem certificate, manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc.

All what they need is serial number + HMAC (both previously provided), BPI+ Indeed include Manufacturer ID in the VENDOR ID portion of the CM-ID frame (3 Bytes),but guess what, is 00:20:40 for ALL MOTOROLA's Cable Modems, useless!, Certificate? is generated after as a proof of identity and encryption
decx
Premium Member
join:2002-06-07
Vancouver, BC

decx to bbbc

Premium Member

to bbbc
said by bbbc:

Is the stats page blocked by DOCSIS provisioning or the firmware Shaw pushes out for their approved modems? Obviously, these questions are a means to figure out how to get a modem where you can see what is going on, through the stats page.

Well it is blocked for the DCM475 so nothing to see unfortunately.
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus to manolito2112

to manolito2112
said by manolito2112:

said by InvalidError:

said by manolito2112:

All what they need is serial number + HMAC (both previously provided), BPI+ Indeed include Manufacturer ID in the VENDOR ID portion of the CM-ID frame (3 Bytes),but guess what, is 00:20:40 for ALL MOTOROLA's Cable Modems, useless!, Certificate? is generated after as a proof of identity and encryption

And SMC D3 gateway isnt motorola. therefore BPI+ on rogers is not looking at Manufacturer ID in the VENDOR ID.
manolito2112
canada

manolito2112 to decx

to decx
I got the modem working, as simple as any other
manolito2112

manolito2112 to elwoodblues

to elwoodblues
Works!
manolito2112

manolito2112 to mp