uniqs

nitzguy
Premium Member
join:2002-07-11
Sudbury, ON

nitzguy to manolito2112

Premium Member

to manolito2112

Re: [Cable] How can I get my SBG6580 Activated with teksavvy?

said by manolito2112:

Agree, Since this is standard DOCSIS 3.0 with backward compatibility with DOCSIS 2.0 and 1.0 modem, it is absolutely logic that will work in term of the protocol, I know this big guys (rogers,bell,etc) love to customize everything, just to pretend they built them, but fortunately DOCSIS protocol was not invented by them, I think what they only need is the MAC address (may be for DHCP Server addition if static IP is chosen) and MAC + (may be serial) for RADIUS user authentication for the PPP, nothing more

Don't know if you've ever seen the actual tool, but there's no Radius user authentication on cable providers in Canada at least....all use DHCP...

Also, they know its an SBG6580 because it reports in as such, unless you have a way of reburning the EEPROM to indicate otherwise...

Anywho, I don't know why anyone would want to activate this thing....wireless built into my modem? No thanks....
manolito2112
join:2006-02-18
canada

manolito2112

1. DHCP is NOT an authentication protocol, It is a configuration protocol that provides basic IP configuration, if you don't know that, DHCP do not send any model or serial number information from any device but the HOST name (filled by you or MOTOROLA own OS)
2. flash the ROM?, never cross my mind, it most remain authentic as it is, that will be a good way to fry it up, it is not my style
3. Yes MOTOROLA wireless + MODEM it is 1000 times more reliable that those pieces of junk you buy every day in tigerdirect or futureshop, pick the brand you want

anon user
@teksavvy.com

anon user

Anon

If they push you for a model number just tell them it is a SB6121 w/ FW 1.0.6.1 that is on the supported list. There are a number of people on this forum that have done this.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError to manolito2112

to manolito2112
said by manolito2112:

if you don't know that, DHCP do not send any model or serial number information from any device

Before you can even send a DHCP request out, the modem has to go through the authentication/authorization procedure (BPI+) with the CMTS and this procedure DOES include modem MAC (HMAC), modem certificate, manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc.

You may be able to fool sign-up tools by passing your modem as something else but when Rogers eventually do an audit and discovered a non-approved device, they will revoke the MAC authorization and you will not be able to use that modem with Rogers ever again.
the cerberus
join:2007-10-16
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by InvalidError:

You may be able to fool sign-up tools by passing your modem as something else but when Rogers eventually do an audit and discovered a non-approved device, they will revoke the MAC authorization and you will not be able to use that modem with Rogers ever again.

That last part doesnt really ever happen if its registered properly.
They are NOT CURRENTLY looking to see if the manufacturer/model matches, just that the serial and MAC is authorized/payed for.
Otherwise I (and many other Rogers users) wouldnt have been able to use SB6120's as SMC D3 gateways for YEARS.
InvalidError
join:2008-02-03

InvalidError

said by the cerberus:

Otherwise I (and many other Rogers users) wouldnt have been able to use SB6120's as SMC D3 gateways for YEARS.

Every now and then there is a bunch of people on Rogers' forum complaining that their non-supported modems are no longer working only to find out they got caught in an audit and their modems got removed from the authorized list.

We may never know exactly what triggers those audits nor why Rogers does them arbitrarily across only subsets of their client base instead of systematically on every authorization request but they do happen.
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by InvalidError:

said by the cerberus:

Every now and then there is a bunch of people on Rogers' forum complaining that their non-supported modems are no longer working only to find out they got caught in an audit and their modems got removed from the authorized list.

We may never know exactly what triggers those audits nor why Rogers does them arbitrarily across only subsets of their client base instead of systematically on every authorization request but they do happen.

I wasnt saying audits dont happen, I was just saying that they dont check for what you said (manufacturer/model).

Rogers retail doesnt allow you to use your own modem very easily, and when these people get banned it is because the non rogers modem wasnt registered correctly by the csr (making it look like stolen service which is what the audit is actually looking for).

pko200
@teksavvy.com

pko200

Anon

Click for full size
I agree with cerberus, Rogers is just looking more for stolen service than non approved modems. The funny thing is the SBG6580 is in Rogers database but is not on the approved list. One Rogers customer wanting to activate the SB6120 was told that the SBG6580 was in their database but not the SB6120.They had to provision it as an SMC D3 yet the SB6120 or SB6121 is approved for Teksavvy which is supposedly not in Rogers database. It is all about MONEY. Rogers is getting a cheap deal on that SMC garbage. If a customer wants to pay the extra money they should be able to buy the modem that they want. The Motorola SBG6580 is a great modem which I have been using since 2010 on Teksavvy's network. I keep buying Motorola modems because they are reliable and last a long time. They have a proven track record. I have had various Motorola modems since the late 90's when they made analogue ones. If a customer prefers a non gateway model the SB6180 would be a perfect fit for them. That would work just as well. Look at my signal levels, I am using cheap rg59 coax and the modem is still stable. I could increase my levels by upgrading the cable to rg6 but I haven't had the need to.
manolito2112
canada

manolito2112 to InvalidError

to InvalidError
said by InvalidError:

said by manolito2112:

if you don't know that, DHCP do not send any model or serial number information from any device

Before you can even send a DHCP request out, the modem has to go through the authentication/authorization procedure (BPI+) with the CMTS and this procedure DOES include modem MAC (HMAC), modem certificate, manufacturer, model number, serial number, etc.

All what they need is serial number + HMAC (both previously provided), BPI+ Indeed include Manufacturer ID in the VENDOR ID portion of the CM-ID frame (3 Bytes),but guess what, is 00:20:40 for ALL MOTOROLA's Cable Modems, useless!, Certificate? is generated after as a proof of identity and encryption
the cerberus
Richmond Hill, ON

the cerberus

said by manolito2112:

said by InvalidError:

said by manolito2112:

All what they need is serial number + HMAC (both previously provided), BPI+ Indeed include Manufacturer ID in the VENDOR ID portion of the CM-ID frame (3 Bytes),but guess what, is 00:20:40 for ALL MOTOROLA's Cable Modems, useless!, Certificate? is generated after as a proof of identity and encryption

And SMC D3 gateway isnt motorola. therefore BPI+ on rogers is not looking at Manufacturer ID in the VENDOR ID.
manolito2112
canada

manolito2112 to the cerberus

to the cerberus
Confirmed, I got it working!