uniqs
share rss forum feed

HarryH3
Premium
join:2005-02-21
kudos:3
reply to Name Game

Re: Is it possible to quit Google?

Even this very page has links to googleapis.com and google-analytics.com. The pages here don't display properly without letting the scripts from googleapis.com run. :-(

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
kudos:2
said by HarryH3:

Even this very page has links to googleapis.com and google-analytics.com. The pages here don't display properly without letting the scripts from googleapis.com run. :-(

Here is what I have in my hosts file:
# Google tracking sites:
127.0.0.1          google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1      www.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1      ssl.google-analytics.com
127.0.0.1           googleanalytics.com
127.0.0.1       www.googleanalytics.com
127.0.0.1       ssl.googleanalytics.com
127.0.0.1         adservices.google.com
127.0.0.1  pagead.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1 pagead2.googlesyndication.com
127.0.0.1             fusion.google.com
127.0.0.1      www.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1  partner.googleadservices.com
127.0.0.1               doubleclick.com
127.0.0.1               doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1            ad.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1      pubads.g.doubleclick.net
127.0.0.1                    urchin.com
127.0.0.1            service.urchin.com
# Tracking:
127.0.0.1                 fastclick.net
127.0.0.1                    hitbox.com
127.0.0.1                  omniture.com
127.0.0.1           clients4.google.com   # chromium TLSv1.1 (443) connection

# Tracking in BBR site:
127.0.0.1           ajax.googleapis.com

Additionally I run Proxomitron filter (with latest sidki's filters) that removes all tracking code from any web sites I visit...

I don't see any problems working with this forum site completely Google free (or at least I don't know about any one).

--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
join:2004-06-24
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

Well, I suppose that with some browser and OS combinations that might be true, but I have never run across a single page or function on this web site that actually required googleapis.com:

Since I keep seeing posters saying that it is required for this site, I haven't yet bothered to block it in my perimeter router/firewall (as I have done with most of the other Google crap sites), but so far I can't recall ever having to actually use it.
--
History does not long entrust the care of freedom to the weak or the timid.
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

Juggernaut
Irreverent or irrelevant?
Premium
join:2006-09-05
Kelowna, BC
Click for full size
I have both set to 'Untrusted'. No issues at all.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by Juggernaut:

I have both set to 'Untrusted'. No issues at all.

I have been told that some of the functions that site moderator's use for editing, moving, deleting unwanted posts require googleapis, but I don't think that there are any user functions that really require it. Perhaps eventually someone with intimate knowledge of this site's unseen functionality might pop into this thread with information either confirming or contradicting that? It is certainly possible that I am actually missing out on some super fancy functions on this site, but I just don't know about it with googleapis blocked.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV
kudos:1
said by NetFixer:

Perhaps eventually someone with intimate knowledge of this site's unseen functionality might pop into this thread with information either confirming or contradicting that?

If I disallow googleapis as illustrated above, it does inhibit mod abilities on the site.

AVD
Respice, Adspice, Prospice
Premium
join:2003-02-06
Onion, NJ
you wont see any vote results without google apis either.

Plus the reply key didn't work, but I don't remember if that was a google thing or some other script issue.
--
--Standard disclaimers apply.--
The preceding posting is null and void in Arizona and any other jurisdiction where prohibited by law.

angussf
Premium
join:2002-01-11
Tucson, AZ
kudos:4
reply to HarryH3
said by HarryH3:

I'm using NoScript on Firefox. google-analytics is in my untrusted list, and googleapis.com doesn't appear in the NoScript list of domains asking to run scripts here. AFAICT the page displays properly.
--
Angus S-F
GeoApps, Tucson, Arizona, USA
»geoapps.com/
»www.linkedin.com/in/angussf
»geoapps.blogspot.com/

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
reply to AVD
said by AVD:

Plus the reply key didn't work, but I don't remember if that was a google thing or some other script issue.

I seem to remember that I have no problems replying, quoting, posting, or editing with googleapis disabled (this reply for example was made with googleapis disabled). And while I seldom bother looking at poll posts, I can't recall ever having a problem seeing the results of the few I have viewed with googleapis disabled.

[disclaimer]YMMV[/disclaimer]
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 recommendation

reply to KeysCapt
said by KeysCapt:

If I disallow googleapis as illustrated above, it does inhibit mod abilities on the site.

Thanks. Sounds like another reason (aside from the obvious reasons) to not want a moderator job on this site.
--
-- Dwight D. Eisenhower

KeysCapt
FAQ Master
join:2001-07-11
Carson City, NV

3 recommendations

said by NetFixer:

Thanks. Sounds like another reason (aside from the obvious reasons) to not want a moderator job on this site.

One of many.

OZO
Premium
join:2003-01-17
reply to NetFixer
said by NetFixer:

said by AVD:

I seem to remember that I have no problems replying, quoting, posting, or editing with googleapis disabled (this reply for example was made with googleapis disabled). And while I seldom bother looking at poll posts, I can't recall ever having a problem seeing the results of the few I have viewed with googleapis disabled.

[disclaimer]YMMV[/disclaimer]

I can confirm that. There is no problem with replying, quoting, posting, or editing. And there is no any problem with participating in polls or viewing results. As I mentioned earlier, in my environment Google tracking is permanently blocked.
--
Keep it simple, it'll become complex by itself...

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
reply to HarryH3
To get back on topic:
said by HarryH3:

Even this very page has links to googleapis.com and google-analytics.com.

Ghostery only finds two trackers on this page: Google Adsense and Google Analytics.

I'm not running NoScript, but from Net Fixer's and Juggernaut's posts back on page 1, it looks like NoScript blocks google-analytics.com and googleapis.com.

Is googleapis.com tied into Google Adsense? If not, wonder why Ghostery is not blocking it. Or why NoScript is not blocking Google Adsense.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

2 edits
said by jupitermoon:

To get back on topic:

said by HarryH3:

Even this very page has links to googleapis.com and google-analytics.com.

Ghostery only finds two trackers on this page: Google Adsense and Google Analytics.

I'm not running NoScript, but from Net Fixer's and Juggernaut's posts back on page 1, it looks like NoScript blocks google-analytics.com and googleapis.com.

Is googleapis.com tied into Google Adsense? If not, wonder why Ghostery is not blocking it. Or why NoScript is not blocking Google Adsense.

I think that the Google Adsense is only visible to non-members, or members who don't use this site's built-in Google ad blocking option. Give me a couple of minutes and I will log out and verify if that is the case.

EDIT:
OK, I just got through with temporarily disabling the site blocking in my perimeter router, logging into this site anonymously, and temporarily telling NoScript to allow everything for this site. After that I did see Google ads, and links to google.com/..../adsense/... and also links to doubleclick.net. After restoring my network and browser config to normal, I now only see the NoScript blocked google-analytics and googleapis entries in the NoScript menu. I think that googlesyndication.com was the gateway to the other google sites that I saw without my normal google blocking code.

--
We can never have enough of nature.
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

jupitermoon

join:2011-09-27
I normally don't log in unless I'm going to post. When I logged in, Google Adsense was gone.

This site has "built-in Google ad blocking"? Where is that? I checked all the Preferences settings under the Members tab but I didn't see anything like that. The image you posted looks like you enabled web site blocking in your Comcast router.

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage

1 edit
said by jupitermoon:

I normally don't log in unless I'm going to post. When I logged in, Google Adsense was gone.

This site has "built-in Google ad blocking"? Where is that? I checked all the Preferences settings under the Members tab but I didn't see anything like that. The image you posted looks like you enabled web site blocking in your Comcast router.

The "Google ad blocking" is actually called "No banner ads" and it is located in the Members/Account tab.

Yes, I do have web site blocking enabled in my Comcast gateway router. That is where I found that I had to temporarily enable googlesyndication.com before I could actually see the DSLR Google ads (even if I had temporarily enabled everything in NoScript).

Below is a screen shot of this forum when I am not logged in. You can see that googlesyndication.com is showing as an automatic block by NoScript (it is not there when logged in). However even if I allow it in NoScript, I still don't see the ads because googlesyndication (and other tracking sites) are blocked in my router.

FWIW, I don't use the web site blocking or NoScript specifically as an ad blocker. I consider it a privacy/security block, but third party ad blocking is a nice side benefit. Sites that don't use the tracking sites that I block and/or offsite iframes for their ads are rewarded by having their ads displayed (and I have no problem with that; I am not opposed to sites using ads to defray their costs in the same manner that broadcast and print media use ads).
--
We need to witness our own limits transgressed, and some life pasturing freely where we never wander.

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
said by NetFixer:

said by jupitermoon:

The "Google ad blocking" is actually called "No banner ads" and it is located in the Members/Account tab.

Yes, I do have web site blocking enabled in my Comcast gateway router. That is where I found that I had to temporarily enable googlesyndication.com before I could actually see the DSLR Google ads (even if I had temporarily enabled everything in NoScript).

Below is a screen shot of this forum when I am not logged in. You can see that googlesyndication.com is showing as an automatic block by NoScript (it is not there when logged in). However even if I allow it in NoScript, I still don't see the ads because googlesyndication (and other tracking sites) are blocked in my router.

[att=1]

FWIW, I don't use the web site blocking or NoScript specifically as an ad blocker. I consider it a privacy/security block, but third party ad blocking is a nice side benefit. Sites that don't use the tracking sites that I block and/or offsite iframes for their ads are rewarded by having their ads displayed (and I have no problem with that; I am not opposed to sites using ads to defray their costs in the same manner that broadcast and print media use ads).

I have no setting called "no banner ads" in any tab within the member settings, including the member/account tab.

You appear to be a premium member....wonder if that's why you have that setting.

--
GuruGuy

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by GuruGuy:

I have no setting called "no banner ads" in any tab within the member settings, including the member/account tab.

You appear to be a premium member....wonder if that's why you have that setting.

The screen shot below shows where I see that setting, and perhaps you are correct about the premium membership being the reason...I was not aware of that since I have always been a premium member (I needed that so that I could use tool points for certain site features that a couple of clients required me to use).

--

GuruGuy

join:2002-12-16
Atlanta, GA
said by NetFixer:

said by GuruGuy:

The screen shot below shows where I see that setting, and perhaps you are correct about the premium membership being the reason...I was not aware of that since I have always been a premium member (I needed that so that I could use tool points for certain site features that a couple of clients required me to use).

[att=1]

My setting is exactly like your picture, without the "no banner ads" setting. I would bet it's the Premium membership that allows you to disable showing the ads.
--
GuruGuy

NetFixer
Bah Humbug
Premium
The Boro
Reviews:
·Cingular Wireless
·Comcast Business..
·Vonage
said by GuruGuy:

My setting is exactly like your picture, without the "no banner ads" setting. I would bet it's the Premium membership that allows you to disable showing the ads.

I just clicked on the "register" link from a non-logged in session (to see if I could see any explanation of exactly what is included with premium membership), and it would appear that this site is not currently accepting new premium members. I wonder what's up with that?

--