spc
Search similar:

uniqs
zod5000
join:2003-10-21
Victoria, BC

zod5000

Slow Speeds in Victoria?

Is anyone experiencing slow speeds in Victoria? (I'm in the Gorge area)

My upload is ok, but my download is running at half speed. IE about 25-28 mbps while i'm on bb50.

My connection has been pretty rock solid since I moved to bb50. I hadn't experienced any node congestion in the last year. I would find it odd to all of a sudden get node congestion of this degree that runs around the clock.

They wierd thing is I lost cable FM radio the other day around the same time I started experiencing the slowdown. I was wonder if Shaw was maybe playing around with the frequencies the modem uses or something.
zod5000

zod5000

Additional Note:

The DS light on my cisco modem is orange instead of green.

I did some googling. Apparently this means that its having problems bonding different channels, so is running in narrow band?

I guess that would explain the slow speeds. It seems it can be caused by congestion in the area... ugh.
don00
join:2004-07-22
Victoria, BC

don00

same speeds, same area. Pegged at 29-30 mbps on BB100. Never had any speed issues in over a year. I assume it's just a temporary glitch, possibly related to the FM change? I get 100+ even at peak times, so I really doubt the area's congested, and not to such an extreme degree in so little time.

No clue what my modem says, as it has a nice strip of black tape to hide the blinding LEDs.:P
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

stolen to zod5000

to zod5000
said by zod5000:

Additional Note:

The DS light on my cisco modem is orange instead of green.

I guess that would explain the slow speeds. It seems it can be caused by congestion in the area... ugh.

Have you reset the modem? It won't recover by itself unfortunately. If it still doesn't go green after a reset, call into shaw (or message ShawSean) as you could have a levels problem. It's not congestion, congestion doesn't break bonding.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

1 edit

zod5000

Update #2:

It seems to be working fine this morning. The DS light went back to green overnight. We'll see if this holds up when I get back from work.

I did try to reset the modem (but disconnecting the power) several times over the past few days. It didn't work.

I too am wondering if its something to do with the reclamation of the FM frequencies, especially since someone else in my area experienced the same issue.
ravenchilde
join:2011-04-01

ravenchilde

Different frequencies carry signal better/worse or experience more noise/interference.

I recommend you call into Shaw just to make sure your signal levels are good. Or use on the online concierge chat.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

I will if the problem continues to persist. I am in an apartment building (in an end unit). The Shaw tech that installed it mentioned the signal quality in my apartment was fairly weak. He said he wasn't supposed to use an amp, but it was the only way the signal would be strong enough in my unit for bb50. That setup has worked pretty good for a year, so I'm thinking the drop in quality might be something external.

My preference is not to call shaw because I'd hate for another tech to take out the amp then the signals would be too weak for my services.
stolen
join:2004-04-12
Calgary, AB

1 recommendation

stolen

said by zod5000:

My preference is not to call shaw because I'd hate for another tech to take out the amp then the signals would be too weak for my services.

Let me get this straight.

You *pay* for services from shaw, and you're worried that they're going to leave you broken if you call them to fix you up?

They may have even fixed the levels and now the amp that's been installed is what's causing the issue.

seriously, just call the damned company that you've been forking money over to and make sure you're not going to have problems later.

ShawSean
join:2010-07-16
Vernon, BC

ShawSean to zod5000

to zod5000
If problems persist let me know, we'll take a look at your levels etc. to see if there's any red flags.

Cheers.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde to stolen

to stolen
said by stolen:

You *pay* for services from shaw, and you're worried that they're going to leave you broken if you call them to fix you up?

They may have even fixed the levels and now the amp that's been installed is what's causing the issue.

seriously, just call the damned company that you've been forking money over to and make sure you're not going to have problems later.

This post requires a huge LIKE button. Too bad there is no "up voting" system on these forums. +1 for Stolen.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

1 edit

zod5000 to stolen

to stolen
said by stolen:

said by zod5000:

I think Telus made me paranoid. Half the time when they upgraded your package something would go wrong. Then they'd decide afterwards that you don't qualify for that speed and downgrade your package.... even though you'd rather have the faster glitchy connection that a slower one.

I've never actually had any problems like that with Shaw. I suppose I should stop being paranoid (allthough I'm still the kind of person that will wait a few days to see if a problem fixes itself.. especially if putting up with it means 25-30mpbs instead of 50.).

It still seems to be running ok.
don00
join:2004-07-22
Victoria, BC

don00 to zod5000

to zod5000
Speed's back to normal for me too.

I agree about trying to limit tech calls. I rarely call Shaw--3 times in over 10 years, I think--but when I do, there is always something they caused that needs to be fixed. For example, the last tech call resulted in my email accounts disappearing from my account. The service call was in no way related to the Internet. I don't even know how that would have happened, since billing and Internet usage were still linked. It got fixed, but still.
zod5000
Victoria, BC

zod5000

said by don00:

Speed's back to normal for me too.

I agree about trying to limit tech calls. I rarely call Shaw--3 times in over 10 years, I think--but when I do, there is always something they caused that needs to be fixed. For example, the last tech call resulted in my email accounts disappearing from my account. The service call was in no way related to the Internet. I don't even know how that would have happened, since billing and Internet usage were still linked. It got fixed, but still.

I agree. If my internet had crawled down to 5mbps or something I'd probably call and complain fairly quickly. At 25-30mbps it was still very usable and I wasn't in a rush to call tech support about it. I generally like to post in this forum too. If more than 1 person in my area is experiencing the exact same issue I'm much less inclined to call in. In those circumstances shaw usually figures it out on their own.
ravenchilde

ravenchilde

I understand you don't want to spend the time, but the sooner you call, often the sooner you'll get fixed. Stolen and I seem to agree that if you're paying for the service, you should get it fixed as soon as you can. If you are more laissez-faire about it, then so be it.