MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA
·PenTeleData
ARRIS SB8200

cypherstream to TheDoc46

MVM

to TheDoc46

Re: Comcast's low res iGuide - is there any hope in sight ?

Your preaching to the choir TheDoc46!

I've been pushing for this for ever. I ended up moving and where I move the cable company uses the same ugly, outdated software. I decided to go with DirecTV.

With DirecTV I can play my DVR recordings in any room. I can even play it on my Computer with DirecTV2PC. I can control any receiver with the iPad app, set recordings and even watch some live streaming channels on the iPad. The DirecTV DVR has 16:9 high resolution graphics up to 1080p. It features YouTube, Pandora, and other TV Apps like sports scores, weather, horoscopes, social TV (post to twitter and facebook), etc... There's high resolution poster art and even pictures of actors and actresses in the extended info. You can select an actor and actress and see what other movies they are in coming on in the next two weeks. The VOD screens are all high resolution graphics and each VOD channel is branded with it's own backgrounds and color schemes. The DVR hard drive is 500GB and HD is recorded in MPEG4 which is at least a 30% improvement over MPEG2 in terms of how much "space" an HD show takes up on the hard drive.

I wouldn't consider going back to cable unless they made the UI better. The UI is how you interact with the service. If they make it horrible to find something to watch, might as well not watch anything. They also would have to organize the channel lineup better and offer to hide or eliminate SD duplicate channels. I love how when I want channel 10 in HD, I simply type 10 and it's in HD. No more HD prompts to switch channels, or odd dual channel lineups to remember. So simple even the wife and in laws can watch HD!
mariod
join:2009-06-16

mariod

I have no idea why you're shilling for Direct TV here.
LoveHD
join:2011-07-31
Detroit, MI

LoveHD

Dish Network has the same concept for a more organized channel lineup. If that's "shilling," I'll gladly join cypherstream and TheDoc46 in saying Comcast needs to step up.

cypherstream
MVM
join:2004-12-02
Reading, PA

cypherstream to mariod

MVM

to mariod
Guy has a problem with it and I offered a solution.

I don't care if he goes DirecTV, or heck gets the Hopper from Dish Network. Hell, maybe Verizon Fios is available too, who knows.