spacer

how-to block ads

Search Topic:
uniqs
share rss forum feed

Omari

@rogers.com

[Extreme] Will the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router work With Teksa

Will the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router work With Teksavvy?
I know it's not on the approved list but I have Rogers currently and I'm deactivating at the end of the month and want to switch to Teksavvy.

Currently with Rogers I rent through them the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router that I want to purchase online from an outside retailer. I called Teksavvy and the rep on the phone told me that if it's not the on approved list on the Teksavvy website it will not work due to the firmware being different (different service as quoted from rep)!?!?

How can the firmware be different if they are using Rogers infrastructure?? I work for Rogers so I know a Rogers technician is going to install the service for me, for Teksavvy. So why would the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router not work with Teksavvy, can someone please verify this for me or educate me otherwise why this modem won't work!?!?!?

The Teksavvy rep sounded like she was just reading a script.

Please reply ASAP as I end my services with Rogers at the end of the month and want Teksavvy in as soon as Rogers is deactivated and my modem is ready for the tech to install.

Thanks

elitefx

join:2011-02-14
London, ON
kudos:2

1 edit

Re: [Extreme] Will the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router work With T

A- Nobody EVER voluntarily went out and bought a DPC3825 Gateway.
They were forced on us by Rogers.
B - Both Teksavvy and Start.Ca support Motorola SB6121 modems. The choice of Gamers everywhere.
C - Modem firmware has nothing to do with the Rogers network. Firmware is simply a Bios in the modem to tell it what to do.
D - All Rogers needs to activate a modem is the MAC address. No model #, no serial #, just the MAC address. Rogers just uses the serial to index the modem in their database. Means nothing on the receiving end.
E - Sure says a lot when even Rogers employees won't deal with Rogers.
F - Good Luck and do yourself a favor and forget the DPC3825.....

Omari

@rogers.com

But the Motorola SB6121 modems only has one Ethernet port, I need at least 2 for my set up at home. The approve modem list on Teksavvy kinda sucks and I'm not seeing a modem on with at least 2 Ethernet ports. Any recommendations??

My set up at home is desk top computer in upstairs den with Rogers Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router cable modem hooked up with directly with Ethernet cable in port one.

Port #2 of Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router, is a 50ft Ethernet cable from from cable modem along first floor ceiling (wrapped around along a pipe) to D-Link router, on first floor.

Desk top computer #2 hooked up to D-Link router via Ethernet cable and to the 40 inch TV (I don't do cable TV service).

Playing games online with Xbox or PS3 I have never had a problem with the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router cable modem. Should I just order this modem any ways and have the technician set it up, or is it a issue that I would have to call into Teksavvy to have them activate the modem for it to work!?!!

anon user

@teksavvy.com

If your insistent on the Cisco, it will work but it is not on the supported list. Which means they wont even attempt to help you. Notice I say attempt, Teksavvy's support is incompetent and no better than Rogers. Take a look at the forum with the constant disconnections, at least 10 threads, no hope in sight. I suffer from this every day on a SB6121.

That said, when activating your modem, just tell them it is one of the approved modems. eg SB6121. They don't verify this info. Then give them the right mac address / serial number.

I'm looking at moving to a DPC3010 myself as it is very similar to the DPC3825 but without the router functionality.

Even though other modems are on the approved list. Rogers definitely makes a bigger effort to make sure the Cisco's work the best IMO.

elitefx

London, ON
reply to Omari

you don't have a modem issue. you have a wiring/network issue. all standalone modems only have one ethernet port. the modem connects the ISP's network to your home network only. in your home network it's the routers job to distribute the internet.
put your modem and a wireless router on the first floor and connect the internet to your den computer using a wireless USB key. very simple. very effective.
Get yourself a Motorola SB6121, a high quality Wireless "N" Gigabit 4 port router and a Wireless "N" USB key. Get rid of that 50ft. cable. You'll Thank yourself for years to come....

Omari

@rogers.com
reply to anon user

said by anon user :

That said, when activating your modem, just tell them it is one of the approved modems. eg SB6121. They don't verify this info. Then give them the right mac address / serial number.

Ok just to verify and understand this, tell Teksavvy that I have a Motorola SB6121 - 1.0.6.1, then give them right mac address / serial number for the Cisco DPC3825 Wireless Router cable modem that I would be using?

If I go with this plan when do I call Teksavvy to give them this info, after the technician sets up everything, while he is setting up everything or B4 I place the order?

Anon user

@teksavvy.com

That's right. You will give this to Teksavvy over the phone when placing the order. No technician will come to you house if you already have Rogers. You just connect the new modem when the old one stops working.

Omari

@rogers.com
reply to elitefx

said by elitefx:

Get yourself a Motorola SB6121, a high quality Wireless "N" Gigabit 4 port router and a Wireless "N" USB key. Get rid of that 50ft. cable. You'll Thank yourself for years to come....

Thanks for the input elitefx, I would apply your instructions but I forgot to mention that the metal ceilings in my loft/ apartment interferes with the wireless signal. Plus the CPU in the den is for my video editing and we do a lot of uploading and downloading.

»www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1x7drXZFWc

Omari

@rogers.com
reply to Anon user

said by Anon user :

That's right. You will give this to Teksavvy over the phone when placing the order. No technician will come to you house if you already have Rogers. You just connect the new modem when the old one stops working.

I knew that B!#$% at Teksavvy didn't know what she was talking about, thanks Anon, I will proceed with the Cisco.

I'm going to order the modem from Microcad Computer Corporation. When you purchase any modem out side the tele communication corps or from the manufacturer, they don't say anything in the specs for which provider they are compatible with so why would it matter.

This internet BS is really getting out of hand with these companies trying to force down modems on consumers to use.

rawdmon

join:2012-07-18

Please post your experience here after you've spoken with Teksavvy about it. I'm in the same boat as you, that I've ordered a DPC3825 (haven't received it yet) and want to know whether or not I can use it with Teksavvy once it arrives. I'm sure it'll work from a technical standpoint but there's always the helpdesk politics to deal with.

Thanks.

Omari

join:2012-08-09

@Rawdmon: Yes it will work, Anon was right do exactly what he says and it will work fine. This whole compatible modems with different providers or firmware compatibility problems is complete B.S.!! This is just a tool the internet providers use to sell modem units, that's it.

The only thing that is accurate is depending on your speed of internet you either get a DOCSIS 2 or DOCSIS 3 modem.

So far so good for me, happy Teksavvy customer with the Cisco DPC3825 modem. :-D

Omari

Ok, actually update the Cisco DPC3825 with the latest firmware update before you proceed. It connects and then drops after like 30min and then you have to reload the page a couple of time to connect again.

I had this exact modem with Rogers before and it was fast with no problems. Something that Rogers do is update the firmware, or already has the update installed to the modems they have in stock. Teksavvy won't do that or inform you where to go to get this done but check out the Cisco website for the drivers.

»www.cisco.com/web/consumer/suppo···~drivers

Omari

reply to Omari

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!WARNING WARNING WARNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OOOOOKKKKK only get the Cisco DPC3825 modem if you know how to manually push the firmware on it. If not you are going to have a hard time on Teksavvy as with old firmware on (bought through 3rd party supplier) it has trouble logging into websites and keeps dropping connection after about 15-30 min.

If I was with Rogers, they will update the firmware for my modem, since I've been looking all over the internet, firmware can not be found and can only be obtained by the ISP's.

When Cisco DPC3825 connects, it's fast but not reliable on Teksavvy's network because the modem is not supported and if it's not working up to your standard they either don't have access to the firmware (due to Rogers) or they just don't want to help the customer.

TO KEEP IT SIMPLE stick to Motorola approved list on Teksavvy. I should have listened to Elitefx and saved myself the hassle and money but I've learned a lot, first hand through my experience.

Gawd, this modem worked beautifully on Rogers, why why why!?!?!?

Omari

reply to Omari

Ok everyone SCRAP, IGNORE, DO NOT FOLLOW my last 2 post I submitted!!!!!!!!

If you want to use the Cisco DPC3825 follow "anon user" instructions in the 4th post in this thread and then, disable the IP flood controls in the modems security > firewall > Block IP Flood Detection (un-check mark this option) And then say HELLO to blistering speeds, and no drop out connections! :-D

It's amazing that Teksavvy Tech Support won't even consider this option to un-check mark 'Block IP Flood Detection'. But rather restart the modem and attempt or do a factory reset which wouldn't have resolved the issue.

Now I'm back to my original belief: Firmware, compatibility of modems on different ISP's is total B.S. unless I'm proven wrong.

Teksavvy's got the name and the service but not the Tech Support?!?!?!?

AOD
Premium
join:2008-01-24
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:1
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable

said by Omari:

Ok everyone SCRAP, IGNORE, DO NOT FOLLOW my last 2 post I submitted!!!!!!!!

If you want to use the Cisco DPC3825 follow "anon user" instructions in the 4th post in this thread and then, disable the IP flood controls in the modems security > firewall > Block IP Flood Detection (un-check mark this option) And then say HELLO to blistering speeds, and no drop out connections! :-D

It's amazing that Teksavvy Tech Support won't even consider this option to un-check mark 'Block IP Flood Detection'. But rather restart the modem and attempt or do a factory reset which wouldn't have resolved the issue.

Now I'm back to my original belief: Firmware, compatibility of modems on different ISP's is total B.S. unless I'm proven wrong.

Teksavvy's got the name and the service but not the Tech Support?!?!?!?

Why should Teksavvy be responsible for providing support on a cable modem they do not have on the approved list?

Omari

Well I did explain my connecting problem to Teksavvy and IP Flood Detection is an option on all or most modems. I stumbled upon this looking into the Motorola SBG6580 in another forum where a user recommended to disable this (un check mark it) in the modem config settings.

Also when I was having problems with the Cisco DPC3825 I went to Tiger Direct to get the Motorola SB6120 -1.0.6.1 which is on the approved list. When I called Teksavvy Tech Support to approve this modem they asked me to give them the firmware on it, they said that this modem was out of date and they don't have new firmware to support the modem. This modem is on their approved list, if it won't work or maybe some do and some don't, why advertise on the website to then go out and purchase to then be told that it won't work and your $$$ is wasted!?!!?

So back to the Cisco DPC3825 browsing for hours over a 2 day period to see if I can get this modem working I came across the IP Flood Detection in the modems security (which I thought at the time was only an option in the Motorola SBG6580) and when I unchecked it, lord behold it was running perfectly.

So this brings me back to my original belief, does firmware really have anything to do with compatibility on ISP's? Teksavvy Tech support should be aware of the IP Flood Detection in it's own modems that may cause disconnect issues due to packet loss. Who knows, the Motorola SB6120 -1.0.6.1 that I had probably and most likely would have worked but Teksavvy Tech Support or other ISP's keeps talking "firmware this and firmware that", and "in-compatibility" problems or "not approved modems" on their network. What is the REAL reason for modems not being approved on their network if they work perfectly!!?!??!

This also sounds like they are unsure even with their own modems on their approved list. On top of that I just proved their bluff, other modems can work on their network and what does that say for the modems on their approved list? If tech support rejected the Motorola SB6120 -1.0.6.1 due to "out of date firmware" and no "firmware updates" for that modem, what about the others on the approved list??

If I wasn't so stubborn, I or anyone else would have said "screw Teksavvy, I'm going back to Rogers". Teksavvy boast about "TekSavvy fights to protect Canadian Rights online." But when you switch it's a big problem when it comes to modems. If Teksavvy wants more customers they got to make it easier for customers to switch.

1. We should have the right to have the modem of our choice if we are buying it out right and not renting.

2. More selections of Modems to actually purchase from them on their approved list, only being able to purchase a 1 port ethernet connection modem from Teksavvy is stupid. Other people may have work around's with wireless routers and switches, etc. But the masses want easy set up, the reason why is Rogers and the other big ISP's keep making more money and why people keep adding unapproved modems to the Teksavvy network or other ISP's. Give customers more selection and it will eliminate everything I'm talking about.

3. Tech Support should know more to help out customers. Why call them if they are just going to read a script and if that scrips doesn't work they will blame your computer and wash their hands clean. Also with these forums (thank gawd) you get more assistance here or on the web, rather than calling tech support. Why is that? What are we paying them for, just for the sake of a company having a department "tech support"?!?!

In any business, build the people first and then the business will build it self. If you don't, you just have fancy advertising to get the customers there to buy to then leave, go to another ISP or back to their last ISP because they ran into incompetence, in experienced "professional", or bad customer service.

Anyhow I'm a happy Teksavvy customer thus far due to being stubborn to get it working and not giving up. Also I was not really "tech savvy" before this whole incident but over the last 2 days I've learned a lot about modems, IP addresses, etc. So I can't complain about the knowledge I've gained. :-D

elitefx

London, ON

2 edits

said by Omari:

only being able to purchase a 1 port ethernet connection modem from Teksavvy is stupid.

Yea, I think you're confusing a standalone modem with a Gateway modem/router combo. A standalone modem only needs a single ethernet port because those in the know connect that single port to a 4 port wireless "N" gigabit router.This is the preferred and most secure way of doing things.
IMHO Gateways are insecure and dangerous. Why? Because the ISP has control over the connection. A couple lines of code transmitted to your Gateway and the ISP has complete care,control and access to your computer/network and all your secure information contained within. Hell, there's Freeware out there that they can use to access and control your system. Rogers,Teksavvy etc may be beyond reproach or have to much to lose to engage in unscrupulous activity but their employees are another story.
If you absolutely need to buy a Gateway ALWAYS run it in bridge mode and use your own separate Wireless router that controls access to your network by a secure WPA2 (Wi-Fi Protect Access 2) password.
Wireless routers are a breeze to set up by anyone that can read/follow directions. No special expertise required.