No-BHELL-ity DOES have its Advantages
Premium
join:2009-06-15
START Today!
kudos:7
reply to El Quintron

Re: Router ALT Firmware for QoS for VoIP

said by El Quintron:

Another vote for Shibby/Toastman here... All Tomato firmwares have excellent QoS though, so you can't go wrong.

Now, for the Caramilk secret - HOW do I get it IN there ?

Do I use my WRT54GL router's factory firmware upgrade page and point it to the downloaded image file, or use Shibby's TFTP app ?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
join:2008-04-28
Etobicoke, ON
kudos:4
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Davesnothere:

Now, for the Caramilk secret - HOW do I get it IN there ?

Do I use my WRT54GL router's factory firmware upgrade page and point it to the downloaded image file, or use Shibby's TFTP app ?

Assuming you had Tomato/MLPPP on there, you would upgrade from your management area, clear nvram and everything should be good to go.

If you're back on stock the easiest way is to flash dd-wrt mini, and then flash the version of tomato you want afterwards, and clear the nvram.

I've only ever tried TFTP on my WNDR3700v2 (the replacement for my RT-N16) and I've never had any luck with it, others may want to chime in, but I haven't succeeded to flash anything with TFTP.
--
Support Bacteria -- It's the Only Culture Some People Have

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

3 edits

said by El Quintron:

....If you're back on stock the easiest way is to flash dd-wrt mini, and then flash the version of tomato you want afterwards, and clear the nvram....

Mine is factory, with 'recent' update.

Yes, I've heard before of some version of DD-WRT being specified here as a step for other F/Ws on a WRT54 series, prob'ly with regard to MLPPP.

So I use the factory F/W to flash in the DD-WRT Mini, next use DD-WRT Mini to flash in the Tomato, then clear the NVRAM from within the Tomato GUI, and finally add my custom settings such as port forwards ?

Will it retain any of my original settings thru all of this, particularly my non-standard local IP address for the router ?

--

We have only 2 things about which to worry :
(1) That things may never get back to normal
(2) That they already HAVE !

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Davesnothere:

Will it retain any of my original settings thru all of this, particularly my non-standard local IP address for the router ?

No you'll have to configure everything all over again when you clear the nvram, but it's very easy with Tomato.
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

said by El Quintron:

said by Davesnothere:

No you'll have to configure everything all over again when you clear the nvram, but it's very easy with Tomato.

But everything else I recapped above was OK, and my strange IP stays, right up until when I clear the NVRAM, and then defaults to 192.168.1.1 ?

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON

Once you clear the nvram you should end up with 192.168.1.1 with a userid of "root" and password of "admin"
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

K00L, thanks.

But everything else I recapped 2 posts ago (now bolded) was correct ?

I plan to do this tonight, and want to have the least chance of bricking, etc.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL

said by Davesnothere:

But everything else I recapped 2 posts ago (now bolded) was correct ?

So I use the factory F/W to flash in the DD-WRT Mini, next use DD-WRT Mini to flash in the Tomato, then clear the NVRAM from within the Tomato GUI, and finally add my custom settings such as port forwards ?

That's how I did it, and I've never bricked a WRT54GL... others might want to chime in here, but it's a pretty though to brick unit.
--

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

2 edits

said by El Quintron:

said by Davesnothere:

Recap : So I use the factory F/W to flash in the DD-WRT Mini, next use DD-WRT Mini to flash in the Tomato, then clear the NVRAM from within the Tomato GUI, and finally add my custom settings such as port forwards ?

That's how I did it, and I've never bricked a WRT54GL... others might want to chime in here, but it's a pretty though to brick unit.

Thanks - Good to hear.

I have read a fair bit on the DD-WRT site overnight and saw some major cautions & directives, many of which might well be applied to ANY firmware changing scenario.

The most notable one (besides being sure that you have a validated and correct firmware for your device) would seem to be doing this so-called '30-30-30 Hard Reset' »www.dd-wrt.com/wiki/index.php/Ha···30/30/30 of which they preach incessantly, before/after/between each firmware update.

Gone
Premium
join:2011-01-24
Fort Erie, ON

It has been my experience that the way they go on and on about a 30-30-30 is overkill, but it ultimately depends on the router. I've had to do 30-30-30s far more often with the M10s were use here than my WRT610N and WRT320N at home.

Davesnothere
Premium
START Today!

4 edits
reply to Davesnothere

....contd

So this morning I proceeded to put the DD-WRT Mini into there (v24 SP1 Stable Generic Mini), using the below steps :

(00) Save various instructional web pages to offline as suggested
(0) Make & save Screenshots of current router GUI config screens
(1) Download firmwares and confirm MD5 hashes
(2) Set router LAN IP to Linksys default 192.168.1.1 and a PC to a static IP on the same subnet
(3) Do a 30-30-30 Hard Reset of router
(4) Bring up router GUI again using default admin/admin
(5) Do firmware update to DD-WRT Mini from within factory GUI
(6) Log into router DD-WRT for 1st time, using default of admin/admin, IIRC
(7) Do a 30-30-30 Hard Reset of router
(8) Log into router DD-WRT, setting a new password when prompted
(9) Undo IP changes of (2) and log in again (Steps 2 and 9 are optional - not needed if you had always used default router IP)

Then I looked around in the GUI and began to reconstruct my other settings, WiFi, port forwards, etc.

All went well.

AND, I then noticed that DD-WRT Mini seems to include some QoS functionality !

SO, the $64,000 question now is :

Do I need to change to Tomato (or to the VoIP-named larger DD-WRT build), or will the QoS functions of this MINI be sufficient ?

From what I have noted so far, the QoS page in MINI looks like it just might be OK.

BTW, I did NOT clear my NVRAM so far - Should I still do that if I stay with DD-WRT-Mini ?

FiReSTaRT
Premium
join:2010-02-26
Canada

I'd go with flashing to Tomato. Only done one flash through DD-WRT so I can't help you there as it's been A WHILE. Went the TFTP route ever since as it's a lot easier, especially from Linux.

El Quintron
Resident Mouth Breather
Premium
Etobicoke, ON
Reviews:
·TekSavvy Cable
·TekSavvy DSL
reply to Davesnothere

said by Davesnothere:

From what I have noted so far, the QoS page in MINI looks like it just might be OK.

If it ain't broke... really that's up to you, I vastly prefer *anything* other than DD-WRT so I'm completely biased, if this works for you then you're probably good to go, until you need it to do something it currently doesn't.

said by Davesnothere:

BTW, I did NOT clear my NVRAM so far - Should I still do that if I stay with DD-WRT-Mini ?

It's usually a good idea to do so, or to do some sort of reset so that you don't have any leftover configs from previous incarnations. That being said, some DD-WRTs prefer the 30-30-30 over "clear nvram" so check your documentation.
--